Food, fasting, and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

A while back someone posted about feeling better when she was able to go longer periods without food. I had noticed that phenomenon myself, but ignored it for the most part since I deal with my hypoglycemia by eating fairly often.

This week I got sick and ate very little for two days. Boiled eggs were about the only thing that would stay down. Although nausea was the primary thing on my mind during that time, I did notice an absence of my usual pain. My hip was the only thing that hurt, and that came from spending so much time in bed.

Yesterday I began eating normally for the first time. I woke up with all my FMS pain back in place, plus a back ache, plus a couple of inflamed joints--my lupus barometers.

Here's what I ate:

Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad with House Vinaigrette (mixed greens, chicken, toasted almonds, Mandarin oranges--no "crispy noodles")

a few cashews for a snack

Filet of Flounder sauteed in olive oil
    carrots

Small quantity of cantaloupe

Are any of these foods more suspect than others? I'm thinking the Mandarin oranges, but what do I know? (Less and less all the time, it sometimes seems.)

Suze
  2. Suze

Suze New Member

A while back someone posted about feeling better when she was able to go longer periods without food. I had noticed that phenomenon myself, but ignored it for the most part since I deal with my hypoglycemia by eating fairly often.

This week I got sick and ate very little for two days. Boiled eggs were about the only thing that would stay down. Although nausea was the primary thing on my mind during that time, I did notice an absence of my usual pain. My hip was the only thing that hurt, and that came from spending so much time in bed.

Yesterday I began eating normally for the first time. I woke up with all my FMS pain back in place, plus a back ache, plus a couple of inflamed joints--my lupus barometers.

Here's what I ate:

Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad with House Vinaigrette (mixed greens, chicken, toasted almonds, Mandarin oranges--no "crispy noodles")

a few cashews for a snack

Filet of Flounder sauteed in olive oil
    carrots

Small quantity of cantaloupe

Are any of these foods more suspect than others? I'm thinking the Mandarin oranges, but what do I know? (Less and less all the time, it sometimes seems.)

Suze
  3. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Was there MSG in the dressing, if not, it still has preservatives in it. Also, many restaurants spray their salad bar stuff with a preservative. That probably did you in!
    Lanie
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

sorry you were ill. Lanie has a good point or is it possible you're allergic slightly to nuts? I say slightly cause you didn't go into _ _ _ (can't think of the word) shock.

You may want to keep a daily food log, that should help pick up which foods seem to cause the worst symptoms. A pain to do this, but it should be worth it too you. Def sounds like you've got some kind of food allergy or intolerance going on.

If you've got good ins., you may want to ask your dr about sending you for allergy testing. The ins. co. would save a lot of money if you find something in your diet is causing the problem...they should make them happy!

Let us know how you're doing, take care..Michele
  5. Suze

Suze New Member

....My list of acceptable foods keeps dwindling! Wendy's salad was a really nice treat, but I agree it has a lot of potential for problems.

If I'm allergic to nuts, it had to have developed in recent months--which can happen, of course, but I doubt it. Nuts have been a staple of mine since I went on a low-carb diet years ago, and I ate them all through my remission.

I'm allergic to sugar, dairy, the nightshades, and I've suspected oranges for a couple of winters now. I've resisted giving them up (I love citrus), but I can see it's time to abandon yet another food. Not to mention Wendy's crummy salad dressing. :)

Thanks!

Suze
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'd agree with the dressing or possibly the cantaloupe if you have a yeast problem. My Naturopath forbid me to eat melons, ever, because she says they are a petri dish for molds and yeasts. Cantaloupe is so healthy though. Before giving it up or anything else, I think you need more than just one day of pain. After all, it could have nothing at all to do with food!
    Hugs, Klutzo
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

After all, it could have nothing at all to do with food!

What a concept!!

LOL....I tend to blame (or credit) food for everything! But you're right, of course.

Many thanks,

Suze
  8. selma

selma New Member

Yup to all of the above. Candida can get us all!
    So can foods that contain salisylates. Hope spelling right.

Good Luck. Love, Selma

[ advertisement ]