Food Allergies How to Get Tested?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twerp, Aug 15, 2006.

1. twerp

twerp New Member

Hi Everyone, I see a lot posted here regarding food allergies. As far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything, but who knows?

So, what kind of Dr. do you go to in order to be tested? And, what does the testing involve?

If someone who has been through the testing would reply, I would really appreciate it.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Twerp:

I went to an immunologist for food allergy testing.
    All came back OK.
    That put my mind at ease and it was worth checking it out.

It was about seven years ago I had it done, basically when I was just diagnosed.

I hope you get good results!

nyrofan
  3. twerp

twerp New Member

I appreciate your input very much. I'm going to look into the testing.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Interesting. Mine was done with a blood test through Great Smokies Lab. Now I'm wondering if it was as efficient as the old skin prick ones that my kids had years ago. It didn't show much except a slight allery to wheat and maple trees and yet I feel better when I don't eat wheat. Can't do much about the maple trees here.

Does anyone know how efficient the blood testing is for allergies?

Marta
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I had mine done where they inject a small amount of what they suspect you are allergic to.

The common culprits are wheat, dairy, tomato, oats, so they usually test you for that and fruits like strawberries, pineapple, etc.

They look for a raised, itchy reaction.

It is very important that you go to an Allergist/Immunologist and have the DOCTOR do this test, in the event that you would have a bad reaction, they know how to respond.

My husband had a technician do this test, and it really made me nervous.

I tested allergic to just about everything, except bananas.

On the other hand, I recently went to a Kinesiologist for Allergy Elimination. That is very controversial, and I haven't decided yet if it is worth it, I am still going through it
  6. yuckie

yuckie New Member

My food sensitivity test was one of the most important things I have done to manage my symptoms! My doctor took blood (3 vials, I think) and sent it to ImmunoLab who did the actual testing. My doctor received back a complete report which she went over with me and they also sent her a booklet (individualized for me) which she gave me. The booklet included a wallet size card listing all my food sensitivities. Did you know that food sensitivities can cause; migraines, muscle pain, skin disorders, joint aches, fatigue..... If you plan to do this, I suggest you go this route. It is money well spent. Janice
  7. twerp

twerp New Member

I appreciate the additional information.

Twerp
  8. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I can attest to that, because it turned up nothing but dust mites for me. When I had VEGA machine tests, totally non invasive, it ws very accurate, even though i didn't think I had food allergies at all. I had many major food sensitivities though, causing a myriad of pain and digestive symptoms. It made a huge difference to know what they were.

I get a different type of testing at my enviromental docs office, similar to what a naturopath might do. They either inject or give you drops under your tongue, take your pulse and record whatever symptoms come up. This is helpful to kow exactly what the allergen does to you, you can say, oh yeah, so that's why I get sore knees or whatever.

They've stopped injecting me, because my skin just doesn't react to allergens, even though I can have a very nasty allergy when they give it sublingual. That's why scratch testing can be so innacurate.

I haven't done the blood testing, but I've heard amazing things about it. You can get the send away type, very pricey, or reasonable live blood analysis.

Jeanne
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am looking into for me and my daughter who has Crohn's and chronic headaches/miagraines. I found a local naturopathic dr who sends you to a lab to get the blood taken and it gets sent of to some lab in Washington. I think. Don't know the name yet.

I haven't seen this dr yet, but I gotta start some where. I can't go on like this. The only bad thing is this cost so much money and we have no insurance. I don't see how I can return to work in a couple of wks and I haven't told my hubby yet. I just have no stamina, my gut is killing me, and my head still feels funny.

Raz