For A:: that have ever gone to a pain management clinic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Aug 10, 2010.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

What do they do there? Do they make you go through a lot of tests and try a lot of things.

My new doctor since I moved back home to Missouri took my Percocet away. Will the pain clinics prescribe you pain meds.

My life has now turned into a day of hell each day with pain. With my meds I was able to have somewhat bit of a life.
  2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

There are far too many pain management clinics these days that DO NOT prescribe prescription painkillers. Instead, they use other remedies, like vitamin/herbal supplements, meditation, counselling, journalling, massage, accupuncture or accupressure, etc.

Not that there is anything wrong with any of those methods... but I believe if you're going to call yourself a pain management clinic, you should be willing and able to prescribe DRUGS for pain when necessary!

I suggest that, if you're thinking of going to a pain clinic, you find out whether prescription painkillers are included among the treatments they offer, when the doctor thinks it's necessary.

3. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

Hi msbsgblue.

My experience with my pain doc has been wonderful. I started out with him over a year ago when I was fed up with my pain and he started with pain blocks. They didn't seem to help and I stopped going. I then couldn't take the pain and discomfort anymore and I went back about 6 months ago and have turned down add'l pain blocks, but started taking muscle relaxers and pain medication. After my first visit back with my doc, I started seeing the NP and she is very informative. She tried to get me to talk to her about Fibromyalgia my last two visits and I told her no....not me. I made another appt with her and went to see her yesterday to discuss fb. She sat with me and told me that she believes that fb is a true disorder and that we will find what works best for me. I am to go have lab work before I go back to see her in two weeks and she has continued me on my Lunesta, doubled my muscle relaxer, take my Lortab as needed and added Cymbalta and Celebrex. She said that she is sure that this is fb, but we are going to do some other tests to rule out other measures. I think that you may want to call around and ask if certain doctors specialize or are up to date and aware of fb and willing to help you and treat you for it.

I wish you luck in finding that one doctor that will help you to live and help adjust to your lifestyle. Good luck.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know that different Dr.s have different philosophies. When my Dr. was referring me to one, she specifically wanted to find me one that prescribed narcotics. I had to call and see which Dr. at this clinic did. (There were about 10 Dr.s there).

The Dr. I saw was weird, so I didn't go back to her - but she also wasn't doing anything different than my regular Dr., so my Dr. agreed just to treat me.

I can't believe your Dr. took medication that worked for you away. That irks me. Did he/she say why? Is he just afraid to prescribe?

Read the information on pain medication on

I hope you find someone who will help you. No one, NO ONE deserves a life of pain.
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I called Medicaid that I am on now. They won't pay for physical therapy, acupuncture, and several other things that may have helped me.

I went to my disability hearing 2 weeks after she took me off my Percocet and got the shock of my life when my attorney who had gotten my med records from her told me she had listed me as addicted to pain meds. I have never been addicted. My old doctor in WA monitored me every 2-3 months to be sure. He was very careful with this.

Now if she had really thought I was addicted shouldn't she have weaned me off them not wanting to cause severe withdrawals? I had NO withdrawal from being taken off so I was not addicted. Also you don't just jerk them all away immeidately.

She did not even tell me that she was taking me off for that reason. She just wanted me to go to the pain clinic for evaluation and some of the things medicaid won't pay for was all she told me.

There must be some action I can take since I was not told any of this and she put this in my records. Now, no doctor will likely ever prescribe to me in this city again.

My disability attorney told me he was sure she hurt our case too by taking them away right before my hearing.

She told a blatant outright lie about me in my records. What would you do if you were me?
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That is absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't sound like that Dr. knows much about pain medication for chronic pain.
    She needs to be able to recognize the symptoms of addiction. It is ABOLUTELY normal for your body become dependent, as it can to many medications. Even then you may not (which you didn't, experience actual withdrawals if your body didn't become truly dependant on them)

Did you have cravings? Seek medication? Even then there is something called Pseudo Addiction, which people who are not properly treated may experience. They are basically begging for someone to help them get out of pain.

I can't tell you what to do, but that would make me so mad that I would certainly want that cleared up in my records. I would ask her what made her write that. What medical reason did she have?! I'd draft a letter.

Did you happen to go to that website I mentioned above? Go to the treatment, or pain management part (can't remember what it's called). Print that off. Send it to her. Let her know that you know a lot about this.

Go the National Pain Assocation site - it mentions the same thing. Less than 1% of people who take pain medication for chronic pain actually get "addicted".

YES, you're right, if she 'thought' you were addicted, I'd demand to know WHY she would yank them from you. Not very smart for a Dr. to do, actually pretty negligent if you ask me.