FMS & assembly line / production

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PixieGrl, Jan 31, 2003.

1. PixieGrl

PixieGrl New Member

Hi there, I am new to this forum, but am a fellow FMS person. I was diagnosed last July, after a few years of trying to find out "what's wrong with me." Anyway ... my question today has to do with work (I have been unemployed for a year and 1/2 now.) The job market it so rotten and the bills are piling up faster then I can open them.

I was offered a position doing assembly line / production. When I did the trial hour I thought it was fun, but I also noticed being stiff in the shoulders and sore in my hands ... after 1 hour??? So it got me wondering weather that would work for me or not. Anyone have experience, thoughts or ideas on this?
    Thanks. pixie~
  2. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

Assembly line work is Not for FMS suffers!! I am speaking from personal experience. Any type of sedentary, repetious
    work can be very hard on all your muscles. Also, most assembly line jobs are very stressful. Run, don't walk the other way!! I did try to go through vocational rehab; but I wasn't disabled enough. Granmakitty
  3. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

Hi Pixiegirl,
    I worked at a factory job for 20 years, the last 8 of them were a bad experience because I was dealing with FMS then. I finally had to quit. After that I did some housecleaning and worked for a company that cleaned a medical facility. I loved the work; but had to quit due to the stress and strenuous regime of it. I also worked as a homemaker helping disabled people in their homes with daily chores. This is something that might work for you. What about being a teacher's aide in a grade school? Best of luck to you. Never give up hope. Granmakitty
  4. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

Hi Pixie! I worked at a factory that made medical supplies when I was younger and didn't have any health problems and it was a hard job at that time. I can't imagine doing that type of work now that I have fibro!! The job was at least 8 hours of constant repetition and staying in one place(except for lunch or breaks) which can cause some achy problems. I remember fingers that were so sore that I couldn't open the door to my car!! Made good money but I sometimes wonder if that job didn't help contribute to my health problems today. I guess it's worth a try if you think you can handle it--the job market is so tough right now. I haven't been able to hold a job for a couple of years now and I do miss the interaction with people on a job. Hope you find a job that helps pay the bills and is satisfying also for you. Take care and laugh when ya can!! lynnkat
  5. PixieGrl

PixieGrl New Member

Granmakitty12 & Nink
    Thanks for your comments and ideas. I sort of figured out after that 1 hour that it might not be such a great idea. I am still trying to figure a lot out about this whole thing. like I just got back from the store and am very sore in my shoulder now (seems to happen every time I go shopping these days). Anyway thanks again for your input ... think I'll hang out and read here for a while.
    Thanks again!!
    ~pixie
  6. PixieGrl

PixieGrl New Member

Hi Lynnkat ... guess we were typing at the same time ... I'd like to thank you for your input as well. If this job paid really well, I might just try it for a few months, but it does not pay that well ... and I really don't want to contribute to or make things worse! I left my last job being "sick" everyday and feeling like I was knocking on deaths door ... though I am now "diagnosed," I am WAY better then I was in that stressful situation. I think that job contributed a LOT to my FMS, if I had to say what triggered it it would be #1.
    Thanks again!!
    ~pixie