Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by street129, Apr 8, 2009.

1. street129

street129 New Member

Has anyone with cfs, suffer with food allergies, and what remedy did you use, thanks I need help
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been tested for other allergies(all Negative) but not food, yet I think I do have them. As far as a remedy I haven't found one yet as I can't pinpoint what I am allergic to. I do know when I eat certain foods, I get sinus issues, body aches and my cfs seems to worsen. As soon as I am up to it I am going back for the food allergy testing. I don't seem to be bothered with stomach issues just my cfs seems worse. So may not be food allergies. With this darn dd who knows.

Sorry, I am of no help but will be watching for others to post.
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

no pun intended. :)
    A lot of people are allergic to preservatives do to the overuse of them in everything. The only treatment for food allergies is to cut out the stuff that you think may be bothering you. Pay close attention to what you eat and what kind of reaction you have. A lot of food allergies cause sinus issues, digestive issues (pain, cramping, constipation, diarrhea), and then the typical more obvious swelling of the throat and face.

I am allergic to a lot of food including gluten, preservatives (not sure which ones so I avoid them all) and rice and am lactose intolerant. Luckily I'm not allergic to any nuts, soy or anything of that nature (phew! cuz I love em!)

I would recommend seeing an allergist and being tested but the problem is many food allergy tests come back negative even though you are reacting (obviously annoying). So it's a process of elimination.

I decided to just stick with the foods I know don't bother me, doesn't leave me with much but at least I can function. And once you start feeling better, you can add foods back in and see what happens (with proper supervision of course, as this is a risky process). And this is a long process, no quick answers. I've been dealing with it for 4 years so far and I still don't have all the answers but things are getting better.

good luck!
  4. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

For medically-diagnosed IgE based allergies, most allergists recommend avoidance of the food.

Some people have food intolerances due to incomplete digestion of food -- which in turn is often due to low stomach acid or low digestive enzymes. Supplementation w/Betaine HCL and/or digestive enzymes can be helpful.

Of course, pinpointing WHAT, if any, your food offenders are would be a reasonable first step.

Best wishes.
  5. restauranthell

restauranthell New Member

Got get yourself an ALCAT food test. That will give a you a nicely organized list of what you and can and cannot eat.
    Here is one list of supplements for leaky gut. Not meant to be, be all end all, but I thought it was good start.