FMS & Hysterectomy ,do you feel better or worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lot57, Aug 3, 2003.

1. lot57

lot57 New Member

I had to have a total Hyst in June due to Endo and a large Dermoid Cyst on my ovary ( I only had 1/4 of one left because of previous surgery back in 1976)
    The recovery was difficult, and i did expect it to be.
    I now notice that i feel SOOO much better.
    Still have the RLS and some anxiety but , the pain seems to have gone from what I had rated as a 6 - 10 to mostly a 2-4.
    The brain fog has mainly dissapeared.The horrible fatigue is slowly getting better as well.
    I hadnt worked since last Dec. due to the FMS and the female related problems. Now i feel that I can try again, i'm starting part time at a nursing home (I'm an aide) and hopefully will be working my way up to 4 days a week.
    So far i have only had to use a little Estaril cream for dryness, been using natural therapy for any menopause symptoms (which there have been few of).
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this continues, has anyone else had luck with this? and if so did it last ?
    Marie
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I had a hysterectomy last November. I can't say the FMS is better or worse because of it. As far as "female" pains go, I feel much better. I don't have cramps or heaviness anymore. But it hasn't affected the fibromyalgia one way or the other. I hope your painless days continue - it's wonderful!

annette2
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

FM better. But, I am so glad I got the hysterectomy, no more painful periods and retaining fluids. I tell people it's the best thing I ever had done. I'm happy to hear you are feeling so much better after the surgery. I think the pain and cramping just finally takes a toll on you after so many years. I also had the excessive heavy bleeding towards the end and it was just wearing me out.

Dara
  4. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Marie,
    I had a hyster in 1998 and it was the best thing I ever did. I had severe pain each month and bled very heavily. It turned out that I had hundreds of fibrods (sp)n and should have had it many years before I did. I don't miss that kind of pain but it hasn't made a difference in the fibro. I got a new Dr. when my old man gyno retired. I should have done it sooner when he wouldn't listen to me that something was wrong. I suggested testing hormone levels and he said I was to young to forget about it. I was 46 at the time. Hard to believe to this day that I kept going to that man. Oh well, my new Dr. is a peach and a women and really listened to me. Nothing against men Docs but in this case it was great to have a woman Doctor.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  5. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I was young when they removed my uterus, 27, afterwards, I felt the best I ever had. I actually went a little wild afterward's, but that's another story,.

Then I have the Ovaries removed 7 years later, and it has been slowly downhill from there.
    I would go through times of feeling great to times of being really sick, but not having any answer's to Why.

If your feeling good, Enjoy it, just be sure not to Overdo, that's the trouble when you do feel good. Take it easy, and pace yourself. I hope you continue to be Pain free (?) as long as possible.
    Sincerely,
    sharon
  6. MaryAnn43

MaryAnn43 New Member

Hi. I have had FM for many years - 25 plus actually. I always had horrible problems with my period and hormones. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 4 years ago and it was the best thing medically that has happened to me since I was 19 years old and I am now 44. The recovery was easy - I had a vaginal hysterectomy....3 weeks recovery and my FM is way better now. I actually even just got a small part-time job 10 hours a week and I have not worked in 9 years. The FM flared so badly every single month and it DEFINITELY coorelated with my periods. The minute I would ovulate, the FM would flare up for 2 - 2 1/2 weeks until my period came - the pain was outrageous - the fatigue and heart palps were awful and forget the mood swings. This went on for years and years. I begged my gyno for a hysterectomy for years - I researched it and knew it would help me because of how sick I got every month. Finally I told him either he do it or I would find another doctor. He agreed - after about 6 months I went back to him and told him how much better I felt and he apologized for not listening to me. Doctors need to learn to listen to their patients. We know our bodies better than anyone. Good luck in whatever you choose to do. MaryAnn