Foods you can eat when you can't eat anything ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanel06, Jun 7, 2006.

1. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

For the past 2 days I've had the worst stomach (not abdominal) cramps in my life. Like charley horses on steroids LOL No sleep as a result. I know that it was a reaction to food. My digestive system is as screwed up as it ever has been with CFS.

I am trying to get out to get Probiotics, as I know they'll help.

In the meantime, now that the worst of the pain is over and I haven't eaten in 2 days, I do need to eat or I won't rebound...

When you get these pains, or you know that just about every food on the planet will bother you - what can you eat ? Is there anything I can be almost certain *won't* hurt ?

Right now I'm terrified to try a piece of lettuce ! LOL

Thanks !

Shannon L.
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

when I get really sick and several years ago I couldn't eat anything .nothing tasted good,I would throw up it was terrible.
    anyhow I ate baked potatoes with very little butter ,salt and pepper.It was easy to fix and I could not stand long to cook.I also ate mash potatoes when someone else fixed them.At times a little gravy .The warmth felt good going to my stomach
    I know that's nuts but its all I could eat.Just don't put to much butter or gravy on them because of the fat.
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Baby food is what works for my daughter (who is now 21 by-the-way).

Breyers all natural ice cream if you can have the dairy. It has very few ingredients and none of the chemicals and stuff that's in other ice cream.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

If you don't have food allergies try toast, peanut butter, bananas, oatmeal, chicken noodle soup, crackers, rice (not all at the same time LOL)

I get stomachaches a lot and I take OTC Tagament and it usually helps within minutes.

I also have problems eating when I don't feel well and those are things I can usually tolerate pretty well.... I also eat cereal a lot too. Maybe not the best choice with a bad stomachache but maybe once you feel better, before you move on to regular food.

BTW off topic... I give my cat baby food (meatflavored ones) when she has a stomachache, she loves it but I personally think it smells terrible and wouldn't be able to eat it but maybe the baby pudding.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!
    Sincerely
    JL
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

Shanel, I see you're new here...
    Welcome, and can I ask you a few Q.s?

What's wrong with your stomache? Do you know exactly what you're allergic/sensitive to, and how do you know?

Have you had celiac testing done?

It's hard to suggest foods if we don't know what you CANNOT have....

But, when I've been too sick to eat anything else, 2 things kept me going: oatmeal and baked sweet potatoes.

I used some vanilla soy milk in the oatmeal, cuz whole/real milk made me sick then.

Are you severely underweight, malnutritioned? What does your doctor say about all this?

I'm very concerned, you got sick at such a young age, have CFS and Fm and MCS, so feel you really need to take very good care of yourself and get some type of nutrition or suffer more dire consequences.

We care, please keep us informed....
    findmind
  6. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Here are some of my favourite things to eat when my digestive system is shot: oatmeal, yogurt, jello pudding, dry crackers or toast, clear broth, sometimes scrambled eggs Hope you feel better soon. a.t.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Aloe vera juice is the number one thing to soothe and heal. Mix w/ some water or it may give you heartburn to take it straight.

the most soothing thing I know, that actually is also a heartburn remedy is marshmallow root. It comes in powder form at health stores that sell bulk herbs. Mix in water, or milk can be even better, if tolerated, (I use goat milk myself), rice milk would be ideal too. Anything w/ rice is soothing to the gut, and highly unlikely to bother it. Things w/ potatoe are pretty non-irritation too, and more nutritious than rice.

When I'm really crampy, or had diarrhea and feel all raw and inflamed, I have somehting white bread or white cracker. White flour stuff is not too nutritious, but fibre can be really irritating if you are inflamed. Rice things are surefire too, and rice milk works great w/ minimal digestion needed. I can eat most any raw veggie too, skipping sweet ones if I'm nauseaus too. Fruit is terrible for nausea btw, as is anything sweet.Fruit has actually made me throw up, even a red bell pepper (fairly sweet for a veggie), when I didn't know any better.

Black tea, that's regular market orange pekoe, is surprisingly soothing and has some anti-inflammatory properties, also best thing I know for nausea. I know green tea is touted as the start all and end all lately, but it just doesn't work as good for acute gut problems. there are tons of herbal teas that have various benefits, catnip & dandelion being top of my list, but everyone has tea right.

