FMS - does anyone get swelling

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzanne, Jun 21, 2003.

1. suzanne

suzanne New Member

I was just wondering if anyone with FMS gets swelling in the ankles and legs.
    I don't know if this is part of having FMS, or maybe another problem
    I get it soo bad that all my socks have no elastic at the top are so stretched out and don't look like my anymore....lol
    Just wondering if I was alone regarding with edema

Susan
  2. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I think there are many of us that have problems with swelling. I get a real generalized edema and especially have swelling in my ankles & feet. I am trying to drink more water and stay hydrated and this really seems to help. Also need to monitor thyroid, B/P, etc. Good Luck!
    Darla
  3. Dolphin82

Dolphin82 New Member

Hi Suzzanne it is Irene here i have a lot of swelling in my feet,after walking on them all day aswell as coonstant pain in my right foot so i no what u are talking about, i have to go to phisio for my feet on wed? So will see what they say about them ugh id better not hope for too much had iam already in agony.
    If u would like to chat u can msn me irenematthews82@hotmail.com or e-mail me on same addy ok.

bye for now
    Irene.

4. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

When I had a TMJ disorder I had a generalized edema. It wasn't just the legs and ankles although this is what is most uncomfortable, but my hands were so swollen I couldn't wear rings.

It didn't look like it to others, but my face was swollen and after I received my first splint I got up one morning about two weeks later and looked in the mirror and didn't recognize myself --the swelling was gone.
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

I get swollen in my forearms right below the elbow.

I also get swollen feet after walking a long time, which
    I hardly ever do!

Lynn
  6. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Got your message it's nice know I am not the only one. The swelling hurts alot, some times where i wear shoes lately it feels like lots of pressure on my veins and it hurts alot. I just believe all the differnt sysmptoms one can get with Fibro. I am still learning about the DD. It's only been a few weeks since I was told. Have been suffering so many years. I will be emailing to you soon

Have a GREAT day

Susan
  7. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Hi Darla

I agree with you drinking lot of water is a big help. I find anyways. I the can get pretty bad at time. Do you find it hard some days to wear your shoes??? lol. I do.
    How long have you had FMS? I just found out a few weeks ago and trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you for your help and answers.

Susan
  8. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Hi Barbara

I was a care aide at the main hospital here and I had patients who's legs would swell as you are describing with the weeping from the inside to outside. If I am understadning you right is it fluids seeping out??? Do you wrap the legs? Its like its coming out of your pores, is there what you are having? Is there an odor?

The best thing to help it is I use to put the person in the bath and soak their legs for about 1/2 hour a day, twice a day. don't rub the legs just pat them dry.

Let me know a bit more about it, I am no doctor but maybe give you some helpfull ideas to releave the seeping a bit.

Hope your feeling better today

Susan
  9. arts4you

arts4you New Member

My feet and ankles have been swollen for 16 years. Yes, FMS can cause swelling of the extremities. My doctor says that when the muscles become so tense and tight from the fibro, it has a tendancy to cut off circulation and we don't eliminate fluids like we should. I know we have all been told this before, but exercise is very good to keep from swelling too bad. However, you must be very careful and not do too much because you can make it worse. It is really kind of a catch 22 situation. Drink lots of water, and gently move the muscles.
  10. FMexhausted

FMexhausted New Member

The only time my swelling goes down is if I can lie in my bed, couch, with my feet propped up. I am really bad for not being able to balance what I'm able to do against what will be the "last straw that keeps me down for the next two days".
    I drink a ton of water, mostly to flush as many toxins as possible out. Still, have swelling. Everyone seems to say just about the same thing. Does anyone live anywhere near Warsaw, Indiana, and do you know of any doctors who are really up on these DD?

Thanks to all,

All swelled up and no place to go..
  11. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

went to doc 2 weeks ago w/the ankle swelling thing. i asked him if it could be the methadone. he said not likely. said to cut out the salt. kinda did....ok...so also had a methadone overload, and now cut back...swellings gone..coincidence? probably. just to let you know it worried me. but drank alot of water. feet were swollen as well as my hands. better now.
    sign me perplexed.
    alice
  12. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I get some edema as side effect of Neurontin but even before taking it I would have swelling in hands, feet and legs that would come and go. Haven't figured out what helps it, already drink a lot of water and do mild exercises. I know it's worse when I have any salty foods so I stay away from excessive salt but still it can come back for unknown reasons.

You sure aren't alone!

Shaky