For all who eat healthy, HOW do you do it?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I had just posted earlier this week about not being able to exercise and my weight has been up since taking meds a long time ago.

Many have posted about eating higher protein and low carb. I had forgot to mention that about a year ago, I did just that. For breakfast I had plain yogurt with berries, for lunch a salad with lots of veggies, meat, and olive oil and lemon juice for a dressing. For dinner, a small piece of meat with a side of veggies, THAT'S IT. Snack, an apple.

Within three weeks, I lost about 8 pounds without exercise, BUT, I was miserable. My food choices were bland, boring and just plain not appetizing. I did this just to see if I could, and I guess I could but I was unhappy and miserable.

I longed for sugar which I strictly cut out. I couldn't wait to make a casserole, but felt guilty if I even entertained the thought.

I thought about food all the time and wondered if I maybe had developed some kind of eating disorder. Now, I do have to admit that my pain level and cognitive function was better eating this way, but I just couldn't imagine doing this all the time, which I obvioulsy didn't, so I know it's my own fault. The sugar craving never went away during the three weeks, I just tried to remain strong.

This is also interesting, Dr. Jacob Titelbaum has said that for FM patients, weight gain is very common not just because of the meds we are put on, but we have a slower metabolism, and chronic pain, which can set us up for weight gain.

Also, thyroid problems ( I had mine checked, T3 and T4 were normal) and hypoglycemic symptoms were also common.

My problem is learning to eat healthy foods that I will actually LIKE. Has not happened and I'm sorry I'm sounding childish, but it's the truth. The only vegetable I really like is cucumbers, and a mixed salad, and the only fruit I really like are cherries in the summertime. This obviously limits my diet, LOL.

Unfortunately, when my chronic pain is worse, my emotions take over and I want a slice of pizza, not broccoli, LOL.

Fruits I can tolerate, but all the other vegetables are unsatisfying. So, again my question is do you just simply tolerate eating well for your health, or do you really enjoy eating these foods? If you enjoy them, that is great, wish I could. Hugs to you, Chelz.
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

1st off my husband has been out of work for 2 months so we
    spent 180.00 in groceries for supplies and food for the month.
    We are down to nothing but beans and rice and theirs 3 of us.
    So for me it's very easy . But scary too.
    The more protein you eat the less you'll crave sugary foods.
    Eat more oranges,papaya,mangoes, bananas. My sister says that bananas help with pain but I'm not sure how true that is .
    Try different foods all the time . That is the healthy ones.

3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I was one who posted on your other thread...

As for your 'diet' a year ago? That's not enough food...anyone would be craving things trying to eat like that. That's also why I like eating every two hours, I'm never ever hungry.

I have pizza, I just prefer mine with lots of meats and veggies on top. Try making your own using fresh ingredients. Then you control what goes on top, have I mentioned I love a ton of cheese on mine? But I'm full after a small slice or two because I've just eaten fruit 2 hours before.

As for bananas being good for pain? It's probably from the potassium..

My daughter just started eating my way a few days ago and we've already cut out 1200 calories a meal (breakfast) by changing hers to a bowl of cereal or oatmeal plus 2 apples with cinnamon sprinkled on top. There's no way she's not going to lose weight eating this way.

4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I started eating healthier by eating the Shake in the morning. This really cut down my sugar cravings and started me out in a healthy way every day. I used to eat cereal every morning, and by mid-morning, I was starving. This Shake carries me through until lunch time.

It also helps with sleep, digestion and depression.

I actually make an entire blender full. I eat half of it in the morning, ¼ of it at lunch time along with my regular lunch, and the last ¼ when I get home from work. Eating that last portion when I get home from work keeps me from reaching for an oreo or something else not so healthy before dinner.

Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it goes very quickly. It takes me 10 minutes to make each morning, and that includes clean up time. You do need to have a blender to make it.

