For all you microbe hunters! Address Candida first!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by advancewithcourage, Dec 9, 2003.

1. advancewithcourage

advancewithcourage New Member

Hello friends,
    I was talking with Mark Konlee today - wrote, How to Reverse Immune Dysfunction. He mentioned to me that any efforts to overcome chronic viral or mycoplasma infections will likely fail if Candida is present and goes unaddressed.

He said that a good plant based (form mustard greens) selenium supplement 800mg daily is key in overcoming Candidiasis. On some occasions, this could be all that is necessary.

Apparently chronic candida is such a powerful immunosuppressive organism.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

candida is an issue that needs to be addressed, but I've never heard of selenium being the key before; but I haven't seen his book yet either.

Thanks, AWC,
    Victoria
  3. sandy10seven

sandy10seven New Member

Selenium: Anticancer Antioxident

The late author and complimentary physician Robert C Atkins, MD, stated there is good evidence that selenium-deficient soils lead to premature aging, and in his best selling book "Vita-nutrient Solution… Natures Answer to Drugs." Atkins shows a compelling case for selenium - rating it as one of our most potent protector nutrients in the battle against free radical cell damage. He also has this to say about selenium:

"A substance that can cut cancer occurrences by almost 40% and decrease the cancer death rate by 50% should be heralded as our greatest medical breakthrough, and dispensed to every person in the world. As 1996 came to a close, we learned that selenium supplementation, had in fact achieved these earth shattering results"

Dr. Atkins was referring to research findings from a study on cancer and selenium, published in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association, Dec, 25th 1996, 276(24)

OTHER RESEARCH HAS FOUND THAT WITHOUT THE PROTECTION THAT OPTIMUM AMOUNTS OF SELENIUM PROVIDES, OUR DEFENSES ARE SEVELELY COMPROMISED, LEAVING US OPEN TO CONDITIONS SUCH AS HEART DISEASE, HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, AND OTHER OXIDATION-RELATED AFFLICTIONS. ALSO, OUR IMMUNE DEFENSES ARE LEFT VULNERABLE TO INVADING PATHOGENS SUCH AS BACTERIA, VIRUSES AND OTHER MICROBES.

Some studies suggest taking supplemental selenium as a precautionary measure, may prevent the herpes and hepatitis viruses from getting a hold - it may even offer protection from the deadly Ebola virus!

Low selenium may be an important factor for smokers too - a study published Nov.1998 in the American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 148, pp. 975-82, clearly showed low intake of selenium (especially when combined with low vitamin E intake), increased risk factors for lung cancer.

Other studies show that when the practice of fluoridating drinking water is combined with low selenium in the soil, there are higher incidences of skeletal fluorosis, bone fractures and osteoporosis, in the elderly and others at risk. Thus the authors conclude selenium tends to protect the skeleton from the harmful effects of fluoride - Fluoride, Vol 29, 2 May 1996, p62

Humans require adequate amounts of selenium to stay healthy. Doses of up to 400mcg a day of selenium have been found to be safe, and it is highly probable that supplementing with 200mcg a day will help us stay well. Despite all the 'wonders' of so called "modern medicine" statistics tell us we are not winning the war when it comes to the chronic health conditions so prevalent in western society. Many experts share the view that mineral depletion (amongst other things) plays a large part in the increasing rates of debilitating chronic illness.

Over farming and inorganic fertilizers are responsible for worldwide soil mineral depletion, and this means that many of us are not getting anywhere near the amounts of selenium (amongst other nutrients) required for good health. In New Zealand and parts of Australia and the United States, soils are so low in selenium that many of us are at risk of serious selenium deficiency, with the associated health problems. Therefore supplementing with selenium is vital if we are maintain or elevate our health, let alone stave off killer conditions like cancer and heart disease as we age - statistics show these conditions steadily increasing worldwide.

Several years ago the results of a large double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study of selenium supplementation was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The multi-year study showed that people given 200 micrograms of supplemental selenium daily had only half the death rate from cancer as people who were given a placebo instead of selenium. No harmful side effects were observed.

