For any smokers here - please read

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kjade, Mar 28, 2010.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I am sure you may be aware of the new FSC cigarettes. They are meant to be more safe by going out if they are not smoked to prevent fires. However, I have learned that they are extremely dangerous, and it is totally irresponsible for the government to be interfering with this product.

If you would like to read more or you would like to sign a petition repealing this action, please check out this site:

Quote from the article:

"The Fire Safe Cigarette Initiative promoted by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Coalition for Fire Safe Cigarettes has resulted in laws in affect or passed, pending enforcement in States/Commonwealths requiring all retail locations to sell only Fire Safe Cigarettes (FSC) to consumers. Fire safe cigarettes have two layers of paper with %u201Cspeed bumps%u201D mixed with higher levels of chemicals than regular cigarettes. Such FSC cigarettes will burn out within one minute if the cigarette is not inhaled. The Citizens Against Fire Safe Cigarettes appeal to State/Commonwealth governments to review the facts and repeal the FSC laws. Failure to do so will result in increased health costs and deaths. If not repealed, the CAFSC will seek legal recourse through the judicial system and State Superior Courts. If necessary, the appeal will be made to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Identified Hazards

1) Cigarette company literature and health officials have identified %u201Clight%u201D cigarettes as no less dangerous than regular cigarettes. Such light cigarettes contain equal amounts of carbon monoxide. The affect and harm of cigarette smoke varies depending upon the smoker%u2019s habit of taking longer, deeper and more frequent puffs on the cigarette. This is a widely accepted fact. Fire Safe Cigarettes require that a smoker inhale in less than one minute or the cigarette will extinguish itself. The need to keep a FSC cigarette burning increases the number of inhales per cigarette, and thus increases the amount of tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide intake into the smoker%u2019s lungs. The result is more health-risk damage to the smoker.

2) The Fire Safe Cigarette design has resulted in more frequent ash, which may fall and ignite more fires than regular cigarettes.

3) Having to relight cigarettes increases the potential for more fire related accidents with matches and lighters.

4) The added and higher level chemicals contained in FSC cigarettes has proven to be more toxic than regular cigarettes and cause increased health related problems for smokers. Symptoms/conditions include, but are not limited to: Nausea, Sores in mouth and throat, Dry throat, constant headaches, extreme coughing, tightness in the chest, vomiting, body aches, pain in the abdomen and respiratory conditions including asthma and bronchitis.

a. The Harvard School of Health reported that when comparing NY Cigarettes (FSC) versus Regular Cigarettes, the FSC cigarettes produced 13.9% more Naphthalene and 11.4% more carbon monoxide than regular cigarettes.[1] Naphthalene is commonly found in moth balls, and exposure in high amounts can result in %u201CSymptoms of acute exposure include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, malaise, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions, and coma.%u201D[2] Therefore, it has been proven that FSC cigarettes contain higher levels of chemicals that are harmful to smokers.

b. Phillip Morris USA has reported that the Adhesive ethylene vinyl acetate and polyvinyl acetate are used in the non-tobacco ingredients of cigarettes produced as a Side-seam adhesive. However, Phillip Morris USA fails to distinguish the differences in levels between regular and FSC cigarettes. The amount does not exceed .6 % combined.[3] Since additional layers of paper are used in FSC cigarettes, more adhesive is needed in the form of ethylene vinyl acetate.

Safe smoking habits of responsible adults prevent fatalities from burning cigarettes. It is up to individuals to responsibly extinguish cigarettes. The creation of FSC cigarettes has created numerous hazards which cause more fatalities and problems than the small amount of lives saved from fires with the FSC cigarettes in use. Not only are the FSC cigarettes unsafe to smokers, it presents health problems and increases the damage of cigarettes. Due to inadequate testing by Cigarette Companies and government agencies, the FSC cigarette poses real and identified dangers to the smoking public. Therefore, the FSC laws are detrimental to the public good and must be repealed immediately."

BILLCAMO New Member

I have my own opinions about FSC cigs and our government "taking care of us....."......I'll leave this opinion that the FSC cigs are NOT GOOD for anyone.........Let alone for us fighting these DD's...

Yes , we all should quit smoking.......One question I haven't seen raised very often is : If we all quit smoking , what will it do to the "tax base" .....?

All I know for sure is that if everyone quits smoking is that "they" will raise the taxes elsewhere..........taxes keep "our" government running...

Blessings ,

(Well , at least you received one
    [This Message was Edited on 03/30/2010]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres another 'reply' along witg Bill's :). I smoke More cigarettes, when you put them down they go out, if you don't puff on them for a few seconds, they go out. They have been on the market for longer than I can remember!