The Shake

1 apple, cored w/peel on, cut into pieces (I like Gala apples)
    ½ banana, cut into pieces
    1 T. molasses (I use Grandma’s)
    BLEND until smooth
    frozen fruit (I use strawberries, cherries, pineapple, blueberries)
    BLEND until smooth, adding more water if needed
    2 T ground flax seed
    1 T whey protein powder
    BLEND until everything is mixed together

Eat 5 or 6 almonds while making this shake.

Experiment with the amount of water and fruit. If your shake is too thick, add more water. If it is too thin, add a couple more pieces of fruit.

The frozen fruit substitutes for using ice and keeps it nice and cold. You can also use fresh fruit if you have it on hand.

Use any fruit or fruit combination that YOU like. I occasionally use peaches and mangos. Yum. I personally don’t really like raspberries or blackberries because of all the little seeds.

Oh, and you must drink this through a straw. That part is crucial. lol. I really do use a straw every time. Once I tried just drinking it straight from the glass, and it just wasn’t the same. Go figure!

Try it! You’ll like it!

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2008]
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I really don't know but I do know when I restrict carbs and try the so called healthy eating , my anxiety and depression is so much WORSE.
    Why, I don't have a clue.

My last doctor's visit he wanted me to stop all sugar, eat three meals a day, mostly protein. I was a basket case. Raw veggies and fruits hurt my stomach and I have to mix some carbs with protein. After a month on this , I did lose weight but was so sick. I got to the point all I could eat was applesauce and ginger ale.

That is when I said no more. So for me healthy eating is not to over eat.
    and not to induldge in a lot of fast food. So I started eating mainly what I wanted but do not eat desserts, very little bread, no soda drinks except an occassionaly ginger ale.

When I eat Pizza I eat the topping, If I go thru the fast food line, I eat 1/2 of it and throw one slice of bread away. Have to have a casserole I eat just a small portion.

Since I have started this I am sleeping better and my anxiety /depression is better not like I would like to be , but not like it was when I was trying to eat healthy. Guess what I am trying to say is eating healthy for me is cutting back.

I am suppose to go back to the doctor in a week so we shall see what he has to say.

I try walk about 10 minutes 3 times a day if I can, when I can't, I don't worry about it like I once did.

Yes, I am still fat but don't expect to lose this weight overnight and if the cutting back doesn't work then guess I will always be fat.

I try to eat a little of the foods I enjoy and make sure my carbs, protein and fats balance, not always but try. I use olive oil, bake instead of fry.

Oh, potatoes is my comfort food and I am not giving them up and when we hurt we need comfort.

Sorry, this is so long, just sharing my experience. Good luck to you, I sure can relate.

6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

For the past 1 1/2 years I have cut sugar cane and corn syrup out of my diet. Those 2 ingredients really increase my pain, stiffness, soreness, itchiness and brain fog.

I found out through delayed food allergy testing (sensitivities) that I have 22 food sensitivities.

I did a 5 month long elimination diet last year to find out what symptoms each food caused. Those 2 foods were the worst offenders. I improved 50-70% last year because of it. I had a setback in Feb 2008 so I am now doing the elimination of all 22 foods again.

My advice to you....if you can cut out everything that contains sugar cane and corn syrup you will find that you will have to eat healthier because that eliminates alot of processed foods. You must read every label and look for words like dextrose, cane juice, evaporated cane juice, etc which all mean sugar cane. Avoid all corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup.

That includes all condiments all labels.

In addition, if you can go gluten free that will help alot too. If that is too much for you to try now, than I really recommend just avoiding all sugar cane and corn syrup.

You can still add a little honey, agave nectar, etc to food if you must.

I had the biggest sugar craving before I started all this. My weakness was chocolate, especially M&M's. The craving did disappear but it took longer than 3 weeks.

It is worth feeling better to improve your diet. Go to a large grocery store if you can and look for fresh fruits and veggies that maybe you have not tried before. There are many varieties.

The internet is full of recipes that you can adapt using honey etc instead of sugar or corn syrup.

It is usually the foods that we crave the most that are causing us the most problems, ie: pain etc.

