FolaPro = Deplin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

My doctor suggested I think about adding Deplin to treat my depression. In researching it, I realize how it may fit in with the benefits of the methylation protocol (I haven't been around in a while, so I need to reread about it). Is FolaPro that I read about the same thing as Deplin? Anyone know? thanks for any help.....Diane
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Diane.

Yes, it's the same stuff. Pamlab has a license from Merck, Germany, to make "medical foods" containing 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Merck holds the patent on a method of production of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Even though it's a natural substance and is normally the main form of folate in human blood serum, they have a patent on their method of producing it. Medical foods are basically food supplements or combinations of them that are approved by the FDA and sold by prescription. They only make sense financially if there is a patent involved, so that they can have a monopoly and raise the price. Pamlab is producing several medical foods containing 5-methyl THF now, and they are promoting them heavily to the doctors. The dosage of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in Deplin is very high compared to the dosage used in the simplified treatment approach for CFS. Depending on the person's need for vitamin B12, I suspect that a dosage as high as what is in Deplin could give a person with CFS some nasty detox and die-off symptoms, particularly if they took an active form of B12 (hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin) at the same time.

3. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

Diane --- FolaPro sounds like a Metagenic product. Deplin is a prescription, but natural. It has really worked for me. Can't handle drugs, at all . Betty
  4. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

Diane, What is this? Betty
  5. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

I take 7.5 mg a day ( 1 Tab) No side affects like that . I'm very happy w/ it . With insurance, $3.00 a month. God bless, BT
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, jaminhealth and the group.

I just want to note that the methylation cycle treatment for CFS at its barest bones still requires both a bioactive form of B12 (hydroxocobalamin) and a bioactive form of folate (5-methyltetrahydrofoate, aka FolaPro, Metafolin, or Deplin). Having high levels of B12 or folic acid in conventional blood serum tests doesn't mean that your body is able to convert them to the active forms that it actually uses. I've seen lab test results from several people with CFS who have a high blood serum B12 value, but still have a partial methylation cycle block because their bodies are not able to convert B12 to the active form fast enough. This occurs because the level of glutathione is too low to protect the B12 from reaction with toxins.

Taking a high dose of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (such as the 7.5 millgrams in Deplin) by itself seems to help a lot of people who have depression. But if you are trying to recover from CFS, it takes both 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and hydroxocobalamin, and the dosage of the former should be much less than is in Deplin in order to avoid being overwhelmed by the detox that will likely ensue. And it's better to include the other three supplements in the simplified treatment approach, too, to cover any nutritional deficiencies tht might be present and to help the folate metabolism.

For those who aren't familiar with this treatment approach for CFS and want to find out more, please read my post of July 18, 2007. This treatment appears to be helping about two-thirds of the people with CFS who are trying it.

I recommend taking the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel to see whether you do indeed have glutathione depletion and a partial methylation cycle block before deciding, together with your doctor, whether you want to try this treatment. Here is the contact information:

Methylation Pathways Panel

This panel will indicate whether a person has a partial methylation cycle block and/or glutathione depletion. I recommend that this panel be run before deciding whether to consider treatment for lifting the methylation cycle block. I am not associated with the lab that offers this panel.

The panel costs $300 and requires an order from a physician or a chiropractor. The best way to order the panel is by fax, on your clinician’s letterhead.

Available from:

Vitamin Diagnostics, Inc.
    Rt. 35 & Industrial Drive
    Cliffwood Beach, NJ 07735
    Phone:+1 (732) 583-7773
    Fax: +1 (732) 583-7774)

Lab Director: Tapan Audhya, Ph.D.
    (usually at the lab on Tues. and Wed. from 1 to 3 p.m., Eastern time)

Dr. Audhya is willing to help clinicians with interpretation of the panel by phone.