I would not try anything the goverment suggested!!!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

of such cigarettes. They sound extra poisonous.

Decades ago some comic used to do a routine on smoking. Bill Cosby or
    Bob Newhart, maybe. When tobacco was introduced to Europe:

Now let me see if I've got this right. You roll up this weed in some
    paper and then you light it on fire and you suck on it? WHY?

5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Of those cigarettes either. Why do I smoke? well just the very last of my bad habits! Guess its just something to do with my 'hands' :).......................

But I would not touch anything the goverment suggested. The More is put out by R.J.Reynolds. They have been out for a very longtime.

I smoke about 1/2 pack a day where I would smoke a whole pack of regular brands.

I so not recommend smoking for anyone, its my bad habit!

Shalom, Shirl

6. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi Bill, Shirl & Rock-
    FSC is not a brand or type of cigarette - not sure if that is what you were thinking Rock & Shirl. FSC means "fire safety compliant" or something like that. The government has "ORDERED" all tobacco companies to change the paper they use to make the cigarettes to meet "THEIR" guidelines. What I have posted above is what this new paper is made from. From what I understand there were a few brands that were not using FSC paper, but I think as of 1/1/10, ALL tobacco companies were ordered to comply.

I guess it is "safer" because the paper causes the cigarette to go out if it is not smoked for a minute. Therefore they think there will be less house fires caused by cigarettes. I'd be more than willing to bet that this was NOT DONE by the government to insure there would be less house fires and to make a "safer" cigarette. I have many, many theories about that.

No one is saying that smoking is healthy or good for you. We all know that it's not. However, there are a LOT of things that aren't good for people - a LOT of things - but you don't hear the government ordering the makers of those products to change the way they make their product and causing it to be MORE harmful. Although, how would we really know? Does this make any sense to anyone??

What if you enjoyed Pepsi, and you drank a lot of it. You know it's not good for you, and recent studies have been done that say that daily consumption of Cola type drinks now can cause pancreatic cancer. But you enjoy it, and you drink it anyway. You may go as far as to say you are addicted to your pepsi. Then one day the government steps in and decides that they want to make the Pepsi "safer" so they ORDER ALL companies who make such products to change their product completely. They order them to add MORE chemicals that are EXTREMELY harmful. Chemicals they KNOW are going to make people very sick. And the companies have no choice but to comply, knowing they may lose a lot of sales because people will stop drinking their product. The new cola may taste terrible, and after you drink it you become so nauseous you nearly pass out. But you are addicted and you continue to drink it. Wouldn't you be terribly angry about that???

My point is that they are slowly taking over a LOT of things. Things they have no business sticking their noses into. It is going to happen to Pepsi too someday....I'd be willing to bet. Smokers were not given any choice over this new law - in fact, not much was even released in the news about it. A friend of mine returned her cigs twice to the store, thinking the packs she got (when this first changed) were bad or stale. To find out they tasted bad because they changed the paper. The paper which is FULL of chemicals that are extremely harmful.

Either they are trying to just get rid of all of the smokers (really, don't they have other more important things to worry about??) or they are trying to get everyone to quit by changing the product so drastically that no one wants to smoke anymore. And you are right Bill.....the tobacco industry in this country is really big business, and they make a lot of money from it. So why would they want to lose that?? Makes no sense to me. And I am still not buying that this was done so that there would be less house fires. If you ask any smokers, they will tell you that the cigarettes are now MORE dangerous because the ashes fly off everywhere, and the burning paper just falls all over the place, which is more dangerous than a person here or there who falls asleep with a lit cigarette.

So anyway, I hope I got across the point I was trying to make. I wanted to make folks out there aware of what is going on. Whether you agree with smoking or not, this is not right, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it. That is why I signed the petition at the site I linked. They could even be looking at class action lawsuits in the future. Do they care? Probably not.

ETA: Shirl do your More cigs have FSC over the bar code on the side of the pack? If they do, yours are made from that paper which is why they go out so quickly. My dad rolls his own cigarettes, but that sounds like an awful lot of work to me. [This Message was Edited on 04/01/2010]
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The information. No, the More does not have FSC on the bar code 'YET', but I guess its coming ( I just checked the latest carton I got). More's come in a brown paper not white, always did.

If they do change it, I will do like your Dad, role my own! I have no problem with that. I do not smoke that much anyway.

Yes, you did get your point across, and that was some awesome information in both your posts. I thank you very much. As much as I listen to the news, somehow I missed this about the cigarettes.

I am well aware of all that this goverment is trying, and quite successfully I might add, taking over what we all do, and can't do.

