FMS Symptoms Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monalisa3, Apr 13, 2007.

1. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Hi everyone, am new here. What a great forum this is. The info is quite overwhelming. I have been diagnosed with fibro after 2 years of doctors and testing. Been doing heaps of research for about a yr and a half. I only have pain in neck and upper back region with tons of muscle knots (trigger points). My neck, upper back and shoulder blade muscles hurt every day, some days it's hell. I get violent muscle spasms in neck region which last for days and weeks. I also suffer from anxiety and chest pains on the left upper side (just under collar bone) and some left hand numbness. I have frequent migraines, TMJ problems, sinus infections and candida. I also get very fatigued on and off. I DO NOT really have pain below the waist, my legs and hips feel normal and pain free most of the time (except for very tight hamstrings).

I am trying to figure out if everyone with FM on here suffers from pain all over body as mine is confined to upper body region. I am questioning diagnoses of Fibro as i know that Fibromyalgia means all over body pain. Please help me clarify this as I am suffering so badly from pain and violent muscle spasms and desperately need to figure this out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  2. jole

jole Member

Since you are fairly new to FM, it is perhaps possible that yours is just in the upper half of your body and hasn't fully hit yet, but it is suppose to be bilateral and covering the entire body. It can be worse at any given time in any given area, but the symptoms should...in the definition of FM....cover the entire body at times.

Yours does sound more like myofacial pain to me at this point...but I have certainly been wrong before! LOL:)You do seem to have other symptoms of FM though.

I wish you better days ahead, and hope you can accept whatever the outcome is. the acceptance was quite hard for me, even though I have had FM since being a child.

Friends - Jole
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

Yes, the info here can be overwhelming. There is always someone here to listen and try to help you.

My FM travels all over my body, this morning it is my neck and shoulders on both sides but mine is usually more painful on the right side of my body. Somedays it is all over kind-of like the flu and other days, it will be in one or two spots.

I think we all have soo many different symptoms that we are all different. I get spasms too and sometimes it is such stupid stuff like not being able to stand the sheet to touch my toes or the mattress to touch my heel.

I think the most important thing to know about this disease is it affects people in different ways.

{Soft Hugs}

Suzette
    [This Message was Edited on 04/14/2007]
  4. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Monalisa3
    From the little I know, it sounds like myofascial pain which is slightly different from FM. You talked about muscle knots and trigger points which does point to MP.

With FM its tenderpoints and there are approx 18 of them over the body but not everyone has the full compliment at any given time, but some do.

FM is random pain that goes to any area and stays from seconds to weeks/months.

Sorry I'm not explaining it well.

If you have MP rather than FM I have heard that there is a massage that can be done on the trigger points which helps. Do a search for this.

Good luck with finding a relief to your pain no matter the label.
  5. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. Yes, i have had 2 cervical MRI's. No pinched nerve and a healthy cervical spine. Had brain MRI, no MS. Had brachial plexus MRI, no brachial plexus inflammation. Have had nerve conduction studies done, all clear, neuro was scratching his head. My neuro and reumatologist did blood work and found very high ANA, pointing towards lupus but reumatologist is reluctant to diagnose lupus and he insists its fibromyalgia.

I have done a lot of research into myofascial pain and trigger points and I'm tending to think that might be my problem. I have found a great holistic dentist (only a handful in Sydney, Australia) and he is going to remove my amalgams. Dentist also said that he believes most of my probs might be coming from TMJ issues. He said that because I severly clench and grind my teeth at night, myofascial pain and trigger points have developed. He is currently making me a biteplate and believes it will initailly improve my pain by 50%. He also said perhaps then trigger point therapy or any other kind of bodywork might have a more beneficial effect on me once the muscle tension from clenching is relieved. (BTW, I was impressed with this guy as he said he met Janet Travell, pioneer in trigger point research, at a conference in the 1980's when he went to USA). I'm too scared to be hopeful as NO treatment I undertake works for me, usually everything backfires.

I have tried trigger point injections and trigger point/myofascial massage. But nothing is getting rid of my trigger points. I am sooooooooo lost and confused and feel like I'm going round in circles all the time. Just so exhausted from trying to figure this out. Have been in a really low place for a long time and just hurt all the time.

