FMS Causes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Applyn59, May 31, 2003.

1. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi All,

I always blame my FMS on my back surgery, but am beginning to wonder. After the
    surgery (which was unsuccessful), I took walks every day. Taking a 10 minute
    would KILL me. I always told my mother that I felt like I dug ditches all day. I always blamed my fatigue
    on my back pain. That was in 91. I was diagnosed with FMS in 94.

I never really tried to analyze my FMS, but reading this board and others started me
    thinking about a few things that I have put in the past.

When I was in 5th grade I was very sick and missed two months of school. (LOL - I wrote work and had to fix it). I remember my teacher (later) telling me she thought I looked like I had leukemia. I just remember being sick as a dog and going from dr. to dr. I just asked my mother if I was diagnosed with
    an infection or anything. She says I was on antibiotics but she thinks it was for a urine infection.

Also, when I was 19 (1981) I was a phlebotomist in the local hospital for an internship and summer job. One day when I had to draw blood from a surgery patient, the operating nurse gave me the needle back without a cover and she stuck me. The patient either had or was being tested for Hepatitis. I know I went to
    the ER and was given immuno globulin or something like that.

Also, prior to my back injury, in around 1987, I went on vacation to Mexico and came back so very very sick. None of my friends got sick and we all pretty much did the same thing. I was very careful and didn't eat any fruit or veggies or their water, etc. THat was the sickest I have ever been.

I am wondering if any of this could be a factor at all in this DD? Like I said, I never thought about it before
    and none of my drs are aware of this. Not that I think they would think anything of it. Just wondering if you
    think anything sounds plausible and if maybe it would help me get a dr. to test me for mycoplasmas? I have
    never really forced the issue with my dr.- but then again, I don't even know if he is aware of this angle. It would be so nice to find a dr. who actually did as much research as I do!

Thanks for listening.
    Would like thoughts.
    Lynn

PS I guess I always put more focus into getting rid of the FMS then how I got it.
  2. Mumu

Mumu New Member

Your history sounds similar to mine in that there have been multiple times in our lives when we were on antibiotics, and we've both been south of the border and picked up a "bug" of some kind. Flagyl helps if you got giardiasis from the food or water. You can even get giardiasis here if you happen to swim in creek water and accidentally swallow some, which I did a lot as a child, and it can live in your intestines for life. As for the antibiotics, they can cause you to develop chronic candidiasis, not just as a vaginal yeast infection, but all through the body, which can cause fatigue, aches, itchy ears and nose, chronic diarrhea, blurred vision, and a whole lot of other symptoms that are also on the FMS list, so taking something for yeast, like Diflucan, might help you. It helps to take one pill every week or so for a couple of months, if you can get a doctor to prescribe that many pills. Usually they just give you one dose. You can also over-the-counter acidophilus and caprylic acid (from health food stores). They help, but the Diflucan is faster and more effective.
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    I did take some medication when I returned from
    Mexico that my dr prescribed for me before I left.
    I had asked for them in advance in case I got
    sick in Mexico.

I have always wondered about candida and did the
    home test with the saliva in the glass of water. It seems as though I may have that as well. I already do take
    acidophilus and have for years.

Thanks,
    Lynn
  4. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

bump
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2003]

[ advertisement ]