I eat alot of rice and potatoes and quinoa since I'm avoiding gluten again.

When I feel the need to eat something sweet or salty I stick with things like raisins (no sugar), and potato chips made with only potatoes, salt and either canola oil or safflower oil. I have a sensitivity to cottonseed oil and peanuts. It also helps when I eat a nice sweet piece of fruit such as a peach, strawberries or apple. I also do eat alot of veggies.

It sounds like your prior attempt was causing so much deprivation that it was bound to fail.

Try avoiding sugar cane and corn syrup for several weeks and see how you feel. It still leaves alot of things that you can eat.

Someone asked me what in the world I can eat if I am avoiding 22 foods (including gluten, sugar cane, corn(syrup), beef, pineapple, etc). My answer: "EVERYTHING ELSE"!

Good luck!
  7. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Chelz - You might want to consider checking out your local library and getting some low-carb cookbooks to give you ideas. The South Beach diet is reportedly very good. Also, check out the internet for recipe ideas.

The diet you went on a year ago sounds very limited, and I too, would have gone off of that very quickly. You didn't give yourself enough selection of different foods. The cookbooks will give you ideas for a variety of menus and should make eating much more exciting.

Considering the great results you achieved on the low-carb diet, is it worth the pain and brain-fog to have your sugar-fix?? :)
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My problem is that I hate cooking and barely have the energy to get to the grocery store most of the time. I tend to get things that are easy to prepare, I just don't have it in me to cook much of anything...and then clean up the mess!

I love healthy food, natural stuff, veggies, fruits, etc...I just need someone to prepare it for me. I know I would eat much better if I could cook and enjoyed it.

I was on a yeast/sugar free diet for a few months and I did notice I finally stopped craving sweets as much. I am a chocoholic, but I was much more controlled if I stayed away from sugars. Also, hypoglycemic episodes were fewer since I ate more protein, and less starch and sugar.

If I could afford a chef....that's the only way I'd be able to have great, healthy meals all the time! Oh well, I do the best I can...some days are better than others.
  9. SerenityPheonix

SerenityPheonix New Member

I had to learn new way of eating due to the diabetes diagnosis.

I lost 40+ pounds in the first 6 or 7 weeks, which was fast yes...but still it did happen.

My main thing was cuttiing sugars such as kool aid, sodas and sweet snacks like cake or cookies and chips. There are many sugar free candies too, they are so satisfying you dont even feel the need to overdo with them. I find mine at walgreens or rite aid.

There are many recipes you can find on the diabetes sites that are absolutely delicious, even sweets like cake and cookies. Not to mention different ways to cook meats and or pastas.

The diet is what is called the 'plate method'. You put one quarter meat, one quarter starch(potatoes, rice, pasta), and the remaining half of the plate should be vegetables(green).

I also had to learn to break my meal portions up into five or six smaller meals a day. This keeps the metabolism going strong all day instead of your body going into starvation mode where it will store fats. I hated eating so often, but its been good results for weight loss as well as diabetes control.

These diabetes sites(webmd is a good one) also will suggest the best kinds of snacking...that taste good.

I hope this has been some help and best to you on your continued weight loss.

10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I like those veggies in the microwave bags. If I'm craving more flavor I grate some fresh cheese and sprinkle that on top of them. We just bought some Gruyere cheese from a cheese shop which is expensive but I only use a little and it freezes well and it's sooo good on top of broccoli and cauliflower. It also makes a great Au Gratin for veggies.

I Google for recipes to use up leftover food. I type in " Healthy recipes for celery" for instance and then I read several recipes and then I usually modify the one that appeals to me the most.

I just keep trying all kinds of foods that are healthy and finding the ones I like. The other trick is to not buy junk food then it's not there when you're craving it. I allow myself a little bit of French Vanilla ice-cream from Breyers which is all natural or a cookie from the health food store once in awhile.

I do keep a stock of Odwalla Bars next to my bed as i have found those to be the best for my body for something I can grab and eat when I can't get up.