For All .... Invited To Read .... Important ....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elsa, Oct 24, 2005.

1. elsa

elsa New Member

*** Wrote this a while back and, by request, brought it out of storage. It is my understanding of this wonderful support group and of our moderators. Please keep in mind I wrote this months back ... not everything will be relavent to the moment, but the gist of it will always hold true.

Thanks,

Elsa

We have so many new and wonderful members that I thought I'd post something that isn't touched on much but is very important to know.

Pro Health is of course privately owned and is part of a supplement company. The owner is also a CFS/FM patient and most supplements are geared towards helping us. They also donate quite a bit to CFS/FM research that benefits us all.

The administrative offices run this board and make all decisions concerning it's use.

They are the individuals who made the guidelines for safe usage that we all agree to when we join. They also are the ones who make the decisions on whether a member gets banned from the site.

They monitor the board and can delete any post they feel does not follow the guidelines.

The moderators do not work for Pro Health. They do not make the decisions that they all-to-often get credited with.

They are members just like the rest of us and they unfortunately are just as sick, if not more so, then we are.

Some might want to duck out of this post at this point because I am about to offer an opinion .....

I am tired of reading the wholesale bashing of our Moderators as if they were the evil ones looking to ruin our day.

They just don't have the were-with-all so many have gotten into the habit of attributing to them.

It has become all to easy to snap and snipe at those mean Moderators if something goes down a member doesn't like concerning their posts.

It is not up to the Moderator(s) to run this board as if they own it. ... They don't ... They are volunteers mainly trying to keep a look out for "imposters" who are more interested in hurting us then anything else.

All other incidents are more the action of the administration then that of our Moderators. If anyone has a question or complaint or rant in the future, please direct them to the administrative office.

Ease up on the incorrect asumption that the Moderators are all of it where the business of maintaining this board is concerned.

I recently literally stumbled upon another CFS/FM site the other day. They sure had some sour things to say about what I consider to be the best support/information site available to me. Interestinly, with so many negative comments, not a one of them blamed our moderators for anything. In fact, showed quite alot of support for them.

If another competitive site (who seems to dislike Pro Health in general) can manage to support Pro Health's volunteer Moderators, do you suppose some of you here could also show that same support? It seems easy enough to me.

Thank ya'll for giving my post some attention. These Moderators of ours don't deserve some of what has been slung their way lately. I wanted to let everyone know just how much "power" they do not have and perhaps redirect some of the angst in the right direction.

Take care,

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2006]
  2. pastel

pastel New Member

adding my two-to-four cents worth here: I am grateful
    every day for the work and care the moderators show here.

It's beyond my functional capacity for sure and this board
    makes a tremendous difference to me. I'm not able to post
    often for the obvious reasons, but connect daily.

Bless you,

Love,
    Catherine
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

For the back up. I just felt it was worth making mention of.

Miss Rosie ... My post wasn't born out of anything I read recently on our board. I actually had thought to write something along the lines of my appreciation for our board and all it's supportive members after I came across that other site I mentioned.

The more I thought on it, the more I did not recall a post really listing what our Moderators truly do or don't do in the course of watching over us.

I decided it was a good opportunity to post something exactly along those lines.

Many people have written of their heartfelt thanks towards our Moderators, but I wanted to add alittle more concerning their "volunteer job description".

Every now and then I will see a grumbling type post aimed at our Moderators ... someone is disgruntled over a delete, etc. I wanted everyone to really understand what our Moderators have the "power" to do in relation to our posts and that they are not the ultimate decision makers.

As I understand it ... often they are not consulted on a given administrative action in regards to the board.

Their main job,(again as I understand it), is to keep a look out for potentially dangerous individuals that could find their way among us and who's main goal is to cause us some serious harm.

Chronically ill people are vulnerable. .. And we are sometimes a particularly easy target due to the lack of respect from family/employers and the very healthcare professionals whose job it is to help us.

Bad people are out there trolling for just such an easy target and our Moderators are our best defense agaist them.

Thanks again Stormy, Smiffy and Rosie for supporting my thoughts.

Take care,

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2005]
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

How funny that a competitive site would utilize their own message board to bash this one. Sounds like either bitter former Prohealth members have found a place to complain or the other site can only keep its members happy and on their site if they bash this one. Neither one sounds like a good strategy for long term success!!

I guess those people found a common enemy and instead of making one another feel better with support they do it by backing each other up with the negativity!!

