Foot pain in mornings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lurkernomore, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have been dealing with fibromyalgia now for fifteen years now. I can recall that one of my first, most noticible symptoms were feet that felt stone bruised every morning for a long time. It hasn't really been a problem since I was diagnosed with diabetes and have been more careful to wear better shoes and never go barefoot anymore.

Until this morning. I got up, put my weight on my left foot and owieee!!! It felt as if there were no flesh there and I was walking on raw, sore bone! It was not both feet, just the left one and it didn't get better until way up into evening.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I may have done wrong to have brought this pain back again? Because if it's something I am doing, I will be more than happy not to repeat it! Thanks in advance. Katie
  2. marw

marw New Member

Hi Katie,

I know how painful that is! I don't have diabetes, but have it from the Fibro. For years I used to crawl from my bed to the kitchen on all fours, pull myself up into a chair, have coffee, and start gently wiggling my feet and waiting for the meds to work to try to get so I could stand up.

My Rheumatologist told me what to do when I finally went to one. He said to buy a foot tub that uses parafin wax. Get one with a timer and big enough to be comfortable. The first time it will take about 6 hours for the wax to melt, but after that, just leave it on all the time at the heat level that is comfortable for you. Follow the directions that come with it....that is dip your foot, wait a few seconds, dip it again, etc. until you have a nice thick coat of warm wax on it (about 6 or 7 times,) then put your foot in the plastic baggie....they come with it....for about 10 -15 minutes. Then do the other foot. You can also do yours hands. You must faithfully do it EVERY morning and night, and after a few days (for some it takes a couple of weeks) of this deep heat treatment, the pain will stop.

Now, it is uncomfortable trying to hold your foot up in the air, so I suggest you buy a vanity stool or comfortable chair, and also a plastic foot stool (you get the foot stool at any hardware store for 3 or 4 dollars). I keep the wax tub on the footstool, but prop my foot on something else.....(side of the bed, or bathtub, or another chair, depending on where you put the wax tub.)

Hope this will work for you. It really helped me. In fact, I stopped having any foot pain at all, and got cocky, so I stopped doing it, and now the pain came back. So I have to start over. This time I intend to keep it up.

Gook luck to you!.....Margaret (marw)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2008]
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I had that before I was diagnosed with FM. I think it's just part of the FM fun! It felt like walking on nails.
    Many years ago I had a heel spur, which was awfully painful as well. I had to use a cane for a few weeks.

Is it your entire foot or one specific area? The heel spur I had was in a more specific location. The FM pain seemed to affect the entire foot. I also have neuritis in my hands and feet which also makes them feel like their burning.

It can never hurt to get it checked out.

4. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I have one of those parrafin dips for my hands, since I have OA in them. I will look into one for the feet as well, because they really do seem to help.

I hadn't even thought about that, but then the feet haven't been bothering me now in years. Yep, yesterday it was just the left foot. But you know our luck, today the pain is in both feet. Gotta give each their equal time, I suppose. ;)

Thanks again for your suggestion. I have to go to the dentist today anyway. I will look into getting one while I am out today.
  5. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

The pain seems to be up closer to the top of the sole of the foot, not far from the toes. I want to say the ball of my foot, but not sure if that is it or not.

It just seems to start near the bottom of the toes and then as I come down on the rest of the foot, it just travels as the weight comes down on it. Today both feet are playing up, as seems to be the norm for fibro problems.

I'd love to just stay off of them today, but I can't. I have a dental appointment for a cleaning, yay me! ;)
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

That's how my FM pain in my feet feel. What crazy symptoms we have eh!

Have a good one!
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

That foot pain was my very first fibro symptom and it started some eighteen years ago after the birth of my twins. I attributed it to being on my feet so much taking care of the twins. However, the pain got increasingly worse over the years, particularly upon awakening in the AM; sometimes it was actually the foot pain (on the tops of my feet) that woke me up. Interestingly, when the foot pain got really severe, that's precisely when my other fibro symptoms started to appear. Now I find that when my feet don't hurt, generally speaking, the rest of me seems to be okay. I say generally speaking because there's always a flare that's the exception to everything that preceeded it. But the foot pain is a relative constant I would have to say.

8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

It surely is crazy, CanBrit. Seems like there is never a dull moment, wondering which part is going to fall off next with this stuff, ha ha!!
  9. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Yes, it is hard to ignore foot pain. And any pain that wakes you from a sound sleep is a bad kind of pain. Not that there is a good pain, but when I do get to sleep, I'd really prefer to stay asleep and not be awakened that way!

It poured rain here last night and stormed like crazy. So today I am racking up the achey-breakies. Now my feet don't have to feels so lonely, LOL!
  10. mujuer

mujuer New Member

Have you been to a podiatrist to have it checked out? I have plantar fascitis. I was having alot of heel and arch pain. Because I have fibro and am home most of the time, I have gained weight and stopped wearing shoes. This is what tipped the scales and now I have just completed physical therapy but still have some pain. I now have orthotics in my shoes that I have to wear all of the time and I have to do stretches everytime I get up from a chair. I am trying hard to get the weight off right now. I would have it checked out though. P
  11. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

Some mornings i'll step out of bed, and just about fall on my face from the foot pain. It too comes and goes, sometimes for months at a time. Maybe an electric blanket wrapped around your feet might help???
  12. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

I think the foot pain was from my sciatica and also when I got off the fentynyl patch cuz I did not want it anymore and got on suttin weaker. I think that made my foot pain worse but I really think it has to do with sciatica or herniated disks-Kim