FMS and Tendinitis--any connection?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yjswan, Oct 16, 2007.

1. yjswan

yjswan New Member

Does anyone know if there is any relationship between FMS and tendinitis? I recently developed trigger finger in my my thumb. Doctor gave me a cortisone shot and pain was gone in a couple of weeks. It's now a month later and I have developed the same in my elbow and index finger on my other hand. Two of my friends with FMS have the same problems. Wondering if this is just another one of the problems we develop with this diagnosis.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2007]
  2. sueliza

sueliza New Member

I am interested to see if this is common in people with FM.

I developed tendonitis in one wrist less than a year before I developed FM - I supposedly had a classic case where my thumb made a clicking noise. As soon as he put a brace on it it felt so much better!

Since then, I supposedly have tendonitis in both wrists and one elbow and bursitis in both shoulders and both hips.

I wonder if we really have these things or are fibro symptoms being misdiagnosed. Or are we predisposed to tendon strain.

I hope you find something helpful for your elbow and finger - not fun when you can't use an arm or hand! :)
  3. katday

katday New Member

I do have it in my elbow and my wrist, maybe there is a connection!
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've had problems w tendonitis and bursitis in my shoulders and hips even years before I was diagnosed w FM.
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

several months before my FM symptoms became severe. I woke up in the middle of the night with severe pain in my right hand up to my elbow. I was actually crying from the pain. I was given a splint (called a right cock) by the osteo and I would put it on whenever the pain started to flare up and it really did help. But I wonder if this was the beginning of Fibro. Only speculation, God only knows when it actually started. I'm exhausted just from trying to figure these things out...
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2007]
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have CFS and Fibro. I have CHRONIC Tendonitis in my shoulders, and have had several Acute Tendonitis in both shoulders, also in wrists and elbow. I have bursitis in both hips. Have had cortisone injections I think 3 times in shoulders, and once or twice in each hip.
  7. skikat

skikat New Member

I HAVE SEVERE SYMPTOMS WITH BOTHAND MANY MANYMORNINGS I WAKE WITH EXTREME PAIN FROM THE TENDONS TIGHTENING DURING SLEEP. CANT EVEN GET MY FEET ON THE FLOOR UNTIL I TIP UP AND DOWN ON MY HEELS SEVERAL TIMES WITH STRETCHING THE TENDONS OUT FIRST. IT DOESNT MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY, JUST HELPS ME TO BE ABLE TO WALK. ALSO HAVE IT CHRONIC IN RT. ARM, SHOULDER, HAND, AND NOW MY RIBS ARE REALLY SORE A LOT ON THAT SIDE AND FEELS LIKE IT GOES INTO MY BREAST, ALTHOUGH THERE ARE NO TENDONS THERE, I THINK IT IS JUST PAIN TRANSFER BECAUSE IT HURTS SO BAD I CAN HARDLY STAND IT. BUT I HAVE MYOSITIS ALSO SO THE RIB THING COULD BE FROM THAT AS IT IS INFLAMATION OF THE MUSCLES.

I HAVE ABOUT 4 THINGS THAT MIMIC THE FMS THAT I DONT REALLY KNOW WHICH ONE IS ACTING UP THE WORST AT THE TIME.
    AS FOR THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION, I DONT KNOW , OF COURSE, BUT I REALLY THINK DEPENDING ON THE MAKEUP OF THE INDIVIDUAL, THAT IT DOES GO TOGETHER. HUGS -SKI-
  8. harboreen

harboreen Member

"CANT EVEN GET MY FEET ON THE FLOOR UNTIL I TIP UP AND DOWN ON MY HEELS SEVERAL TIMES WITH STRETCHING THE TENDONS OUT FIRST. IT DOESNT MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY, JUST HELPS ME TO BE ABLE TO WALK"

Oh I SO get this!! Ditto!
  9. shal0317

shal0317 New Member

I thought I had tendonitis - but the Rhuematolgist says it is just the fibro - there is no swelling just tenderness, I have it in both wrists and my right shoulder really bad - also have low back pain and hip pain and both of my feet
  10. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Hi,

for years I kept getting severe pain on my wrists, then my elbows and shoulders. Before I was diagnosed with Fibro, they told me I had carpal tunnel and tendinitis which the doctors referred to as tennis elbow. At first I thought it was from my work having been in an office typing since I was 15. The pain would be so severe that I could not even lift anything with my arms. I went to therapy for both the carpal and tendinitis. Finally the doctors took more extensive test. I think one was called an induction test for the carpal (not sure of the spelling). I only had a mild case. So now the doctors keep telling me that it is part of the fibro. I am in constant pain from my finger tips to just above my elbows, but nothing can be done except take pain killers. One thing though my middle finger on my right hand feels like it is broken and when the therapist touch it I flew out of the chair. She mentioned that it looked alot like I had gout. Strange.

