FOAM ROLLING Myofascial Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by pumpkinpatch, Jan 12, 2008.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

If anyone thinks alot of their pain stems from myofascial pain and muscle knots the foam rolling might be worth a try. I'm been persistent for 1 full month now and It's paying off. I have a foam roller i bought at the rehab store and I foam roller every day all over my body and yes the muscles are starting to finally give in and relax. I have to warn you that it HURTS when you start but it gets been as the days go by. For me it's a good hurt and feels better after i roll. I just wanted to tell someone as I'm excited to feel some relief. As the 2 tennis balls in a sock help with trigger points.
    Even if no-one responds i'm happy I put this out there.
    C.C.
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I also live with the pain from MPS and it gets worse in the cold weather . But what is "Foam Rolling?" I have never heard of it. I would be interested to learn about it.

Rosemarie
  3. AnnieLeu

AnnieLeu New Member

helping you but what is it? I have these painfull knots all over my neck & back area and the theracane is SO very painful to use since it is made of wood. OUCH!!! I'm glad you posted this as I would like to hear more, like how you do this? Can you do it yourself?
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i seen these and they looked like the noodles for the pool so i cut one of mine down to use it i had such pain the next day i couldnt move and i didnt over do it the tennis ball works better for me maybe because it aint spreading all the muscles at once i just want people to be aware i have a severe case of cmp though it is everywhere along with permant injuries hugs charlene
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I paid $20. for my foam roller. If you google you will see a picture. My roller is about 16" wide by 3 ft. long foam cylinder. It really hurts but you can apply as much or as little pressure. eventually my muscles are releasing and I'm able to to withstand more pressure. I do the sides of my legs, hamstrings, calves, back, sides of shoulders etc. My hamstrings, thighs are the worst. just roll back and forth in small increments and if I hit a hot spot (knot) I stop on that and the pain subsides after a few seconds.

Now remember this is what is working for me. i really think my previous job (physical repetitive postal work) contributed to the fascia and muscle knots. Overuse and overload.
    Another thing I'm not any sorer the next day or bruised from foam rolling. After I roll I use the aloe Vera gel.

Oh by the way Because I'm releasing the upper back, shoulder blades etc. my neck is getting better. I can even get the roller kind of length wise and get under the blade and just stay there. You get good and it and learn alot of tricks after a while.

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2008]
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

is helping you with your myofascial pain.

Just wanted to describe my latest technique. I don't know if my pain or extreme discomfort is typical, but I have an armour-like hardness of my back and shoulder muscles. I feel like I have an exoskeletin! I am NOT like the lady in the fibro commercial who is "tender to the touch". It takes very heavy pressure to feel like I am breaking up the concrete slab that is my back/shoulder muscles.

I've tried the Miracle Balls, used the foam noodles, and improvised a cane-like devise (can't afford the Theracane), and still only get very momentary relief if any.

I've tried tennis balls before but am now back to them and hope that by using them in the way I do...and on a regular basis...that it will help. I've inserted 3 tennis balls in an old sock and tied off the end making a spread of about a foot wide. I put them on the floor and lie on them positioning them between shoulder blades, then scoot up and down a little. I stop to reposition up and down my spine. Because I need a LOT of pressure, I use my feet to lift up my butt and allow ALL the pressure of the balls to massage my "armour". I hear everything crack and crunch and it feels WONDERFUL! It is the most helpful method I've tried, and the relief actually lasts awhile. I'm hoping that if I do this REGULARLY and keep it up it will make a real difference.
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes I also use 2 tennis balls in a sock and hit the biggest target knots but for me the foam roller takes in more of an area.
    The biggest benefit for me is not giving up and being persistent day after day. It's taken 1 full month to see some improvement. My quads are finally giving in and relaxing when I pause of them. You get to know the feeling.
    I even brought my foam roller and tennis balls into the Hotel at Christmas during the holidays! I got a few odd looks in the hotel lobby!!! ha.
    C.C.
  8. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I am for it. I use the theracane, tennis and golf balls as well as supported fingers to relieve my CMP. They all help so much. You were right, go easy at first because it can perpetuate a fibro flare. Drink alot of water also. Glad to hear you are getting some relief pumpkinpatch. p
  9. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Thanks for all your responses, and yes whatever it takes to get some relief.
    Oh by the way sleepy the foam roller is hard and you can apply as much or as little pressure as you need. Apparently there are foam rollers that are softer or harder. I would say mine is harder.

[This Message was Edited on 01/13/2008]
  10. Erjohnson

Erjohnson Member

In addition to using tennis balls and foam rollers, both of which are great, try using a small, weighted medicine ball. They are soft, plastic balls filled with heavy beads of some sort. I use one with the brand name "Valeo" and it weighs 4 lbs.-- works great on knotted muscles or trigger spots.
  11. luigi21

luigi21 Member

I use a rubber ball like the ones kids play with as they are more affective for me. Tennis balls are something the physiotherapist tend to go with, but i find something smaller works for me, it works like the petrissage technique in massage, its also easier to move between you and the wall (the stocking or sock stops it falling to the floor). Squash balls are another. Id never recommend the use of a ball that has no "give" you could end up causing damage and bruising. Do not over do it, make sure the area is warm before you do it, and you can use a cold spray afterwards anything with camphor oil works well. Similar to the stretch and spray technique. Never heard of using a foam roll that is interesting.

Katherine
  12. deepak

deepak Member

Dry needling works wonders for knots. They insert a very fine needle like the ones used in acupuncture - which, essentially breaks the muscle knot. It is fantastic.

Btw, I too have ordered a foam roller from Amazon last week - should get it soon ! . I ordered the Grid foam roller.

Love,
    Deepak