FMS with ??normal arthritis??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Apr 6, 2006.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I love that term....normal arthritis. I turned 50 in February. I have FMS and hypothyroidism. Along with all the other fun stuff, I'd been having problems with my joints; feet, knees, knuckles, elbows, neck.

My family Dr. thought it was RA, but having gone through 2 bone scans and blood work, my Rheumatologist says its FM with normal arthritis.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I wasn't expecting "normal athritis" in several joints at 50. Somehow in the last 10 years I've gone from running around the garden to shuffling like a stooped old bat!

I think I need an attitude adjustment!

Eileen
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Imagine my surprise to find out I had "suddenly" developed osteoarthritis in my feet and hands after dx with FM.

I am not convinced that the two conditions are completely separate. Plus, my age (37) makes it kind of weird too.

I didn't play any sports in high school and college, nor was I a professional dancer...that's why mine baffles me as well.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  3. Missabelle

Missabelle New Member

Hi Eileen!

My Rheumatologist told me the same thing. My Mom has severe RA and she figured that was my problem too. I went in and he ran all kinds of tests and my Doc told me the same thing:: Fibro with normal arthritis. Funny he used the same term.

I was upset only because I am only 35 and hurt in just about all my joints. There are times I just want to cry from the aching and throbbing but I tough it out. I have a high tolerance for pain but the pain of fibro/arthritis is just horrible. You are in my thoughts.
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

I also have FM and arthritis. My arthritis is caused by my Crohn's Disease. In addition to affecting the GI tract, Crohn's can sometimes affect the skin, eyes, and joints which unfortunately is the case with me.

I can actually tell the difference between the two kinds of pain.

My FM pain is all muscular. My shoulders, back and neck ache constantly. My legs feel like they weigh 200 pounds apiece. I also have the numbness and tingling sensations.

The arthritis is definitely different. It is in the fingers, wrists, knees, and ankles for sure. Those areas creak and crack when I move them, and there is a deep dull throbbing pain that no medication even touches.

Both these conditions cause me to have unrelenting fatigue.

I would be interested to hear, from those who have both conditions, did one precede the other, and can you tell which of your symptoms are FM and which are arthritis? I know I definitely can.

Michelle
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Must be whiny Friday for me. There some of you are in your 30's with this horrible thing and I'm complaining. Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me.

Libra55...good question re when did the FM/Arthritis start.

I had no problems with my joints at all. FM was diagnosed 2 years ago. My joint problems started about 6 months after that. I certainly can tell the difference in pain. Makes one wonder if FM speeds up the arthritis process?

Eileen