FOR ALL WITH BLEACH SENSITIVITY AN ALTERNATIVE...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjfms, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    You all may already know this but my mother always used white vinegar instead of bleach for her whites in the laundry.

    I have recently and finally gave up the battle with bleach (and had forgotten about the white vinegar) to hard on my skin and nose, it always has been but I really like white clothes...

    I suddenly remembered the other day and WOW you would not believe how white my whites really are and it being kinder to the septic system which in turn is kinder to the environment -- YAHOO!!

    and my skin too.

    I just pour it in the liquid bleach thingy in the washer same amount :)

    I do not consider this off topic because it concerns our health -- right?

    Just thought I would share,

    Karen :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2007]
  2. musikmaker

    musikmaker New Member

    I have the same problem with bleach. What about the vinegar smell? It doesn't stay in your clothes at all? Thanks
  3. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    it does not stay in :)

    Try it works :)
  4. JewelRA

    JewelRA New Member

    Also, regular borax can be used as a laundry booster. I have just started having this problem with bleach this past year. Bleh!!
  5. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    Thank you both for reading. For the record hot water and soap will kill fecal bacteria -- we don't need antibacterial bath soap on our bodies for this reason...IMHO

    As for white vinegar it does kill bacteria, germs (viruses), and mold -- vinegar is powerful antibacterial.

    The CBS news show 48 Hours did a special last December with Heloise (the helpful hint lady) reporting on tests from The Good Housekeeping Institute that showed this.

    The smell of vinegar (when used straight) dissipates within a few hours. When you use it on surfaces.

    I have used a diluted mixture (vinegar & water) in a bottle for wipe downs in the kitchen and bath rooms and it dissipates in no time at all.

    I just forgot about the laundry thing and wanted to share and hope it will help someone :)

    In the laundry you do not even notice that you have used it.

    Oh BWT I have nothing against Borax I think it is great :) I used to use Ammonia all of the time too.

    I cannot handle it [ammonia] anymore.

    Glad it works for you Mike :) Jewel I hope you have good luck with this :)

    Take care all,

    Karen :)
  6. kirschbaum26

    kirschbaum26 New Member

    Dear Karen:

    I have bad reactions to anything with vinegar in it. My mom used to clean out the coffee maker with vinegar and I would have an asthma attack. If I come in contact with vinegar of any kind, I get huge welts at the point of contact...not exactly hives, but more like contact dermatitis.

    I cannot tolerate most sauces and salad dressing because of the vinegar. It is strange, as I use bleach all the time...as I find that it is easier on my system. I do not use a lot, but find that it helps with the itchies that I sometimes get. I cannot tolerate most clothes detergents and after years of using dreft, found that I can tolerate anything that claims to be free and clear...as long as it is liquid. Powder makes me break out everywhere.

    Just thought I would let you know that you can be sensitive to vinegar as well as other chemicals.

    Ingrid

  7. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    Karen:

    A while back one of the girls suggested a tablespoon or so of apple wine vinegar: a small amount daily. To drink.

    It is amazing what these home recepies can do. I notice a difference when I use the vinegar for ingestion.

    My body feels better.

    It is amazing what home remedies can do.

    nyrofan
  8. Kombucha

    Kombucha New Member

    Oxy clean Stain Remover Free.

    I am Chemically sensitive and I can use this with no problem. It is in a bucket in the laundry dept. Although I shopped around to find a store that had more then a few rows of it and a bit off from the laundry detergent because I can be so sensitive I can be bothered by laundry smells the packaging absorbs. I also put it out to air before I bring it in.

    I LOVE fragrance free dye free ALL. It purifies clothes better than TIDE free. I didn't know how much better until I bought the ALL. I alsways used Tide.

    An AMAZING product is Charlies Soap. Google to find. It is very cheap and really works. But when I ran out of that I bought ALL and since husband would only use tide and never the Charlies soap, now we all use ALL.

    Linda
  9. kjfms

    kjfms Member

    Hi Ingrid -- Thank you of course I am aware that everyone is different and everyone is sensitive to different things.

    I was not suggesting otherwise.

    This was just a for anyone interested in an alternative to bleach. You have no problem with bleach and that is great for you but a lot of us do have a problem with bleach and that is why I posted this.

    I am glad you have something that works for you.

    Obviously if you have problems with vinegar do not use it.

    Take care,

    Karen :)


    Hi Nyrofan -- I have read some of the uses of internal of apple-cider vinegar on here but haven't tried any.

    I will look into the apple wine vinegar sounds interesting -- thanks.

    Yeah it is interesting -- I find myself reverting more and more to things my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother did and they work.

    Take care,

    Karen :)




    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2007]