foods easy to digest, any suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Nov 27, 2005.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I am having problems with foods not wanting to digest. My doctor told me that its part of diabetes. I dont go back to see her for another 2 weeks. I was wondering if any one here knows about foods that are easy to digest, or a good web site to find that info. God bless, Julie
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi Julie--

There is 'mechanical food', that which is food that has been put through a grinder. Easy to digest, able to eat what you want, then everything the body would have to digest is cut in half. Yes, I do it. With IBS-C I have to.
    Also I have had some polyps removed, so I just wanted things to go down slowly.
    Hugs......
    NyroFan
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was going to post to use a blender or small electic chopper.....put in green beans and turn them into a puree....same with peas from a can...can even make it into a soup like. Meats can also go through the process. Still tastes real good.

Sugar free applesauce......there is tapicoa and rice pudding and jellos made with a sweetner, no sugar.

I think the blender on all types of foods would work great, also make soups.......and used canned soups.....
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have Gastroparesis, which causes my stomach to delay emptying foods. Diabetics have this more than the general population.

You might want to reasearch this and ask your doctor. The doctor I was going to had to be told, by me, that I thought it was the GP. After several tests, that is what is was.

I can eat chicken, fish, cooked vegetables, canned fruit, puddings, etc. Any foods that have skin, such as green beans and peas are supposedly no-no's. I try not to eat much startch, anything with wheat, or fibrous types of food.

If you search the web under gastroparesis diet, you will asee foods that are good and bad. Even if you don't have the GP, it is still a good plan for digestion problems.

Take care!

Kim
  5. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I found this and think you may like to read it. Also don't use Dairy Products--they are the hardest to digest of any foods. Shirley

Dear Friend,
    The living is easy in summer, and so is meal planning. Healthy dinners practically make themselves if you have an outdoor grill. We've used ours several times already. Aim to grill fish as often as you grill chicken or meat. Buying a fish basket for the grill makes cooking fish incredibly easy, or follow our tips for packet cooking, below. For lunch I could live on pasta salad. Load it up with plenty of veggies and some cut-up chicken for all-important protein, and use fat-free Italian dressing instead of mayo. Appetizers whip together in a flash, too: Slice up garden-fresh tomatoes, throw on a few basil leaves, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with salt -- and voilà! In other words, use this season as an opportunity to eat fresh and light.

One summertime warning: If fresh-cut green grass or warm sand gives you the urge to run around in bare feet, resist. Diabetes makes your feet more prone to infection, and even minor skin irritations can quickly turn into something more serious, actually putting you at risk of losing a foot. Flip-flops are better than nothing, although closed sneakers or sandals are best.

Wishing you good health,

Neil Wertheimer
    Editor-in-Chief
    Reader's Digest Health Books

Unwrap a Package for Dinner

Packet cooking is a fun, fast, and easy way to enjoy fish for dinner -- and minimize cleanup. Cooking in packets retains moisture and flavor while using minimal fat. The method is wonderfully simple:
    Cut a 15-inch length of parchment paper or aluminum foil (you can also use specially designed grill bags). Place a fish filet on one half, then top with fresh veggies such as sugar snaps, snow peas, or sliced mushrooms. Snapper and salmon work well in packets, as do delicate fish such as flounder or sole.
    Add a squeeze of lemon or a few shakes of hoisin or soy sauce if
    you like. Very little liquid is needed, since the packet retains
    all the moisture from the foods being cooked.
    Fold over the edges of the parchment paper or foil and seal
    tightly.
    Throw in the oven at 400ºF or over indirect heat on the grill.
    Cooking time varies with the type of fish.
    Place on a dinner plate, unwrap, and enjoy!

A Test of Nerves
    Here's a real eye-opener: According to a new study commissioned by the American Diabetes Association, some 50 percent of people with diabetes will eventually develop neuropathy, yet most diabetics have never even heard of the condition. It occurs when nerve damage causes pain, numbness, or tingling in the feet and hands. People with neuropathy are at increased risk of foot injury, and injuries that go unnoticed due to numbness may develop into sores that become infected.

