FOAM ROLLERS for myofascial, tight muscles, knots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumpkinpatch, Nov 1, 2006.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Went to Rehab Store today and bought a FOAM ROLLER and found foam roller stretching exercises online. Boy this works. Just finished the lower half including calves, thighs, IT bands, gluts, inner thighs. Going to continue plus I'm using the vibration two headed massager that Hayley recommended. Now I'm into my 7th week and starting to notice a difference in my pain.

Cindy
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am not familiar with the foam roller but will check it out.

I have a very good massage chair and it does stretching. I am interested in your roller though.

Thanks for posting this...
  3. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

thanks for posting this cindy, im always looking for other ways to rub thies knots out!

glad your feeling better..=) roll

ps, do you know where i can find info online for thies? thanks
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Glad you noticed my post. I think that a majority of my problems stems from RSI or overuse from past jobs and never stretching.

The foam roller I bought is 36"x6" amd is a roll. You can apply as much pressure as you want with your body. Start slow at first. Here is an article. But if you do a search for "foam rollers stretching" you will find great info.

ROLL YOUR MUSCLES AWAY FROM HARM

September 25, 2006

Question: I see foam rollers in the gym and have no idea what they are for. Should I use them?

Answer: Don't those foam rollers look funny? As silly as they might look, they are ingenious and wonderful mechanisms to help your body achieve proper balance.

The cylindrical piece of foam, also called foam rolls, are used for balance and stretching.

You probably have seen rolls in a full cylinder shape and in a half cylinder.

The halves are great for balancing on. If you are a beginner, you can place the flat side on the ground and stand on the round part. If you are past that, you can put the round half on the ground and stand on the flat part. You can try this by placing one hand on the wall for support and then take your hand away.

The greatest benefit of the full foam rollers are for self-myofascial release.

Fascia is the fibrous tissue that surrounds and separates muscle tissue. Any trauma to the tissue of the body (as in resistance training) can create inflammation. In turn, the inflammation activates the body's pain receptors and can initiate a protective mechanism, increasing muscle tension and/or causing the muscle to create spasm. These spasms can create adhesions or knots in the soft tissue. These adhesions form a weak, stiff area of tissue that decreases normal elasticity of the soft tissue. The result is shortened muscles and muscle imbalances.

To stop this vicious cycle of muscle tightening and imbalances, you have to stretch the fascia that surrounds the muscles.

Since fascia is not easily stretched, it must be done with outside pressure. That is where the foam rollers come in.

Self-myofascial release is a flexibility technique where muscles are rolled over the foam roll, using body pressure to massage micro-adhesions in the fascia.

Do each self-myofascial release stretch, holding for 20 to 30 seconds, at least once before you exercise. Before performing the roller stretches, warm up on the bike, treadmill or elliptical machine for five minutes to get the blood flowing in your muscles.

Be careful when you are new to using the rollers. The pressure can feel intense at first and that usually means your muscles and fascia are tight, and you need to keep at it. You cannot overdo it with frequency, so utilize this method all the time.

here is the stretching exercises i've started with:
    http://www.power-systems.com/news/01_26_06b.aspx

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

My Deep Tissue/Myofascial Massage therapist told me about the foam rollers this week. Said her husband is a runner and gets sore muscles and this roll really helps so I decided to buy one.

I'm doing the series starting at the bottom calves and working up. Going at my own pace and when I roll I take note of the tender areas (knots) and I stay on that spot until it softens or releases. I also noticed that I have lots of spasms in the gluts. That covers most of the front of your upper legs and it takes a strong hold. When the spasm releases it's a wierd hurting feeling.

I go back to MT tomorrow. She is very strong and goes for adhesions and loosens the fascia.

Cindy
  6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

thanks for sharing and I hope this continues to work for you.

I will check this out as well, as I have CMPS too.

Raz
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes do check this out. Warm up your muscles before using the roll. I use moist heat. Really helps.
    I wonder if our choice of professions had anything to do with this. I worked heavy on computers for many years and then in postal sorting and heavy lifting. Plus I never stretched to top this off.

8. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

bUMP FOR rAZOR