Here's a description of the supplements in the simplified treatment approach:

March 26, 2008

(Extracted from the full treatment program
    developed by Amy Yasko, Ph.D., N.D.
    which is used primarily in treating autism [1])

1. FolaPro [2]: ¼ tablet (200mcg) daily
    2. Intrinsi B12/folate [3]: ¼ tablet daily
    3. General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula [4]: start with ¼ tablet and work up dosage as tolerated to 2 tablets daily
    4. Phosphatidyl Serine Complex [5]: 1 softgel capsule daily
    5. Activated B12 Guard [6]: 1 sublingual lozenge daily

All these supplements can be obtained from, or all but the third one can be obtained from other sources.
    The first two supplement tablets are difficult to break into quarters. We recommend that you obtain (from any pharmacy) a good-quality pill splitter to assist with this process. They can, alternatively, be crushed into powders, which are then separated on a flat surface using a knife or single-edged razor blade, and the powders can be mixed together. They can be taken orally with water, with or without food.
    These supplements can make some patients sleepy, so in those cases they take them at bedtime. They can be taken at any time of day, with or without food.
    GO SLOWLY. As the methylation cycle block is lifted, toxins are released and processed by the body, and this can lead to an exacerbation of symptoms. IF THIS HAPPENS, try smaller doses, every other day. SLOWLY work up to the full dosages.
    Although this treatment approach consists only of nonprescription nutritional supplements, a few patients have reported adverse effects while on it. Therefore, it is necessary that patients be supervised by physicians while receiving this treatment.

[1] Yasko, Amy, and Gordon, Garry, The Puzzle of Autism, Matrix Development Publishing, Payson, AZ, 2006, p. 49.
    [2] FolaPro is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [3] Intrinsi B12/Folate is a registered trademark of Metagenics, Inc.
    [4] General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula is formulated and supplied by Holistic Health Consultants LLC.
    [5] Phosphatidyl Serine Complex is a product of Vitamin Discount Center.
    [6] Activated B12 Guard is a registered trademark of Perque LLC.

Rich Van Konynenburg

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2008]
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hey, Jam, I can add one thought to your question about side effects of taking folate. I have noticed that any time I am detoxing, my body seems to need a lot of healthy fats. Otherwise I can get pretty dried out. I wonder if this could be related to why folate makes some people have dry mouths?

8. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Do you know if any company has plans to make the FolaPro/Intrinsi in lower dosages? If not, has anyone tried lobbying them?

I have a brand name pill splitter, and the process is still a nightmare. The grinding up and quartering like lines of coke on a mirror doesn't sound much easier.

With regard to the methylation panel, what medium is tested? Is it blood?
  9. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, aftermath.

Dr. Amy Yasko has expressed her intention to develop combinations of supplements combined in more convenient form for autism (and they would probably also be appropriate for CFS). I haven't heard that this plan has been brought to fruition yet.

I think the sticky wicket is that FolaPro is made by a patented process by Merck Germany. They license distributors. This limits the flexibility of the distributors, I think.

I know it's a pain to divide these tablets into smaller dosages. Hopefully as the market develops there will be an incentive to make more convenient forms. I'm working to get the CFS community on board with this treatment. In March we will be presenting a poster paper at the IACFS/ME conference in Reno on the research study that Dr. Nathan has been conducting in Missouri. Some of the doctors in the FFCs are starting to use this treatment, as well as several independent doctors now.

The Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel uses blood samples.

Best regards,

10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i was doing searches about deplin- and it sounds like it has helped many who tried it.

but i would try the folapro instead because its smaller dose and cheaper and available over the counter.

i gotta try this!

11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, bigmama2.

I hope that FolaPro turns out to help you.

I do want to note again that the simplified treatment approach for lifting the methylation cycle block calls for a combination of an active form of folate and an active form of vitamin B12. FolaPro by itself will probably not lift the methylation cycle block. You could tell for sure in your own case by taking the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation pathways panel. It will show you the status of your folate system, as well as your methylation cycle and your glutathione.

We recently reported at the IACFS/ME conference on a clinical study in which this panel and this treatment were used, and the results were very positive.

The other point I want to emphasize is that a person on this treatment needs to be monitored by a physician, because a few people have experienced adverse effects, even though it consists only of over-the-counter food supplements. If the methylation cycle has been partially blocked for an extended period of time, this treatment can pack quite a punch. Going slowly is a good idea.

Best regards,