To find out if you have neuropathy, ask yourself if you have any of these symptoms:
    Tingling, numbness, burning, or prickly pain in your arms, legs, hands, or feet. The sensations can be very subtle in the beginning. They often affect the feet first.
    Sensitivity to touch -- even the brushing of your sheets against
    your skin.
    Leg cramps that may come and go, especially at night.
    Difficulty sensing the position of your feet or toes, or a sense that you can't keep your balance.

Also ask your doctor to test you for nerve damage. He or she may hold a tuning fork against body parts like your foot to see if you can detect its vibration, or touch you with a fine, hairlike wire to gauge your response to delicate stimuli. If any of these tests indicate you have nerve damage, your primary care physician will probably send you to a neurologist to learn the extent of the damage. Treatments vary depending on how the nerve damage is affecting your body. Among the steps you can take to minimize damage and discomfort include pain relievers, B vitamins, topical ointments (such as those that contain capsaicin), and prescription drugs.

Chromium: Miracle Mineral?
    There's new reason to consider taking chromium supplements if you have diabetes. The trace mineral has long been thought to help the body use glucose more efficiently and lower blood sugar levels. Now a new study finds that it may be beneficial for another reason. Researchers in Slovenia reported that the supplements helped correct a potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disorder known as a prolonged QT interval, which can lead to sudden death. A prolonged QT interval may be associated with high blood sugar and insulin levels. Not only did this interval shorten in people taking chromium, but their insulin levels also dropped significantly, indicating better glucose control.

If you decide to take chromium, talk with your doctor about it first, and don't take more than 200 micrograms a day (this is much lower than the dose used in the study). Chromium is a heavy metal that can build up in your body and cause kidney damage. There are different forms of chromium, but most studies use chromium picolinate, which the body absorbs better than the other type, chromium chloride.

Breakthrough Diabetes Drug Lowers Stubborn Blood Sugar
    If you take oral diabetes medication and it doesn't control your blood sugar well enough, this news will interest you. The FDA recently approved an injected drug called exenatide (brand name Byetta). It's a totally new type of drug -- a synthetic version of a hormone found in Gila monster saliva that helps the lizards regulate their blood sugar level despite their feast-or-famine lifestyle in the desert. The hormone spurs the pancreas to produce insulin after meals to help keep blood sugar from rising too high as the food is digested. It may even rejuvenate insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. It's unique because it lowers blood sugar without causing hypoglycemia. And there's an appealing side benefit: weight loss. The injections are meant to supplement, not replace, your current medication.

ChangeOne, the revolutionary program that has helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight safely and effectively, now has a program for people with type 2 diabetes. Try it today!

Snapper and Snaps in a Packet

Combine red snapper and sugar snap peas in foil packets and you've got a surprisingly easy and delicious dinner. This recipe works in the oven or on the grill! Get the recipe here.

More Healthy Fish Recipes:

Foiled-Baked Salmon With Lemon and Dill

Grilled Tuna Teriyaki

Grilling Safety
    As you get ready to fire up the grill, make sure to follow these guidelines, designed to help you avoid accidents and ensure healthy eating.

Each month we will highlight products developed by Reader's Digest. These offerings will help you meet your goal and STOP DIABETES IN ITS TRACKS.

Go to Stop Diabetes In Its Tracks Archive

© 2005 The Reader's Digest Association, Inc.

Subscribe | Give a Gift | Customer Care | Write the Editors | Site Map | Investor Relations/Media | Career Center
    RDConnection | Advertise with Us | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

RD.Com: Health & Fitness | Food & Recipes | Home & Garden | Family | Games & Humor | Community | Store
    Tools & Quizzes | Polls | Newsletters Archive

North American Sites | International Sites | Other RDA Sites | Every Day with Rachael Ray
    US Selecciones.com | SelectEditions.com | RDFinance.com | National Word Power Challenge