FMS and Surgery?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Wingingit, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

Hi All
    I tried searching the archives for this, but found nothing
    so I need to ask you...
    I have the option of having a surgical abdominal procedure
    which, if successful will improve my quality of life (kind of sensitive, so won't go into details).
    Unfortunately I have had concerns due to the fact that I came out of another abdominal surgery with a "winged scapula" and long thoracic nerve damage.
    Also, as in all surgeries, there are risks. With this one, there is a slight chance it may not work and another surgery will be required if it doesn't.
    Now I have to contend with the FMS problem and add it to the list of factors to consider.
    I am sure many of you with FMS have had to undergo a surgical procedure...Did it have any effect on your FMS? ie.
    were your FMS symptoms any different after surgery?
    My concern is that if the FMS was caused by an autoimmune response to trauma such as surgery, could having surgery make my symptoms worse, or am I being overly paranoid about this in your wise opinions?
    Luv ya all
    Thanks
  2. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

Hi All
    I tried searching the archives for this, but found nothing
    so I need to ask you...
    I have the option of having a surgical abdominal procedure
    which, if successful will improve my quality of life (kind of sensitive, so won't go into details).
    Unfortunately I have had concerns due to the fact that I came out of another abdominal surgery with a "winged scapula" and long thoracic nerve damage.
    Also, as in all surgeries, there are risks. With this one, there is a slight chance it may not work and another surgery will be required if it doesn't.
    Now I have to contend with the FMS problem and add it to the list of factors to consider.
    I am sure many of you with FMS have had to undergo a surgical procedure...Did it have any effect on your FMS? ie.
    were your FMS symptoms any different after surgery?
    My concern is that if the FMS was caused by an autoimmune response to trauma such as surgery, could having surgery make my symptoms worse, or am I being overly paranoid about this in your wise opinions?
    Luv ya all
    Thanks