Food poisoning a cause of Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Vinkel, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Vinkel

Vinkel Member

2. Good question! I have read that illnesses, trauma to body, stress, traumatic events can all cause Fibromyalgia.
  3. IanH

IanH Active Member

We do know that acute food poisoning aggravates the symptoms and triggers a "flare or relapse". Chronic gut dysbiosis and gut wall permeability are associated with both FM and ME/CFS but whether they are a CAUSE is not known. It is most likely that fibromyalgia (and in some instances ME) are caused by genetic predisposition combined with chronic immuno-inflammatory disturbances, these could arise in the gut or from other infections or other chronic inflammatory pathways, eg, H.Pylori infections and duodenal ulcer over many years cause a rise in pro-inflammatory cytokines which may in turn trigger a widespread pain syndrome as well as vitamin B12 deficiency which in makes all matters worse. It is starting to look like the gut (its bacteria and the gut wall) is a major player in many diseases of the nervous system, including autism, major depression and schizophrenia at least via the vagus nerve.
  4. Vinkel

Vinkel Member

Thank you very much for your reply Lil.
  5. Vinkel

Vinkel Member

Hi IanH
    Thank you for sharing your significant information with me.
  6. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Hmmm, interesting question Vinkel. Especially to me because I had food poisoning back in the 80's, and that is the decade when I first developed FM symptoms. Unfortunately, I can't remember which happened first.

Donna M.