folic acid or folate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rgreen4411, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rgreen4411

rgreen4411 New Member

Taking folic acid can cause a vitamin B12 deficiency that does not show up on blood tests or lab tests. There is enough folic acid in food, added to foods and in multivitamins. You should not take extra folic acid.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Folic acid is a synthetic form of folate which a large percentage of the population has difficulty converting to folate. Folic acid can actually cause a deficiency of folate, because it competes for absorption with folate, and a deficiency of folate can cause macrocytic anemia, which can cause fatigue, digestive problems, etc. If your MCV on your CBC blood tests is high, it can indicate a deficiency of either folate or B12 or maybe both.

Here is a link to a very good short article which explains the above:
    http://heal-thyself.ning.com/profiles/blogs/folate-vs-folic-acid

So all the folic acid in our foods and multivitamins etc. can actually be causing a folate deficiency and other serious health problems unrelated to a B12 deficiency.

Having said all this, it is true that supplementing with folate of folic acid can mask or hide a B12 deficiency. So although someone may have a folate deficiency, in addition to taking folate (methylfolate or metafolin is a very good bioactive form), they should also take sufficient B12 (methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin are the best forms).

I've had low B12 forever (despite taking lots of B12 forever both sublingually and in injections), but only learned last spring that I was deficient in folate, despite taking lots of folic acid. I stopped all folic acid and started taking methylfolate (Solgar brand) and noticed an almost immediate increase in energy. My MCV number was just about at the top of the "normal" range. So I'm still taking B12 but also methylfolate. I need to have another CBC to see what my numbers are now.

I also found recently that vitamin B6 in the coenzymne form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate also increased my energy, despite having taken B6 in the standard form of pyridoxine (in a B complex vitamin) forever. I keep learning!

Mary
  3. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Hello,

Thanks for this, I had no idea!