Food & Flares..?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz41, Jun 26, 2003.

1. suz41

suz41 New Member

Have any of you ever noticed a flare (i have FM) occurring after eating certain foods? I have noticed that if I eat certain foods particularly processed that I experience IBS than I usually have a flare of pain in my hips, knees and back. Also my fatigue level increases this usually happens about 24 to 48 hours after eating foods like cake, or pizza.
    I have never had "traditional" food allergies. Any answers would be helpful I usually do eat a healthy diet, however hey it was my daughters birthday and I too want to enjoy the day.

Thanks,

Suzanne

2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Suzanne, not sure about the pain or IBS, but fatigue can indicate a food sensitivity as opposed to allergy. After doing without any milk, eggs or sugar for most of last year, I at times let myself eat "normally" this year. Since I still have probs with some foods, I just take 1-2 Benadryl when I plan on having the problem foods and otherwise avoid them.
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

Sugar does me in, and that is, of course, what I crave most. I feel better sticking to protein and whole grains and fruits and vegies, and try to eat sprouted grain breads. I avoid high fructose corn syrup on general principals because it is a truly evil "food". I love root beer, but if I drink the commercial brands, I know I will not feel well after, achy and tired. (I have FMS) Some of the health food brands are easier on me, so I try to go for those when I just have to have a root beer! Still have sugar in them, but better quality ingredients.

I've just started using stevia sweetner in tea and iced tea, to keep my sweet tooth happy, and decrease the sugar. Tastes good! Tried making a little chocolate cake (a Prevention magazine recipe, very easy and quick) using the stevia instead of the one cup of sugar, and it was a dismal failure. The dogs liked it, until I remembered they shouldn't have chocolate, and threw the rest away. Oh, well.

Y'know, we are all adults, all responsible for ourselves. If you want a piece of birthday cake, and accept the consequences and prepare for them, go for it!

Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Peace,
    Beth.
  4. suz41

suz41 New Member

Thanks for the input, I suspected that it may be the processed flour or sugar. Guess being aware of the possible problems this can create will be added to my Be Careful list. However, can't stop living completely.

Suzanne
  5. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

Mine started just after my near fatal wreck, but here it goes with me. If I eat anything with white flour (that goes for white and wheat breads), cake and icing, any thing sweet that has sugars that end in "Ose" like lactose, dextrose, glucose and fructose...the pain I feel is beyond the charts!!! That also goes for all fruit, and sweet veggies, like peas and carrots. Also potatoes, and rice send me thru the roof. The fatigue is unreal too. Im almost 42 and I have a feeling my hormones are changing since my monthly cycles are so different. I hear that hormones play alot in this type of reactions we have. I had to get off the birth control pill and Im alot better. Im going to the doctor tomorrow to have them checked. Also for diabetes and thyroid. Just want to be sure. I eat the Spelt bread. Its what saves me and I have no reaction. You can get it at the health food stores. When you eat the food that gives you a reaction do you have the acid, burning type headaches and pain around your chest and back area? I do and its awful and it lasts for 3-4 days along with the fatigue!!! Hope I have helped a bit...Pammy
  6. suz41

suz41 New Member

Pammy:

Sounds like you and I have alot in common, I've already had the lab tests done so far I'm wll within in the normal guidelines. I'm 41 and so far no changes occurring here, runs late in my family about 53-55 so I guess hormones is only a small part of it for me. I am avoiding sugars but Geee Wiz a kid only has a birthday once a year and she's only 8. Thanks for the input on the breads I will start being more careful, already eat only Jasmati or other natural rices. Veggies seem to help not hurt same with fruit. Must be the Cake!!!

Suzanne