Has your doctor told you about this study or recommended that you take supplemental selenium to reduce your risk of cancer? We doubt it. He or she may well be unaware of this study; or, if aware, has dismissed it because it involved a simple, readily-available nutrient rather than a new wonder drug. But, if any pharmaceutical drug were available which cut the cancer death rate in half with no harmful side effects -- and none currently is -- you would see ads for it plastered on TV and magazines and your doctor would readily prescribe it for you.

If you want to reduce your risk of cancer with selenium you're probably not going to get the information you need from your doctor. Perhaps your doctor or a friend may tell you that selenium is toxic. It is in large doses, but it is quite safe in the 200 microgram dosage used in the JAMA study which, as noted above, found no harmful side effects. Cancer is a disease that we all dread, but now you have the power to significantly reduce your risk.

Selenium is a potent antioxidant, which binds with unstable molecules in our cells, preventing them researchers believe, from damaging cells and thus potentially causing cancer.

Selenium may help protect some women from developing breast cancer, research has suggested. The element helps the body defend itself. Scientists from the University of Illinois believe they may have worked out how selenium interacts with a natural body chemical to offer protection.

Studies have suggested that it can reduce the likelihood of other types of cancer, and some have linked it to a lowered chance of heart disease.

The latest study looked at tissue samples from more than 500 women who did not have breast cancer, and compared their genetic makeup with those in 79 breast cancer tissue samples. The scientists were looking for genes which are responsible for the production of an enzyme which the team believe has cancer-fighting properties. They found that different versions of these genes were more common in the breast cancer tissue samples.

Genetic fingerprint

Their conclusion was that certain women - with a certain genetic makeup - might benefit from extra selenium in their diet to make sure their "cancer-fighting" enzyme worked properly. Professor Alan Diamond said: "For over 20 years, animal studies have shown that tiny amounts of selenium in the diet can suppress cancer in several types of organs. The animal data is very strong, but human data is just emerging. We believe there are certain proteins in mammalian cells that contain selenium that can mediate the protective effects, but proving that is difficult.

Studies show that a sufficient selenium intake may lower the risk of prostate, breast, colorectal and lung cancers. Now a recent study from Indiana University Cancer Center and Indiana University School of Medicine has explored the theory that selenium activates an important tumor-suppressing gene called p53. Scientists estimate that the p53 gene is mutated in as much as 70% of all cancers. In experiments performed on human lung cancer cells, the Indiana researchers used selenomethionine, the major component of selenium, to treat cells that contained p53 genes, and other cells that were deficient in p53. Results showed conclusively that selenomethionine not only activated the p53 protein, but also protected cells containing p53. Based on these findings, the researchers speculate that selenium therapy may act as a cancer preventive by enhancing the vitality of p53 genes. When the p53 genes function properly, cells are more likely to repair the DNA damage that may promote cancer.

In addition to its excellent cancer fighting abilities, many studies also show that selenium's antioxidant properties may also fight autoimmune disorders and help increase insulin efficiency. Other research has concluded that selenium may be able to stop viruses from mutating and becoming more potent. Clearly, the importance of selenium in our diets can't be overstated.

Plant foods are the major dietary sources of selenium, but the amount of selenium in any plant depends on the selenium content of the soil it's grown in. So while garlic tends to contain good amounts of this mineral, the amounts vary depending on the soil the garlic is grown in. Dr. Martin L. Smith, the author of the Indiana study, noted that the average diet probably falls short of 50 mcg per day. Furthermore, Dr. Smith believes that in order to reap the cancer preventive qualities of selenium, intake needs to be around 200 mcg per day.

Men with the lowest levels of selenium have a higher risk of developing prostate cancer than those with more significant amounts of the mineral. Larry C. Clark, MPH, PhD, of the University of Arizona, and James Brooks, MD, of Stanford University both reported on the use of selenium as a cancer deterrent.

Dr. Brooks, assistant professor of urology and associate chief of urologic oncology at Stanford, investigated pre-diagnostic serum selenium levels to determine if they correlated with the risk of cancer development. He and colleagues concluded that serum selenium levels decreased with age, and that the observed risk of prostate cancer was lower in men with serum selenium levels above the lowest quartile.