People need to read their history about Nazi Germany, Russia, and China. Its all spelled out for us in those books. This country is headed down the road of the above ones because the text books these days water down the history of this world as well as America. The old saying: 'If you do not know your history, you are doomed to repeat it'.

You are a very smart lady, I admire you for what you have wrote and how well you put it.

My son is a high school teacher, and is shocked at how little if any, of history that is left to teach this generation! He always calls me as I am a history buff to fill him in when they leave out the 'important' details. Believe me, they leave out entire events that have happened in this world that should be taught to this generation of children.

Again, thank you. I enjoyed reading what you wrote, as well as between the 'lines'.............

Shalom, Shirl

BILLCAMO New Member

The chemical(s) HAVE NOT been "specifically" tested with this application.

Today I found out that "the government" wants to increase the tax amount on "pipe tobacco" by about 750%......That's the "backy" that most use to roll their own.

HHHHMMMMMM, it makes me wonder,,,,,,is the government more worried about our health , welfare , or income for "them" ?

Also , beware , many "UPCS" may not show the FSC may show up somewhere else on the package....usually fairly close.

Blessings ,

9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I was 10 years old when my mom died of a stroke and I remember the drs saying that her 2 pk a day habit was a big contributor to the stroke and her death.

I always remembered that and I know thats why I never tried smoking.
  10. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

is this only being changed with the packs of cigs and they are Not changing
    the paper on the cartons of Tubes for self rolling tobacco?

BILLCAMO New Member

I've heard that "they" are also considering the FSC stuff for rolling papers and adding taxes to the roll your own options.... ESPECIALLY ....if the tax on "pipe backy" tax increase doesn't fly......If it does fly , "they'll" most likely try those options later....

blessings ,

12. jole

jole Member

I just logged on for a minute and saw this. Unfortunately, I feel there is a much deeper agenda here than meets the eye, and it scares me to death (and I hope I'm wrong). One of the upper admin people in Washington made the comment about having the banks, auto industries, schools, and next would go after the farmers.

If the government can somehow shut down the farmers and acquire all their land, can you imagine what that would mean? No, this is not idle gossip, I saw it on the news and wish my foggy brain could remember the name of the man who said it. But he was one of the President's kingpins. We are in for a rough ride in my opinion.........Jole
  13. butterflydream

were they speaking of Tobacco Farmers or All such Farmers Crop Lands ?
  14. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I always wondered about this when they first came out. Kept telling myself and a friend of mine that I bet its more toxic now since they have fire-safe stuff added to it. Now my theories or thoughts have been confirmed.

Thanks for posting this!

If there could be proof that there are less house fires with the fire safe cigarettes, we could compare it to people becoming ill with these cigarettes? It's sort of hard to prove without the research done on both ends, but it should be done.[This Message was Edited on 04/17/2010]

BILLCAMO New Member

I gained limited access to the internet/puter and just couldn't resist this humorous/sarcastic reply.....

There is no proof that FSC cigs reduces house fires......however.....

Whether a person smokes....or not.......

If we remain alive , we can still pay taxes.....

Just a little "health care" food for thought.

Blessings ,

16. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm glad you share my sarcastic humor! You see it how I see it.

Fight :)
  17. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Unfortunately, they are beginning to do this in other industries besides tobacco. Their new targets are "sodium" and "high fructose corn syrup'. Like everyone here has said, they may not be good for you, but the government should not stick their nose into private business.

Consumers decide.... If people don't want sodium or High Fructose corn syrup in the foods/beverages, they can choose alternative brands. If high sodium and high fructose corn syrup foods and beverages have competition by new brands using low sodium and real sugar, then let consumers decide what they want to buy and let the other companies adjust or go out of business.

As for smoking, those who smoke, know the risk of "fire danger" I mean DUH the cigarette is on fire!!!!!!!!! Changing the paper doesn't really change the risk that much. It is still a burning piece of paper, that may go out a little bit sooner. But if it is dropped onto something and starts a fire because its hot and the item is flammable, is it really going to matter if the outside of the cigarette is different paper. It's the tobacco that is still going to burn hot. Plus it said after 1 minute it would go out, 1 minute is a long time, not sure it really cuts down the fire risk by very much.

18. butterflydream

i wonder if they thought changing the paper of these cigs
    could help prevent fires in wooded areas and such.
    Possibly when someone may toss a cig out the window of a car,
    now cig would prevent these types of Fires.

Just a thought of why this change could have been made.
  19. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

It is not cigarette smoke but vapor and comes in all flavors. The oil is a oil that comes from vegetables. Check out the E-cigarette forum online. I have as of today totally given up real cigs.