Fog Or What?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaGa, Nov 14, 2002.

1. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Can someone tell me what causes this?My memory has been bad for a long time, I went for brain mri,neuro dr.He had no idea(my short tearm memory is shot)also I cant remember things like spelling which I was good at.Have to shearch for words,names(I feel dumb)Lately it has gotten worse than ever befor.I was dianosed with fms 7 weeks ago. Lately our water has alot of clorine or whatever is in the drinking water because it tastes real strong was wondering if this cause the fog to be so bad.I feel like my mind is going crazy. LindaGa
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2002]
  2. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Can someone tell me what causes this?My memory has been bad for a long time, I went for brain mri,neuro dr.He had no idea(my short tearm memory is shot)also I cant remember things like spelling which I was good at.Have to shearch for words,names(I feel dumb)Lately it has gotten worse than ever befor.I was dianosed with fms 7 weeks ago. Lately our water has alot of clorine or whatever is in the drinking water because it tastes real strong was wondering if this cause the fog to be so bad.I feel like my mind is going crazy. LindaGa
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2002]
  3. kellym

kellym New Member

Its difficult to deal with the fog, especially when you can remember being "smart". I wish I knew what caused it. I've had the MRI thing, too, with no luck. As far as I can tell, its just part of our DD. Some days or moments seem to be worse than others, but it still seems progressive, doesn't it? My rheumy doc told me that I do NOT have alzheimer's and that the brain damage is NOT permanent, but the other day, I completely forgot that I was married, and once I remembered that (had to look at my hand to see), it took a while to remember who he was.
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Linda:

I know what you mean. When I got my fibromyalgia diagnosis in July 2002, while I wasn't thrilled to have this disease, at least I finally had an answer to my "fogginess". It was a relief to know that I wasn't getting senile at a young age or losing my mind some other way. I used to wonder why my memory was so bad so days and why I was acting so stupid. I have noticed lately that I sometimes know what I want to say, but I can't always think of the word. It's very frustrating at times, but I try to be patient with myself. It has helped my husband to know why I act this way, too. So far I haven't had any trouble spelling, which is good since I am a secretary.

Sorry you have to go through this, but at least you know you are not alone. That's what I love about this message board-there is so much support here!

Ellen
  5. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Is it a brain thing or meds ect. My dr didnt tell me and im new to the dianosis LindaGa
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Linda,

I noticed a short term memory problem at the same time I was developing pain in specific tender point areas. Several months later, I got the FM diagnosis.

I still get Fibrofog and it is at it's worse when I am tired and hurting, especially with no afternoon nap.

I keep a list of things to do in almost every room of my house. My weakest area is keeping up with paying our bills.
    In the past week, I've had the cable turned off, garbage collection stopped. It was very embarrassing for me and frustrating as well. Not to mention watching the irritated look on my hubby's face, but we endured, got it all back in order.
    I am getting better with dr. appointments. I take lists in for my exam to cover any issues I might have at that appointment.

After awhile, I began to think it was the drugs causing my confusion, nay...just the fibro!
    But, we all know stress gets us everytime and some days I feel like that little icon above that's eyes are going round and round!!

No doctor has suggested to me to have any neurological testing. Knowing it is not progressive, you just have to learn a way that is "best for you" to help in your everyday life.

I wish you well,
    granmama
  7. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

So maybe im not losing it, these dr dont tell you what is going on mine said it fibro and not what it was or nothing gave us a pamplet and on to his nevt appointment. LindaGa
  8. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi LindaGa,
    Being depressed causes brain fog but taking Prozac or other anti-depressants can cause it too.(damned if you do and damned if you don't)
    In monkeys, Prozac causes permanent brain damage. ("Prozac Backlash" by Joseph Glenmullen MD)
    I am learning to cope with poor memory by writing everything down and keeping my notes with me. Now if I could only remember to refer to my notes!
  9. vickiveil

vickiveil New Member

Hi All,
    I have been reading the message board and participated in a chat or two since I have found this board. I think this is the best message board I have ever found for fms and cf.

I have recently been placed with a tens unit for my fibro and chronic back pain and I think I may have just received my first blessing for this pain in 5 years. I would say that my pain level is down by 50% and once that pain level went down, I became so clear! I tell ya, I felt like I was able to focus for the first time in years.

I know that sometimes tens units help and sometimes they don't. So right now, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it releives some pain even if it is 10%.

Isn't this just the most horrible disease?
    I remember when my dr first diagnosed me.
    She said "Vicki, what you have is not a pinched nerve, it is a muscle disease called Fibromyalgia"
    She went onto explain a bit about it, and I asked,
    would I end up in a wheel chair or would I die...
    She assured me that I would not.
    5 years later, and with little or no relief until this past 3 weeks (since a change in doctors)
    there are days that I wish for exactly those two statements...
    death or wheel chair.
    Its hard to deal with.
    I am so glad to have found this board.

Vicki
  10. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

i can remember things that happened 10 yrs. ago and old old phone nmbers. but if you asked what i said 20 minutes ago my mind is a bliss. i put things up cant remember where i put them, cant remember names, im told something once and 15 minutes lATER ILL ASK WHAT DID YOU TELL ME ABOUT THAT AGAIN. ITS REALLY WEIRD . never had a problem with short term memory till later in the disease. its not fun, also sometimes youll be talking and forget what you were talking about. remember there are brighter days
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2002]