Just don't know if I've got fibromyalgia or if it's only myofascial pain syndrome or both or if candida has a lot to do with my problems. Any further input would be awesome.... Don't know where to start with my healing and am going round in circles...
  6. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

P.S. I sleep well and don't really have any sleep issues, just that I grind and clench my teeth a lot. Once I fall asleep I usually sleep right through the night and very soundly. Maybe I'm not getting enough deep sleep???? Don't know. I realise that FM goes hand in hand with sleep issues. Hmmmmmm!!!!!

My pain is NOT really random. My pain is in predictable spots, patterns and muscle groups (all in upper body)

Always feel fatigued and so much upper body pain.

Maybe I am just in denial of FM, don't really know what's wrong with me and why I'm suffering and thus don't know where to start.....
    [This Message was Edited on 04/14/2007]
  7. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

All I can suggest is that you post questions & people with similar symptoms may be able to help. With this help you can then do further research into what may help you.

Sorry if this doesn't give you want you want but like everyone here, we are all slightly different in our illnesses but grouped under the same syndromes.

What works for one may not work for another so it's a case of trying something that sounds as if it may help and then if it doesn't strike it off the list of things to try.

My personal list is very long and I'm slowly going through them as it's best to try one thing (or one protocol) at a time to gauge benefits.

I have found a few things that definitely help me but have discarded many on the long journey!

Keep researching - this board is definitely the best support I have come across!
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Myofascial pain is easier to treat than fibromyalgia (FMS) pain. A person with fibromyalia TENDS to have myofascial (MFP) pain also.

Does MFP progress to FMS?, I think if properly treated, no it would not. Having said that this might also depend on the underlying etiology. We don't know what causes fibromyalgia. I would put your efforts into getting help as you could research that question for a long time.

Devin Starlanyl does a good job explaining the difference. Her book is wonderful "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain" She also has a website, google her name and read up on the differences as she presents them. I consider her books the Bible of these problems.

There is self help book for myofascial trigger points, and I cannot find it, I have been looking in my bookcase. Someone else might come along with the author's name, I do remember he used to be a piano tuner!!! :)

A physical therapist or a great massage therapist trained in myofascial release (MFR) and trigger point therapy would be helpful. (MFR is NOT taught in PT education, the therapists take courses on their own).

It might take a number of tries to find the right therapist for you. Please see my post regarding myofascial release. You can search by my name and click username (not title) in the box to the right.

Myofascial pain tends to be in a more specific location, while fibromyalgia pain involves the entire body.

Releasing trigger points and restrictions in the chest can make breathing easier and greatly reduce pain.

Fondly, June

[This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Oh that is the name of the book, you mentioned it in another thread.

Clair Davies book- The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.

June
  10. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Thank you for your replies. Absolutely fantastic info!
    June I have that book you've mentioned. Its 'The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook' by Clair Davies. It's an excellent resource. I will also look up that website describing the difference between FM and MPS. It is very difficult finding a PT who is good at trigger point therapy in Sydney. I've already tried two who couldn't help me. I will keep looking and maybe even try acupunture for trigger point therapy. Maybe even some more trigger point injections from my GP.

Thanks loads everyone...
    Any more thoughts or insight would be great...
  11. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

sounds to me like you have FMS my pain is all over my body but i have Ostearthritis aswell but its a different pain than my FMS.
    Welcome to a great site ive been using this site for 11 years now and its my lifeline im sure it will be yours to.
    Take care.
    May god bless you and yours.
    Fibrolady37
  12. Engel

Engel New Member

Welcome Monalisa :)

My "worst pain" is in my neck but I have it all over.

Fibromyalgia or Myofascial Pain Syndrome or both?
    Differential features of Fibromyalgia & Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Feature FMS vs MPS
    Pain (FMS=Diffuse) (MPS=local)
    Fatigue (FMS=Common) (MPS=Uncommon)
    AM Stiffness (FMS=Common) (MPS=Uncommon)
    Tender Points (with FMS)
    Trigger Points (with MPS)
    Prognosis (FMS=Chronic) (MPS=Resolves w/treatment)

Can people suffer from both??? None of my pain ever "resolves".
  13. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

Thankyou to everyone and for your input. I think it would be safe and wise at this stage to come to an acceptance that i may be suffering from both MPS and FM. Now the journey to treat both and find some kinda relief continues.......Lovely!