What do you think?

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2007]
  11. soozan48

soozan48 New Member

i have had tendonitis and I have FMS ... I have also had bursitis and I have FMS ... I have tennis elbow and I have FMS ... I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I have FMS

gee ... I think there is a pattern here
  12. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

never really thought about it but I have tendonitis in both shoulders and my wrist...been in pain with that for about 6 years then DX with cfs and fm this year
  13. scott66

scott66 New Member

All tendons in our bodies are suspect, with fibro present. Any repetive movement will flare it. I get injections in my hips, ankles and shoulder. They do help the shots are a last resort.
  14. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Since The doctors thought I had the carpal tunnel and tendinitis before the fibro, I started using braces for my wrists and arm bands for the tendinitis. The braces do help eleviate the stress on the wrist and the arm brace has worked great for the elbow pain. I use them often when the pain gets to be too much.
  15. yjswan

yjswan New Member

First, thanks to all who responded to my question. After reading all the responses, it seems what some doctors call tendinitis, others call FMS. Maybe it's both. Maybe the FMS somehow causes the tendons to become inflamed. It's also interesting how many of us have it in our arms, shoulders and hands. Since writing my first entry, the tendinitis has traveled to both shoulders and my wrists. I must also stretch my feet out before I get out of bed or I'll fall down...just didn't connect the two.

I've been using a combination of a cold pack, stretching out the tendon, and an essential oil called PAN AWAY made by Young Living. It's helping, as the pain is not so intense. I think my aquatic exercise helps too...being in warm water for an hour at a time.

16. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

My FMS was much worse before my Free T3 (active form of thyroid hormone) came up with T3 meds. The tendinitis, especially, is rotten when my body's free T3 level is low.

For me, there is a definite connection between thyroid function, FMS, and tendinitis.

Finding a doc who will do the necessary testing, and one who is comfortable RXing a T3 med, if warranted, may take a lot of networking. The majority of MDs are locked in a groupthink warp regarding the role of thyroid hormone in muscle & tendon pain. They will tell you that if your TSH screen is OK, there's no way thyroid can be at the root of your pain.

The general thyroid screening test done by 95% of PHPs won't tell you about the status of the active form of your body's thyroid hormone.

I had "normal" TSH readings & "normal" free T4 (inactive form of thyroid hormone) readings for years while suffering incredible soft tissue pain. At times I was unable to walk, unable to use my arms because of the tendonitis.

So, if you haven't had the Free T3 test, please consider looking into it.

17. fisher1949

fisher1949 New Member

i HAVE HAD CARPAL TUNNEL SURGERY ON BOTH WRISTS 18 YRS AGO, HAVE HAD MY LEFT ELBOW OPERATED ON TWICE FOR TENDONITIS AND STILL IS NOT RIGHT. HAVE TENDONITIS IN RIGHT ELBOW ALSO MEDIUM AND LATERAL, HAVE GOTTEN CARPAL TENNEL BACK IN MY LEFT HAND AND HAVE OSTEOPENIA IN MY RIGHT HIP AND HAVE HAD TENDONITIS IN BOTH SHOULDERS.

EXCUSE ANY SPELLING ERRORS-NOT AS ACCURATE AS I USED TO BE.

THERE DOES SEEM TO BE A PATTERN OF EITHER GETTING TENDONITIS BEFORE OR AFTER DX OF FM.
  18. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

For any of you suffering from tendonitis in many parts of your body, you might want to check your medical records to determine if you took levaquin, cipro, avelox, tequin, floxin or another fluoroquinolone just prior to the onset of your tendonitis. These drugs are notorious for causing long term tendonitis and even severe tendon ruptures.

19. scott66

scott66 New Member

With fibro present, Any part of the body we use repetitive we are more inclined to get.tendon prob. I had a job where i was always getting tendon problems, elbow, ankel ,shoulder, etc.Stretching is the key to prevent or limit this.No more guitar playin either, wich really was a hit for me.I think high doses of vit.c always help.
  20. horsegal

horsegal New Member

I have lots of tendon trouble in my shoulders. One shoulder has been injured, the other hasn't and it is now giving me fits. I'm going to look into the T3 thyroid thing. I'm not looking forward to surgery on my "good" shoulder!