Jeanne
  8. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I know that my body needs me to eat something because I'm getting very lethargic, even more sleepy than normal, and feel even more crappy. Food might be a good start :)

Findmind, to answer your questions:
    What's wrong with your stomache? Do you know exactly what you're allergic/sensitive to, and how do you know?

I don't know what's wrong with my stomach exactly. I've been unwell and undergoing tests (heart & lung) for about 6 weeks. Two weeks ago I just seemed to realise that things weren't moving right, and I had a general icky feeling. I started to react to foods I hadn't reacted to in years. But my reactions weren't "normal" for me. I used to get tired, headachy, increase in pain, etc. when I ate my "allergy foods", as I called them. Lately wheat - although not constantly - would result in small hives on my arms. And other foods, usually things that contained fat in virtually any amount, just didn't it well.

About 15 years ago I went to an allergist who tested allergies sublingually as well as the more traditional manner. He told me I had a sensitivity or allergy to corn, wheat, oats, etc. My biggest sensitivity was to salt. And I showed signs of mild lactose intolerance. However, over time those intolerances seemed to subside. Evidently they're back.

My symptoms would certainly match some "stomach problems" that I'm familiar with due to family members - gallbladder, and diverticulitis. Alternatively I have the symptoms of both IBS and Leaky Gut. I can't tell if I'm constipated right now, to be honest, since I haven't been able to eat a heck of alot since the pain started. But I can tell you I'm not "regular". Which is not good.

"Have you had celiac testing done? " - no. But it's on my list of things to get tested for soon. Once I get a few more test results in (~ 2 weeks)

"Are you severely underweight, malnutritioned? What does your doctor say about all this? "

Oh heck no. LOL I am overweight. And before my latest round of serious issues with CFS started I was watching what I was eating better than I had in YEARS. If not in my entire lifetime. That's what's been so frustrating. But since my heart and breathing troubles started in mid-March, my eating has gone down hill. When I do eat, I eat whatever appeals to me. And I'll be 100% honest, that's rarely anything I'd classify as "healthy". That is undoubtedly a part of my problems now.

My goal today is to eat more. Right now I'm trying sliced peaches, because they seem to sit okay with me. I'll try a whey protein shake later, they usually sit okay. And I'll read through this post again and see what else crops up as a possibility. I am also going to get some probiotics if possible tonight.

Thanks so much !

Shannon L.

9. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use this oil and carry it in my purse. 1 drop on the back of your hand,and lay your tongue on it, will stop nausea instantly!! This is a miracle in a very small bottle. Cost about $8.00 per bottle and will last a very long time.It's also available in "Eternic coated capsules",for stomach cramps and diarrhea!
    Hugs Shirley

This popular flavoring has a variety of uses in herbology.

Peppermint has a relaxing effect on the muscles of the digestive system, combats flatulence and stimulates bile and digestive juice flow.

The oil acts as a mild anaesthetic to the stomach wall, which allays feelings of nausea and the desire to vomit. It can help to relieve the nausea & vomiting of pregnancy and travel sickness.

Peppermint can play a role in the treatment of ulcerative conditions of the bowels. It is a traditional treatment of fevers, colds and influenza. Where headaches are associated with digestion, Peppermint may help.

As a nervine it eases anxiety and tension. In painful periods, it relieves the pain and eases associated tension. Externally it is used to relieve itching and inflammations.

A couple drops can be added to a glass of water or a cup of hot water for a soothing, refreshing after-meal drink as well as a digestive aid.

Peppermint (Mentha piperita) helps promote digestion and has cooling and stimulating properties.

Many people put a touch of Peppermint Oil on the temples to help with a headache.

While other manufacturers may be tempted to sell oil of cornmint or menthol as peppermint oil, Nature's Sunshine sells only pure, unadulterated peppermint oil - a little goes a long way! *

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

RECOMMENDED DOSAGE:

Add 1-2 drops to 8oz. hot (tea) or cold water for a refreshing digestive aid.

INGREDIENTS:

Ingredients: 100% pure peppermint oil.