I guess we should all thank Prohealth for not allowing this site to be the same negative breeding ground. So next time anyone complains about the rules, lead them towards the other site!!

JL

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2005]
  5. spmary

spmary New Member

Thanks elsa...This needed to be said. I agree completely.Mary
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

For reading this and agreeing it has a place on the board. JL, you may have a point ... or more like talking ugly about ProHealth while supporting each other's illnesses. There were definately some disgruntled individuals.

Miss Carlene ... I hope you have a speedy recovery from that long haul. I have made a similar drive from Rhode Island to Florida. It was tough to be sure ... and I wasn't moving my home! I want to thank you personally for working to make ProHealth a safe board to come to ... and a polite one!

Mary, thanks for thinking it was a good idea to post a reminder of our Moderators' true roll on the board.

I hope all are having a good day.

Elsa

7. katbird7

katbird7 New Member

Thanks for the post Elsa, and also to all the moderators for all your volunteer work. The post helped me to understand more since I am fairly new to the site. I haven't read anything negative towards anyone. Everything I have read has been very helpful in dealing with my disease and finding out what is out there that helps others. I hope to be a help to others also. Thanks again to all! Blessings and love, Kat7
  8. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Well I have been on this site for a bit of time now and can honestly say that I have not witnessed an abundance of moderator bashing but this does not meam that it does not exist.Probably does and I am just oblivious to it.We do not need to sit and try to manufacture feelings of love for the moderators if they do not genuinely exist,but I do blush with pleasure knowing they are on the job and do have warm hearted admiration for there efforts.
    Not to mention I am sure they exhibit a good deal of restraint and tolerance when certain principles are crossed.Also I loved the point you brought up pertaining to them almost in the role as board cops to protect many of the people on this board who are in a vulnerable state due to there diminished capacities and to be raw honest the wolves in sheeps clothing who at times due to greed and self-conceit who are angling to take advantage of them.This is an excellent point you made.
    On a more personal note I have seen in the past that you mentioned you are an X pro athlete.I to was very athletic and quite accomplished competitively making it to the semi finals of the national championship in tennis.
    This wasn't all that long ago,but cfids submarined the harmony I had between my body and my brain.But I vasilate back and forth that it is such a terrible thing that cfids has smuggled itself into the very center of our lives knowing that it has birthed a humility and focus toward God inspite of being wounded.I hope none of this comes across as insincere or trite.I wish you health in mind,body and spirit.God bless.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Thanks for taking the time to write about a subject that we all should be giving some attention to.

Not only are our Moderators underappreciated, I think we all take this site that Pro Health has so graciously provided for us, for granted.

This board is THE BEST ON THE WEB and we should never forget that.

In order that this site be available for us, I think we all should become "unofficial" moderators to a point--I mean, we should speak up when we see that a post has violated the rules and regulations and tell that poster so. When we see a post is getting heated, don't interject fuel to the fire, but rather remind everyone that things are getting too heated and it's time to back off some.

I, for one, appreciate this forum, the information that I have learned here, and the friends that I have made by being a member of this board.

Thanks, Pro Health, for providing us the avenue to educate ourselves more about FMS and CFS.

Sincerely,
    jlh
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I think that it is important to remember that not just moderators and administrators delete posts. Members can, and do, delete their own posts.

I haven't read the posts bashing the moderators - I try to skip 'not helpful' posts. I think that they are better people than I to continue their volunteer positions in the face of such thanklessness. I am glad, for the sake of the rest of us, that they are able to keep focused on the bigger picture.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am happy to see these wonderful posts about our moderators. I could not have expressed it better myself.

I can't help but think, each time I see someone who somehow winds up "banned", how very unfortunate. Could anything be so important to argue about, to risk losing the "privilege" to come here.

This site literally saved my life. From the information and support I got after coming here, I was able to change my life and get back on the track to health.

Nothing is more important to me, and nothing is worth risking losing my connection here.
  12. elsa

elsa New Member

Thanks all for responding to my post. I didn't feel there was a open season on Moderator Bashing .... just some misplaced frustration from time to time.

As long as I have been here, I don't recall reading a post that explains what the Moderators can and cannot do. More importantly, what role ProHealth Administration has in making board decisions.

It never hurts to remind members that the Moderator's position is done on a volunteer basis and that they too have CFS/FM. Tough job .... I'm not sure I have it in me to do it.

