FMS is in August Consumer Reports!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by puglover29, Aug 14, 2005.

1. puglover29

puglover29 New Member

Yup, they are talking about alternative and hands on therapies (deep tissue massage, chiro, accupuncter etc) and there are 4 pain ailments they discuss: back pain, neck pain, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia.

In the article they refer to fibro as "a painful musculosketal syndrome that convential medicine often remains at a loss to treat".

They do say deep tissue massage was helpful in their studies.

I was just glad to see another validation that fibro is real!

Brenda
    Atlanta, GA
  2. hehmommy

hehmommy New Member

I am glad to see them acknowledging it too. I knwo I get some relief from massage and would love to get one everyday if I could, but it is so expensive. I think they should cover those as a part of the treatment of FM. I have yet to try accupuncture, but I have heard of people feeling so much better after doing those.

Trish :)
  3. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I have tried deep tissue massage. The whole time I was thinking AUGGGH, get the knots out too! He pressed on areas but ignored the massive knots in my muscles.
    I really think I need a truck driver to stomp on me. It has gotten so bad I have taken a ball peen hammer to the knots in my muscles. My DH will dig his elbows and heels into these spots because his hands give out on him.
    I am Davinci's hard granite slab, chisel anyone??
    A
  4. sheried

sheried New Member

Isn't it great that the word is finally getting out? It's not all in our heads. Phooey on all those nasty docs that didn't/don't believe us.

Can't do the deep tissue massage--leaves me hurting worse than before.

Sherie
  5. mhammie

mhammie New Member

The "painful musculosketal syndrome is the way my last rheumy explained it to me.

As for her suggested treatments, been there, done those. Only wish it would have helped.

If I go for deep tissue massage they will have to literally knock me out. I have tried many, many times, and I just can't stand the level of pain, before & after a treatment. The tears just roll down my face.

I have seen a chiro most of my life since the age of 12. I don't know if it's the 60lb. weight loss or what, but I can't stand to have chiro treatments anymore. It doesn't even make a difference if I go to different chiros that use different methods of realigning things. I know I tolerated chiro treatments better when I was fat. I can honestly say I don't feel any better having lost the extra weight. I wish I did.

Mhammie
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

it's nice to hear there is someone confirming the pain we endure way too much.

i've tried acupuncture, but haven't really been able to tell if it is helping for all the stress i've been going through.

massages well have to apy for that and i can't afford it.
    now that my son goes in for surgery for his finger i can't have him do it and i'm divorced now/ and yes my ex-husband has helped out with massages but that always leads to other things. then that causes a nother problem, since last year he said why don't you think i wouldn't sign the divorce papers i never wanted one. so anyways i don't know what we are going to do. on or off again. plus he lives 85 miles away.
  7. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

For those of you who either can't afford a lot of massage or it isn't hitting the right spots, I suggest a backknobber. It's an S-shaped metal device with knobs on each end for exerting pressure in specific areas. It works with leverage and takes little effort on your part. It is great for working on knots because you can do it yourself and control the pressure. I also did myofacial trigger point release an it completely eliminated a lot of knots. It also helped me to correct my posture, which was really stooped and round-shouldered. Can't say enough about both of these.
    The backknobber can be found on line. I also use Biofreeze as a topical application and the freezing heat it exudes is great.
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

about the condition. I do wish they would all get together on "what" it really is. One will say muscular and another will say neurological. Accupucunture was no help to me though Chiro was back when it was still not severe. Massage is great while it's happening but I don't know why it sometimes feels better afterward and sometimes worse?

With everyone having different reactions to everything it does make you wonder if it's all the same condition or a variety of things, all just similar.
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

The more people will accept that it is real.

I do wonder as well..about what we all have! I think we are still lumped together and probably don't all have the same thing. I seem to have pain, fatigue, and that is about all I have to deal with. It is enough to be sure, but when I read about this illness, there are so many more folks having so many more symptoms, that is makes me wonder if we truly have the same thing!