Footrest Helps Back Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Sep 15, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just wanted to share something that I've found helpful with others who have chronic back/shoulder pain from sitting a long time at a desk or computer. I bought an inexpensive tilt footrest to use under my desk. This wone is by Fellowes, and it cost less than $20. The footrest I had been using was flat and didn't do much for me. The slope on this one pushes me back in my chair, so that I'm less likely to lean forward and put all the stress on my spine, lower back, and neck and shoulder muscles. (I also use a back rest to provide proper lumbar support, although right at the moment, I'm not using it--and I can feel my back aching.)

I've only had the footrest for about a week, but I definitely feel it's making a difference. I bought it at Office Depot, but it's probably available at any office supply store. (There's a more expensive model that's easier to adjust, but it costs about $45, and this one, at $18, seems to be working just fine for me.)

--Laura
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just wanted to share something that I've found helpful with others who have chronic back/shoulder pain from sitting a long time at a desk or computer. I bought an inexpensive tilt footrest to use under my desk. This wone is by Fellowes, and it cost less than $20. The footrest I had been using was flat and didn't do much for me. The slope on this one pushes me back in my chair, so that I'm less likely to lean forward and put all the stress on my spine, lower back, and neck and shoulder muscles. (I also use a back rest to provide proper lumbar support, although right at the moment, I'm not using it--and I can feel my back aching.)

I've only had the footrest for about a week, but I definitely feel it's making a difference. I bought it at Office Depot, but it's probably available at any office supply store. (There's a more expensive model that's easier to adjust, but it costs about $45, and this one, at $18, seems to be working just fine for me.)

--Laura
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

ago and then people stopped buying them. We use them and yes they do take the pressure off. Love them.

Thank you, Kim and Gary
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been using a 'book' for a foot rest. Will check them out next time I get to Office Depot (they know me by name in that place).

In the mean time I am going to see if I can rig something that will be on a slant. Thats where most of my Fibro pain is, upperback/shoulders.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I have several footrests, but usually wind up using my bottom desk drawer unless I am actually typing, when I use the support built into the back of the desk. I find that having my feet on different levels is easier on my back than the real footrest. The front of the drawer is about 4" higher than the rest. This is what seems to work best for me, your mileage may vary.
    Kathryn
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have several different types and I really bought them for my Neurally Mediated Hypotension. If I keep my knees above my hips the blood doesn't all pool in my feet and I don't get fatigued as quickly.

I have one like Laura mentioned. I bought mine at JoAnne's Bed and Back Shop. They say that moving your feet back and forth, up and down, is good for fibro. I also have a small plastic step stool that I got at Target. I keep that next to my desk and put my feet on it when I'm typing or working at my desk.

I have another one that is collapsible. I keep it in my purse and use it everywhere I go. I've used it on planes, electric carts at stores, in meetings, at church. It's wonderful. That came from JoAnne's also.

These little footrests make a big difference in how I feel.

Barbara