For all those on antivirals

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bioman85, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Glad to see many people are trying different anti-virals to possibly help them. I just have a quick question. Did most of you who are trying the anti-virals have a flu-like onset and flu-like symptoms along with your CFS fatigue?

The reason I ask this is because I only had mild flu-like symptoms for years prior to my CFS onset, but there was no flu-like illness which triggered my fatigue. It seems like most who are being helped by anti-virals had an obvious flu-like onset and flu-like symptoms.

Please let me know if I am off-base or not!!!!

Thanks and good luck to all,
    Chris
  2. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Thanks for your info. It's difficult to get a grasp based on the anecdotal nature of the reports.

I did not have a flu-like illness onset at all. Nothing close -except for the usual mild flu-like symptoms I had been feeling for years prior. My blood tests only showed high CMV titers - no other viral antibodies.

Good luck to you and everyone,
    Chris
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Chris,

Dr. Montoya seems to mostly be testing Valcyte on people with a viral onset, I think because it's more clear that those folks have a viral component to their illnesses.

I'm not sure whether that means that other people with classic CFS symptoms wouldn't benefit from antivirals though. I've not gotten a clear sense of this from the board, in part because a lot of people do not fill out their health histories on their bios very thoroughly.

I did have a viral onset and have been responding strongly to antivirals. That does not mean that people without a viral onset would not respond.

CMV is, to my knowledge, a serious virus. If your levels are high, it's conceivable that trying an antiviral in the hopes of eradicating that might be useful. (Some transfer factor--like the Transfer Factor C sold on this board--targets CMV too.)

HHV6 supposedly "hides" in the body for some people. Therefore, negative results do not necessarily mean that you don't have it.

Hopefully this will become clearer soon. Knowledge is growing quickly now, but it's still in early stages.

Best, Lisa
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Chris,

Yes, you're right about me. My CFS began with a serious mono-like viral illness. I'm taking Virastop (an anti-viral enzyme product) and have been getting a strong reaction to it.

Hey, if you are interested in trying anti-virals, you could try some Virastop first and see if it does anything for/to you. I would recommend starting carefully in case it does.

Forebearance

5. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

I have been trying to read all the posts about you and virastop, but the site layout makes it a real pain in the arse to do so.

I might try it out. So you actually didn't get viral symptoms during your CFS until you started taking the ViraStop?

-chris
  6. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Chris!

All my threads about Virastop are called "Continuing the Experiment with Anti Viral Enzymes" and then a number. Except the first one, which was something like "Experimenting with Anti Viral Enzymes".

There are two ways you can find them. You can do a search, in the box at the top, or you can click on my name, go to my profile, and see a list of all the posts I've made. I hope that helps.

Well, I've had viral symptoms for the whole time I've had CFS (17 years). But I've gradually gotten well over the years, so I no longer have things like a fever, swollen lymph nodes, severe muscle aches, grogginess, fuzzy head, sore throat.

When I had been taking Virastop for about a month, it brought out a fever, sore throat, and symptoms of a really bad cold. Interestingly, Lisa P. had the same thing happen to her after she had been taking Famvir for a while.

It seemed to me like I was getting rid of a virus of some kind that had been lurking in me. I was miserable for a while there! But it passed.

I think that it would be safe to experiment a bit with the Virastop, because I don't think it would hurt a person. And viruses can't become immune to it, because it digests protein, which they are made of. They can't stop being made of protein.

It's made by Enzymedica, and they have a website. I tried other kinds of enzymes, but none of them gave me the reaction that this stuff did.

Best wishes!
    Forebearance
  7. bioman85

bioman85 New Member

Thanks. I ordered ViraStop last night and will give it a try. The only immune system test that was abnormal was my extremely low NK cell activity level. I doubt anti-virals is the cure-all in my case, unless the constant flu-like symptoms I had growing up was one virus that finally brought down my immune system and that was the trigger of my CFS.

Who knows really, but it's worth a try to see if I get any reaction from it.

Thanks for the info, and good luck,
    Chris