"This was a study by colleagues from Stanford, Johns Hopkins University, and the National Institute of Aging of a group of men in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging who have been followed with serial rectal examinations and serum PSA determinations on archived serum samples since the inception of the study in the late 1950s." Fifty-two patients developed prostate cancer. Because blood samples from several years before diagnosis were available, he said, investigators were able to measure the selenium levels in patients' blood an average of 3 to 4 years prior to diagnosis.

"We compared that data with a group of age-matched controls who we know did not develop prostate cancer, and who we know continue to have no signs of prostate cancer because they've been screened effectively with PSA and DREs," he said.

The comparison suggested that men with the lowest values of selenium are at a two-fold higher risk for developing prostate cancer.
    "So having a low serum selenium level confers a higher risk of getting prostate cancer," said Dr. Brooks.

Dr. Brooks noted results similar to those of Dr. Clark in his initial study with skin cancer patients. Ultimately, they concluded that plasma levels of 1,25-D and melatonin did not explain prostate cancer incidence, but that selenium may partly protect against prostate carcinogenesis by raising plasma levels of 25- D.

"What this suggests is that there's an association, possibly biologic, between selenium and 25-D levels, with selenium raising 25-D levels," said Dr. Clark. "In our previous study, we observed a 67% reduction in prostate cancer incidence with a 200 mcg supplement of selenium. This involved a 10-year time period.

Selenium is also essential for healthy immune functioning. As a result, selenium supplementation has reduced the incidence of hepatitis in deficient populations. Even in a non-deficient population of elderly people, selenium supplementation has been found to stimulate the activity of white blood cells —primary components of the immune system. Selenium is also needed to activate thyroid hormones.
  4. advancewithcourage

Thankyou. This article is excellent.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

for getting that info for us... didn't realize selenium did all that with the immune system.

I'd read about the heart attack/disease connections, and it now makes even more sense because I've also read where there's some growing proof that at least some if not all heart disease/attacks can be due to bacterial or viral infections.

Thanks!
    Victoria
  6. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I am familiar with Mark Konlee..........he has a great website with lots of info you wouldn't find anywhere else. He also has CFS. I agree that a lot of people with poor immune function probably have candida problems..........I'm just always weary about taking a high dose of one mineral or vitamin over a long period of time. I'm not sure how long he recommends taking it but a dose this high can cause an imbalance.

Tammy
  7. advancewithcourage

He did stress that it must be plant based selenium from mustard greens and no other supplement in that high a dose.

I am pregant now so will take only a small dose until delivery (200mcg).

How did you find out Mark had CFS? I have been trying to figure out what motivated that man to become so knowledgeable about immunity for the last 4 years - and he was not talking. I did get the impression that he is no longer dealing with illness. Do you know if he still struggles with symtoms?
  8. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Just started trying this product, on day two of taking with D-ribose (on 2nd week) and I have got to say that I feel better than I have in a while. Fingers crossed.

Bumping for others to see
  9. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

Mr. Konlee explained why "plant-based" selenium is the only form you should use.

Here is a short excerpt from the Townsend Newsletter, May 2004:

"In contrast, Keep Hope Alive has received over 20 cases in which a plant-based selenium supplement has "completely resolved many cases of long standing candidiasis and, [has] reduced fatigue, increased T cell counts and WBCs, restored the ability to sweat and restored pure whiteness to the whites of the eyes. Not one case of adverse effects has been reported in the past year from using plant-based selenium supplements at dosages up to 1800 mcg daily." These supplements are made from high-selenium mustard greens (e.g., Ecological Formulas's "Selenium Cruciferate" or Solaray's "Bio-Active Selenium"), high-selenium broccoli (e.g., Jarrow Formulas "Activated Selenium"), or selenium-yeast (Source Natural's "Selenomax"). The L-selenomethionine supplements, promoted as an amino acid chelate, are actually "an inorganic selenium in a base of L-methionine," according to Konlee's conversation with one company's employee."