Note: Avoid eye and nose contact. Keep out of reach of children. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

10. stagename

stagename New Member

most canned or powdered soup (including low sodium) have MSG, which can cause headache, stomach cramps, diarhea and vomiting.

i eat sugar free apple sauce. it gives my brain a boost, too.
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I have some too. Mine are called Wow drops and have pure peppermint and chloryphil. I got them at the Modern Herbalist online, it's a candida treatment specialty site. They are to help deal w/ die-off (aka herx), and they work very, very good. They usually work better than my homeopathic drops I have specially made from my environmental allergist's. I just use one drop on my tongue, hold at least 30 seconds, swallow and instant relief. Reduces pain, allergy symptoms as well as the dreaded herx.

One personal catch for me though, I friggin hate peppermint, and this stuff is soooo strong. But the results are worth it.

Jeanne
  12. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I've had stomach problems for years :(

Great suggestion above on the peppermint oil!

Also, ginger tea soothes the stomach well.

****I would highly recommend getting some digestive enzymes for when you begin eating again. I've noticed a tremendous difference****

Nothing beats chicken soup. I would avoid raw veggies for a while, no nuts or seeds, no dairy -- too difficult to digest.

FEEL BETTER :)

13. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm still interested in what's happening with you! What's with the heart/lung tests? Why those? I read your profile, can't believe you keep on working!

So glad you have such a supportive group of people around you, family, brother and SO....

I love mysteries, too...my SO brings them home 5-8 at a time, from library, for me. I hardly never look at author's names, or even titles, lol, I just dig in and start reading.

I can even read the same book over again, cuz my memory's so bad HA!

I hope you find the answer to the stomache puzzle...or maybe the answer is not in there, but he heart/lung problem????

So curious, aren't I?? Cuz I care...

findmind
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Slimfast works wonders. It will give you all the nutrition you need. It won't upset you much, if at all.
  15. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

Definitely will try the peppermint oil.

I am going to add the digestive enzymes too. I think I'll start with probiotics, then in a week add the digestive enzymes. I'm not sure if adding them all at once is a good idea. Maybe I'll do more reading.

My SO owns a company that sells whey protein, and he's looking at getting in a "probiotic whey protein" or some such thing. In other words one with probiotics built into it. He's hoping to have a sample ready in the next couple of weeks. I'm anxious to see how that works. The whey protein has been incredibly helpful for me - particularly with the pain of the FM. But this week, it's also been almost the only thing I can eat.

Findmind, feel free to ask away :) I am very open about my battles and experiences with CFS. The heart and lung issues started about 6 weeks ago, and I've been to emergency at least twice due to extreme chest pain and lack of oxygen to my system. Each time things show up on the EKG, but blood tests indicate I'm not having a heart attack. They ruled out anxiety attack, although I do suffer from anxiety. So far my tests show I have an irregular heart beat (occasionally), an abnormal EKG, lack of oxygen to my heart and the pictures show I've "strained" my heart. But there's no cause for all of it. They are wondering if it's some other condition that's caused this to occur in my heart. So far they're not sure what to test or check next.

As for the lungs - I breath very shallowy on a normal basis. That started when I first got sick with CFS, and continues now 17/18 years later. I think it's habit, and I need to retrain myself. But it is starting to affect the oxygen levels in my blood and heart. They're just running tests to rule out the usual culprits,, and then hopefully I'll see a respitory therapist to take breathing classes LOL

I don't know if there's something behind these symptoms, or if this is just another way CFS is trying to make me wake up and pay attention to it. I do a very good - too good - job of ignoring it. I know that. I pay the consequences. Thus the stomach issues I'm sure.

Never a dull moment with CFS. Hopefully my support system will continue to be supportive and not try to trade me in for a new person :D

Shannon L.

16. stagename

stagename New Member

besides the msg, it has many other additives that may cause already food-sensitive people to feel ill. the more natural the better, i'd say.
  17. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have problems also - some of the foods I can eat are as follows: (I eat several smaller meals)

Cream of Wheat with half and half

Applesauce

Macaroni and Cheese

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes (Marie Callender frozen dinner is good)

Meal replacement drinks , I like Glucerna because of no sugar.

Toast with peanut butter and banana.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]
  18. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i have stomach problems on a somewhat regular basis. things that i've found always stay in me are plain pasta, macaroni & cheese, and breakfast cereal.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  19. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I breathe very shallow too! Is that a symptom of Fibro too?
    I didn't think anyone had that problem but me!I have Asthma also.
    Well anyway, try the Peppermint oil. It works

PS I don't like the taste of Peppermint either Jean-in-Canada,but I use it anyway. LOL
    Hugs Shirley[This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]