FOOD AlLeRgY testing by BloOd a new test? (Marta?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Aug 18, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

a 'new' type of blood test? I had one type (of blood test) quite a few years ago, only told me I was allergic to fructose... but I was already avoiding certain foods I already knew I was allergic to.

... wonder just how well this new one would work, anyone try it yet?

The Sage ELISA Delayed Food Allergy Test
    The SAGE Systems' Food Allergy Test is based on using an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assay (ELISA) which measures the presence of both IgG and Immune Complexes against a wide variety of food, food additive and dye antigens in a patient's serum. Unlike all other tests, which measure only IgG, the Sage ELISA test employs a unique process (patents pending) to measure both IgG and Immune Complexes. The Sage ELISA test measures simultaneously both IgG and Immune Complexes (Type II and III reactions) providing the physician a more complete picture of the allergic process when compared to tests that measure IgG alone.

The Sage ELISA test differs very significantly from all others. Briefly, Sage's ELISA plate is coated with 44 different allergens (allergen is a food, food additive or dye causing allergies) in duplicate arranged in a micro titer array. Please read our comprehensive list of foods, food additives and dyes that we test. The antigens of interest are those consumed as food products or additives and dyes which cause chronic sensitivity in the acute and chronic diseases. Please review our list of symptoms associated with delayed food allergens. Additionally, another component of our unique test a is three-point standard curve. When this is done, we establish a true standard calibration curve that validates the accuracy of each of the readings we obtained and verify each antigen test result. The standard curve allows the assay to be standardized to ensure accurate from run-to-run reproducibility.

A patient serum is added to the plate and their antibodies to both IgG and Immune Complexes (analyte) bind to the allergen(s). The plate is washed and an enzyme conjugate is added that recognizes the bound antibodies of both IgG and Immune Complexes. After incubation and washing, substrate is added to visualize the bound antibodies of both IgG and Immune Complexes. The amount of optical density is proportional to the amount of bound antibody to IgG and Immune Complex. A report depicting these reactions is plotted as a simple bar graph which is easy to interpret. Using this method a physician can state with 95% accuracy that a patient has a positive or negative reaction against a particular food.

Distinct Advantages of the SAGE ELISA Food Allergy Test:

Quantitative: The kits employ a standard curve with precise amounts of antibody to calibrate the reactivity of each sample and to standardize each run.
    Standard Curve: >= 0.95 by linear regression
    Statistical Analysis: 95% confidence limits for true positives or true negatives
    Specificity: Human IgG heavy chain all isotypes (IgG 1, 2, 3, 4) and Immune Complexes. The conjugate does not cross react with other classes of antibody or Kappa or Lambda light chains.
    Micro Arrays: Food antigens are plated in duplicate using automated workstations that ensure coating accurate volumes and the correct placement of the antigens.
    Our patent pending process allows us to measure the presence of allergen-specific immunoglobulins IgG and immune complex in patient's serum. Immune complexes are indicative of allergic reactions. C3b is the common junction of all three complement pathways and must be measured to provide complete picture of types II, III, and IV reactions. Immune complexes are missed with a straight complete IgG (IgG 1-4) test measuring only these antibodies alone. Sage is measures IgG and immune complexes that bind to foods, food additives and chemicals. Therefore, the Sage test is a quantitative assay measuring immunoglobulins and complement cascade to food antigens (allergens) in serum. Allergens relates to a substance, a food, food additive, or a chemical causing allergies. Please read our list of foods, additives and chemicals that we test. The antigens of interest are those consumed as food products or additives, and chemicals which cause chronic sensitivity and acute and chronic diseases. Please review our list of symptoms associated with delayed food allergies. Furthermore, the Sage method is used to identify the presence and to quantify each allergen specific IgG and immune complex within the same assay.

Additionally, another component part of Sage's unique test is the duplication of 44 foods on each 96-well plate. Also 4 wells are left blank for establishing a linear curve on each test plate. When this is done we establish a true calibration curve to verify the accuracy of each of the readings we obtain and verify each test panel result.

wondering if anyone has tried it, or what anyone's scientific (or non-scientific, lol) opinion would be on it...

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/27/2006</i>]
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am wondering about this too

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

If I remember correctly (always a challenge) I was tested for allergies using this process but it also included general allergens.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

How long ago was it? I remember getting a similar test about 10 years ago... supposedly somehow this one is different.

Do you think it was this one? - and did you adhere to avoiding the allergens or get treatment - and if so, any differences in any of your symptoms?

5. victoria

victoria New Member

for Marta...

6. ILmom

ILmom New Member

I just wanted to share my experience with Sage Medical Laboratories, in case it helps anyone else out. I did the delayed food allergy testing through Sage and it came back saying I was supposedly allergic to 23 different things – many of them very common things (milk &amp; milk products, wheat, corn, gluten, soy, egg) and some of them things I never eat (such as saccharine, aspartame, and codfish). I strictly followed the 6 week total elimination diet, and had some improvement. However, it didn’t totally solve my issue (reflux). At the end of the 6 weeks, I didn’t strictly follow their method of reintroducing foods, though certain foods (milk and wheat) I continued to avoid. Six months later – frustrated that my root problem still persisted – I decided to redo the test to see if there was something new that I was allergic to that was causing the trouble.&lt;BR&gt;
    When I got that second test back, I realized that the supposed “science” behind this testing simply isn’t there. My new test showed that I supposedly had 26 allergies, but only ELEVEN of them were the ones on the last test! Somehow I was magically not allergic to TWELVE items, and suddenly allergic to FIFTEEN new items. Most telling, some of the new allergies were things that I hadn’t consumed in the last year (if ever) – such as crab and lobster! I contacted Sage to express how upset I was about the dramatically different results. They blamed the new allergies on the fact that I did not strictly follow the reintroduction instructions. When I pressed as to how that could possibly cause a new allergy to a food I haven’t consumed, the doctor admitted that the test isn’t perfect and can have “some” false positives. Nevertheless, they stand by their test and refused to refund my wasted money for the second test.&lt;BR&gt;
    I want to be clear that I don’t think the people at Sage are “evil” or just out to take your money. They were actually quite nice and the doctor spent a lot of time with me on the phone trying to justify their test. However, I just think that the science is just not solid enough, especially considering the high cost of the test and the even higher personal cost of trying to eliminate such a high number of things from your diet – many of which are probably perfectly safe for you to eat. You would be better off just trying to eliminate the most common triggers (such as milk, gluten, soy, egg and corn) for a few weeks and see if that makes you feel better. I didn’t ask, but I suspect that a high percentage of the Sage test results tell people they are allergic to some or all of those five items anyway). I hope this is helpful!&lt;BR&gt;
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

I had my allergy test done with blood called the RAST test all negative. Now wanting to go for the food allergy blood test. My ENT says they aren't as accurate and doesn't like them but I am all for a blood test rather than the sticking and waiting for a reaction.&lt;BR&gt;
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi gg - My allergist told me that food testing is a waste of time. You can have a reaction with skin testing, or something can show as positive in a blood test, however, he said that that doesn't mean that you will have a reaction when you eat the food. And vise versa; you can have a negative skin or blood test, and have an extreme reaction when you eat the same food.