FOOD SAFETY how long in the refrigerator???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 9, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

How long can that bottle of ketchup stay in your fridge before it goes bad?

I'm thinking 5 or 10 years (LOL...not really!)

--but if you want an expert opinion, go to the web site below. This site lists all kind of foods and how to keep them fresh longer as well as when to get rid of them.

If you have a question click on the particular picture, and a whole list of stuff appears.

2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

and i sure can use this site you posted.

What a great site. Thank you much
    Extremely Helpful !!!

Live Life Well
  3. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

our rule of thumb, what doe that mean anyway?, is when in doubt throw it out.

also after three days, the food becomes like fish and overstaying guests, they start to smell.

my hubby won't touch anything after a month, tho, lol,

how do you like living down there? i have some classmates that live down south now too, mainly deep sea fishermen, lol, when you grow up around the ocean, i guess it's the kind of places you want to retire to.

take care , hugs
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Hi Sharon, I agree, that was always my Mother's rule - 3 days in the fridge, and that's it!

I was actually surprised to see the fridge life on some opened things, especially the pasta sauces. I can remember that fear of food poisoning from it & mayo was big at least in the 1950s. My Mom had a degree as a nutrionist, so, she'd been taught all the proper stuff to do -- but, she went to college in the 1930s!

So I'm not surprised that with all the preservatives 'born' since then that there's a longer fridge/shelf life now, when I think about it!

I like it down here! Yes, it's a big change... we originally wanted to live on the coast, first choice was Mazatlan, but it was hard to find a place to rent anywhere on the coast from there to Zihuatenejo cuz of our 4 dogs, that was decent & reasonable. Actually not even rather nasty looking places would rent to people with dogs, LOL. Insane when the houses are all cement/tile and the 'jardin' (garden) is a 1'x 12' strip of grass/ flowers & rest of 'yard' is courtyard (paved)!

I'm actually happy we did move to the mountains - weather is much cooler/temperate year-round, none of the houses have heat or a/c. Tho it can get nippy on winter nights - that's what fireplaces are for...

What coastal places are your friends living in?

all the best,

5. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

What a great website!

Erika :)
  6. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

interesting site--thanks

I keep a black marker in my kitchen & mark on the bottle or jar when I open it

I also keep a black marker in my pantry and I mark the month & year when I bought something--granted canned foods generally have a long shelf life and alot of them have the "best if used by this date" but sometimes I can not find that on canned goods, or you can't read it.