------------------------------------------------------
    The nutritional industry offers many forms of selenium, with chelated forms often being highly recommended for better absorption. However, it appears that bio-active selenium is the only form that can be recommended in light of recent findings.

To your good health.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/14/2006]
  10. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Just wondered if it had any benefit for you.
    Thanks for posting about the plant based variety, will look for these on net.

Cheers
    Sue
  11. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Immune Restoration Handbook. He also states that Selenium is good for those people who need thyroid and mitochondria support. Take 400-800mcg daily of Phytosel(high-selenium mustard greens) or high-selenium yeast-helps convert T4 to T3. My blood work taken last week showed that my T3 went up. It's now slightly in the normal range. I've been taking it for 2 months now at 800mcg. I buy Jarrow's brand which is made by using broccoli. Selenium, he says, is also found in Brazil nuts, fish, seaweed and brewers yeast.

He also says "the importance of avoiding synthetic selenium compounds..... "These include any dietary supplements simply called "Selenium" and containing any of the following substances: sodium selenite, sodium elenite, L-selenomethionine or selenium aspartate. Sodium selenite and elenite are beneficial and effectively assimilated, but have adverse effects at doses over 500mcg daily. At 1000 mcg daily, your hair may start to fall out, so avoid these supplements in the higher dosage range. L-selenomethionine and selenium aspartate are made in a laboratory and in 14 cases I have followed, failed to provide any benefits."

There is so much great information in his book, I wouldn't even know where to begin to share it with everyone. I can highly recommend the book though. It's nearly 300 pages of greatness! Not easy reading though. It's more like a text book of information. You can get it at www.keephopealive.org. Some of the money goes to charity & research. Or you can buy it at amazon.com.

skierchik
  12. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Good post.

Jennifer
  13. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Has selenium helped you?
  14. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I just ordered a different type of Selenium than the brand I've been using. Jarrow is the old one and it uses broccoli. My thyroid has been worse (the TSH, the T3 is slightly better) and I don't know if the broccoli is the culprit. People with hypothyroidism are not supposed to eat brocolli or cabbage more than twice a week. So I decided to order Ecological Formula's brand of selenium made with mustard greens. I ordered it through familypharmacy.net. It was really hard to find this. I'll let ya know how it goes.

skierchik
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2006]
  15. Scapper

Scapper New Member

This post had caught my eye way back when, since I'm one who has candida numbers off the charts.

I was wondering how you felt with the Ecological Formulas brand of Selenium? I know they make quality supplements and was thinking of ordering from them.

Anyone else have any luck w/ selenium?

I think this is next on my list. My body is telling me it's time (in it's not so gentle way :)

Thanks, scapper
  16. ncats

ncats New Member

Very interesting!
    I was at the vitamin shoppe today and found this.
    Does this sound like you can take the 800mg dose?

DescriptionDelivers selenium within the infinite complexity of food
    Whole – food probiotic selenium is up to 64 times more active than in its purified form
    The premier mineral for normal cell growth and enhanced detoxification
    We at New Chapter™ provide you an organic probiotic alternative to isolated or USP vitamins and minerals. All of our vitamins and minerals are cultured in organic soy using nature’s most prized and studied probiotics, featuring Lactobacilli acidophilus, bifidus, rhamnosus, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. New Chapter’s Probiotic Nutrients™ deliver biotransformed vitamins and minerals in their finest cultured form, much in the same way as miso, kefir, tempeh, and yogurt. Your New Chapter nutrients:
    Are easy to digest, even on an empty stomach – they’re cultured whole food!
    Deliver essential nutrients in their safest and most active form within the infinite complexity of whole food.
    Provide an energizing and protective array of cultured soy isoflavones, beta glucans, bacteriocins, bioflavonoids, SOD, glutathione, lipoic acid and enzymes.
    Selenium Food Complex™ delivers easily digested and highly active probiotic selenium as well as 9 free – radical scavenging herbs cultured for maximum effectiveness. Herbs like cinnamon, oregano, and rosemary are revered for countering oxidation and providing key health benefits that support and sustain. The addition of supercritical ginger and turmeric extracts maximizes bioavailability and efficacy.

Thanks!
    NCATS