FOAM MATTRESS TOPPERS FYI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Aug 14, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I see many here have bought the memory foam mattress toppers. (Much cheaper than the full Tempurpedic mattress).

On overstock.com they have the 4 inch thick memory foam mattress toppers on sale (any size) for around $169.

2. tedybear

tedybear New Member

They are much cheaper at Wal-Mart. I think my king size was $80, but I'm not positive. You'll have to check.
  3. virgo_karen

virgo_karen New Member

I have a full size one. It costs around $55 or so. I have had mine for about 4 months now. I sure sleep better since I sleep on my sides. My should and hip is much better too when I'm sleeping. I sure love mine!

Karen
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My sister was just telling me about her Tempurpedic bed -- VERY expensive, no way I could afford it. So this sounds very good.

I went to the overstock website, and saw the 4" topper, as well as cheaper thinner ones. So I'm pretty sure the cheaper ones people posted about are not 4".

Anyways, thanks for the info --

Mary
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

It's about 2 inches. Just a warning, if you get hot at night, these will make you hotter.

I still have the problem with moving around so much in my sleep that these and my sheets come off of my bed. I've tried those elastic things and believe it or not, I can make them pop off. Mom and I are working on something to put more elastic on my sheets. My sleep study said I moved something like 792 times at night.
  6. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

was my first attempt at relieving the tender points during the night.

It worked but I still had restless nights. Then a year after buying the memory foam topper I purchased the select number sleep bed. WOW... this was the single best thing I did for my nighttime tossing and turning due to pressure point pains.

The topper was good and definately a step in the right directions.

If that does not work consider a sleep number bed. (you might try one of those queen size air up mattresses) I use that for 3 weeks when we were at my sisters visiting this summer and it was as good as my select number bed....it just takes more work to adjust it during the night...

The select number bed has a remote control adjustment and on bad nights I change it 3 or 4 times during the night.

7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I agree the 4 inch pad seemed better. I always think you get what you pay for. Also, we have three Tempurpedic beds and I have never felt hot while sleeping on one.

I came very close to buying the Select Comfort Sleep Number bed last year. I came home to check them out on the internet and discovered they had a problem with mold growing in the air chambers.

The bed was very expensive and I had no intention of having to take it apart to clean it with bleach water, which is what the sales associate advised I should do.

The company stock had fallen due to anticipated warranty issues with the mold problem. I do believe it was a minor situation, however I chose to stick with the memory foam mattress. The bed they were trying to sell me was close to $8,000. way too much money...

8. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I bought mine at Sam's Club. King size was $126. including tax. Was the best thing I did for myself. Sleep better, no aches and pains when I wake up. Do not find it hot at all, and this is a person who has had hot flashes and night sweats. Actually I find this much cooler.

They also have the mattress on sale there also. $367 and change. We decided on the topper as our mattress is in great shape and did not want to spend the extra money right now.

Good luck.
  9. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I've been doing this since I got approved for SSDI last month - I don't even have a bed of my own [or a bedroom to put it in yet but hopefully in a few weeks I will] so I've been doing lots of reading.
    A good place to get info is Healthy Foundations [located in Colorado]. They talk about the right thickness, density, etc. Of course, they also sell mattresses and toppers [I'm NOT advertising here!] but there are other places like Body Zone which looks good and a little cheaper. I'm also looking at a Novaform mattress at Costco but I think it might be too thick.
    Anyway, I appreciate everyone else's info and opinions before I invest! This is gonna have to last a LONG time!
    Thanks!

Char
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

what is too thick? The one at Sam's is only 2".

Sonya
  11. vbrown

vbrown New Member

So glad I read your post. Was really afraid I'd get hot after reading other posts. Guess it depends on the person. My husband gave me a Wal-Mart gift card to get the topper and pillow (he didn't have a clue what one was. I got it last night and will sleep on it tonight. Looking forward to seeing how I'll feel in the morning.
  12. vbrown

vbrown New Member

So glad I read your post. Was really afraid I'd get hot after reading other posts. Guess it depends on the person. My husband gave me a Wal-Mart gift card to get the topper and pillow (he didn't have a clue what one was. I got it last night and will sleep on it tonight. Looking forward to seeing how I'll feel in the morning.