FMS and Tooth Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Nov 13, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know fibromyalgia is often associated with TMJ dysfunction, both of which I have, and I know this can and does cause jaw pain and pain in the area of the teeth. But right now I'm very confused about whether pain I've had *in* my teeth could be related to fibromyalgia in some way.

As I posted a few days ago, I had a horrible week end--some of the worst pain I've ever had. This started with jaw pain on Friday morning. I had my shot of Avonex (for my multiple sclerosis) on Friday afternoon. Flu-like symptoms and muscle aches are common side effects of the Avonex shot, though I had no real problem with my previous shot. (This was only my second shot.)

Anyway, the pain got worse and worse, and sometime around Saturday afternoon, I started feeling pain in my lower right molars. Not just in the jaw area, but in the teeth. If I touched these teeth with a finger or barely brought my upper and lower teeth together, I jumped. I got an emergency appt with my dentist Monday afternoon. By that time, the pain seemed to have localized mainly to one tooth. The dentist put me on a brief course of amoxycillin (which has helped with a much vaguer pain in this area before), but he also said that I might need a root canal job.

The bizarre thing is that even before I took my first dose of amoxycillin, the tooth pain started to ease. The teeth are still sensitive, but at least I can bring my teeth together without screaming! And it seems to be getting better.

I'm not sure a tooth requiring a root canal job would respond this way, and since nothing has ever shown up on an x-ray to indicate decay or any other need for a root canal, I have to wonder whether something else might be going on.

Could the fibromyalgia--or chronic myofascial pain trigger points--be causing the pain in my teeth? I sure don't want to have a root canal job on a back molar if I don't have to! Because of the TMJ problems, I can't open my mouth very wide, and I have trouble keeping it open for prolonged periods. Trying to do so gives me a killer headache.

Anyway, I really would appreciate any ideas anybody might have about this. For one thing, I'm due for my next Avonex shot tomorrow. If there is some interaction going on here that triggered the tooth pain or relates in some way to fibromyalgia, I want to figure out how to deal with it if at all possible. And I *certainly* don't want any unnecessary root canal work!

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I know fibromyalgia is often associated with TMJ dysfunction, both of which I have, and I know this can and does cause jaw pain and pain in the area of the teeth. But right now I'm very confused about whether pain I've had *in* my teeth could be related to fibromyalgia in some way.

As I posted a few days ago, I had a horrible week end--some of the worst pain I've ever had. This started with jaw pain on Friday morning. I had my shot of Avonex (for my multiple sclerosis) on Friday afternoon. Flu-like symptoms and muscle aches are common side effects of the Avonex shot, though I had no real problem with my previous shot. (This was only my second shot.)

Anyway, the pain got worse and worse, and sometime around Saturday afternoon, I started feeling pain in my lower right molars. Not just in the jaw area, but in the teeth. If I touched these teeth with a finger or barely brought my upper and lower teeth together, I jumped. I got an emergency appt with my dentist Monday afternoon. By that time, the pain seemed to have localized mainly to one tooth. The dentist put me on a brief course of amoxycillin (which has helped with a much vaguer pain in this area before), but he also said that I might need a root canal job.

The bizarre thing is that even before I took my first dose of amoxycillin, the tooth pain started to ease. The teeth are still sensitive, but at least I can bring my teeth together without screaming! And it seems to be getting better.

I'm not sure a tooth requiring a root canal job would respond this way, and since nothing has ever shown up on an x-ray to indicate decay or any other need for a root canal, I have to wonder whether something else might be going on.

Could the fibromyalgia--or chronic myofascial pain trigger points--be causing the pain in my teeth? I sure don't want to have a root canal job on a back molar if I don't have to! Because of the TMJ problems, I can't open my mouth very wide, and I have trouble keeping it open for prolonged periods. Trying to do so gives me a killer headache.

Anyway, I really would appreciate any ideas anybody might have about this. For one thing, I'm due for my next Avonex shot tomorrow. If there is some interaction going on here that triggered the tooth pain or relates in some way to fibromyalgia, I want to figure out how to deal with it if at all possible. And I *certainly* don't want any unnecessary root canal work!

Thanks.

--Laura R.M.
  3. lucky

lucky New Member

Reading your message and having a toothache on just every tooth on the right upper side all week long, I am sure it is related to the fibro. I have had these toothaches before and they usually do not last that long. But they are nasty like all the other aches and pains we have to endure.
    I also was so concerned today when the toothache flared up again, but have the feeling that our damp weather at the moment might have a little to do with it as well. I am sure that you are not needing root canal work or anything, because I just had my teeth checked and x-rayed and everything looks fine, so it must be the fibro. Take care, Lucky