I hope all are having a good day ...Take Care,

Elsa

13. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Excellent post! I haven't been on much lately as I had to take a step back for awhile and regroup, so I missed the moderator-bashing posts. This is by far, the best board out there for FMS/CSF. The information from participants here astounds me! It is so far ahead of any other site for FMS/CSF that I have visited!

Also, I would like to add that people who are banned are not just banned for a first offense, as some newbies may not know. They are warned first with an email and if they continue to post objectionably, then they can be banned. It is always distressing to see a member who may be well-liked all of a sudden be banned, but people must realize that the person has been warned before but chose to continue on the same path of posting.

I have said before that I think you are the voice of reason on this board. I appreciate your post and hope you are doing okay.

Take care, Sally
  14. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Elsa, I agree completely with everything you wrote. I have read a lot of threads bashing our moderators. Personally I have never bashed the moderators and I do think they do a great job.

((((thank You))))) to our wonderful moderators

hugs
    brit
  15. elsa

elsa New Member

Thanks guys ... It's nice when you make a board reminder to have other members agree and support you. It really is all about what we can do as a community together.

I too would not be where I am in my remission goal without this board. I don't even want to think about where I would be without the ProHealth members.

Kalaya ... Wonderful thoughts. I actually started a post to you about what life might be for an athlete dealing with CFS/FM this morning before I left for work. Ran out of time, but left my screen up so I could finish tonight.

Well ... Guess What?!? ... Eventually (after a few hours, LOL ) you'll get logged off due to inactivity.

I forgot about that ... picked up where I left off on my post to you ... hit the reply button and went straight to the "log-in" page. OOOPS !! Sorry ... Afraid the post is floating around somewhere other then where it should be.

I'll try to send another one tomorrow if this one doesn't show up!

Matthewson ... So good to here from you!! I miss seeing your posts/thoughts/information. I understand about taking a break as we all need to from time to time.

How have you been? I hope you're having some pain free days and enjoying life. I know how much you like your work ... medical lab work right? I hope it is going great for you.

Thank you for the kind words. I love support from members ... certainly from members I hold in high regard. I look forward to hearing how you are getting on.

Oh ... good reminder on what actually happens when someone gets banned. They do indeed receive warnings ... usually more then once unless it is something very bad and blatent.

I saw someone put it this way ... It is disappointing that "so in so" is no longer a member here, but it was their choice ... their decision.

Brit_ ... Thank you for joining in. I have been to many sites, am a member on two others and I have never responded or posted anywhere but here. I'm comfortable here. Other sites are always good for a chance to learn something new ... but ProHealth is home.

Sounds hokie, I know ... I've heard all the stories how we are so touchy-feely ... Don't care. I want compassion, support and for people to play well with others. I seek out this board because we purposely stay away from hot topic issues ... I need breaks from those issues in my life. I can find it here.

Carlene ... Hang tough ... I'll keep you in my thoughts. If possible, try to spoil yourself for a while. Hope you beat that flare soon.

Take care all,

Elsa

PS ... Hey Kalaya ... Just saw that the "maybe it made it, maybe it didn't" post to you actually did make it onto the board (even after I had to log in first)! Cool ... hated to try and remember all the great things I said!! LOL

E.

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2005]
  16. windblade

windblade Active Member

What a wonderful post! You explained everything so clearly
    and factually.

I hate it also when people are attacking and blaming our
    moderators!!!

I think if some bitterness or anger at our moderators comes
    up again, we should bring up this post to bring back a
    sense of balance, and get rid of the poisons.

Carlene, I'm so amazed at what you've done recently! I
    can't even travel more than a half hour.
    I'm sending you a prayer of blessing for your new home.
    May it be a happy and healing place.
    I hope that you can just rest a lot even in the midst of
    the chaos of trying to settle in.
    I'll be lifting up prayers for you to find a new, good Dr.

Sharon, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers also for
    being our protector - this is the way I see our moderators!

I'm so happy to see all this love and support and healing
    of an ugly situation.

God bless you all. ( or should I say y'all, Elsa) :)
  17. elsa

elsa New Member

Coming out of "dry dock" by request ....

Thanks,

E.
  18. windblade

windblade Active Member

Thank you so much for bringing this post back! It expresses the very best of our community, what it's been,
    and those values that keep us supportive and truly caring for each other!

Blessings to all,
    Judy
  19. thank you pro health...i love this site.im honoured to be a member of it.and in my opinion pro health is still by far the best site on the internet.and let me add its members are one, massive, friendly, internet family ((( hugs to all )))

kind regards
    fran xx