For anyone interested in my update...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LadyDragon, Sep 21, 2002.

1. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

2 months ago, I was in terrible pain, and arguing with my then doctor, because he would not prescribe beneficial pain medication. I decided to switch doctors, and found one that was supposed to be very knowledgeable about fibro. He poked and prodded, checked and rechecked, diagnosed the fibro again, and also diagnosed sciatica on both sides. He then took me off all meds but Wellbutrin (its the only anti-depressant I can tolerate). I went through 2 weeks of hell, and cussed the doctor constantly. Well, made it to next appointment, and was given Orudis for pain. This, my friends, is a prescription strength aspirin. He also prescribed Sonata for sleep, and Allegra, because I had undiagnosed allergies. Along with this, he gave me Celexa. Within 4 days, I was crying all the time, and trying to find a hole to bury myself in.. I called doc, and he immediately took me off the hated Celexa. Well, to make a never-ending story short (too late for that), I joined a weightlifting class that has a personal trainer, and began a regiment of training exercises. Have been to 4 classes, and my pain has virtually been cut in half. I have more energy, and am able to remember things much better than before. My trainer says I'm not in bad shape, just need toning and muscle strengthening. I would advice weight training, with a competent trainer, to anyone who is not yet ready to give up to the couch. It seems to be working for me... and I'm actually (dare I say) getting back into life again.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2002]
  2. LadyDragon

LadyDragon New Member

2 months ago, I was in terrible pain, and arguing with my then doctor, because he would not prescribe beneficial pain medication. I decided to switch doctors, and found one that was supposed to be very knowledgeable about fibro. He poked and prodded, checked and rechecked, diagnosed the fibro again, and also diagnosed sciatica on both sides. He then took me off all meds but Wellbutrin (its the only anti-depressant I can tolerate). I went through 2 weeks of hell, and cussed the doctor constantly. Well, made it to next appointment, and was given Orudis for pain. This, my friends, is a prescription strength aspirin. He also prescribed Sonata for sleep, and Allegra, because I had undiagnosed allergies. Along with this, he gave me Celexa. Within 4 days, I was crying all the time, and trying to find a hole to bury myself in.. I called doc, and he immediately took me off the hated Celexa. Well, to make a never-ending story short (too late for that), I joined a weightlifting class that has a personal trainer, and began a regiment of training exercises. Have been to 4 classes, and my pain has virtually been cut in half. I have more energy, and am able to remember things much better than before. My trainer says I'm not in bad shape, just need toning and muscle strengthening. I would advice weight training, with a competent trainer, to anyone who is not yet ready to give up to the couch. It seems to be working for me... and I'm actually (dare I say) getting back into life again.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2002]
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

im so glad to hear you are doing better ,i agree that weight lefting with a personal can help some a grate deal its worderful that you have found something to help,my thoghts will be with you for continued improvement
  4. toniad

toniad New Member

if i overdo it, i pay, if i underdo it, i pay. i am in water therapy 2 x a week, and required to walk 30 min a day, yeah right.

i can't do it all, i'm a single mom and a fulltime college student, with the fms and pain and the emotional toll, i can't get past the pain. i'm trying, really hard at times, to get into a better place, but the pain still exists.

where did you find the strength (phys and mental) to go to weight training class? i'm petrified of exertion, becuz 9 out of 10 times that i overdo it, i pay. i walked my daughter to school the other morning (2 1/2 miles roundtrip) and paid dearly that day.

I'm glad you found something to help! That is awesome! Good luck in your continued success!

Tonia D.
  5. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

So glad you've found something that is helping you & thanks for sharing such positive news.

Tonia, you sound like me & why, I believe, LadyD said a competent traniner for what she's doing is important... overdoing makes you pay. Since you're so busy with everything, I would talk to your dr &/or look online for guidance...for me, I had to start exercising 3-5 minutes at a time, then build up from there. Stretching is also really important for us. There's some good articles in the library about this. Good luck in this, cause I know it's hard to pace yourself when you have so many priority things that have to be done.

Take care, Michele
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

They only weigh 2 lbs and I use them while sitting in my chair watching TV. The reason I use them is to keep my arms and shoulder from athroping (SP?). I also use a pulley that hangs over a closed door. I sit down to do this also.

Now 2 lbs may not sound heavy to a normal person or a person who has done this for a long time.
    I am recovering from 2 Rotaor Cuff surgerys and also for the disc's in my neck, I cannot use weight's any heavier than that because of the damage done to my body.
    But I can tell it works to help me keep what range of motion I do have in my arm, I can't hold anything heavy, like a gal of milk in the right arm/hand.

I do walk everyday, up to 3 times and for a mile each time, but I'm slow and I had to work up to it, which is easy to do when your car breaks down and you have to take a bus everywhere. lol.

Any form of excerise is good for you as long as you don't overdo. What is excerise, I say, and I know who am I?, that any movement of the body is excerise. I even like to chair dance, I can get through 2 dance's of the Electric slide, which I do before the walking club meets.

Two years ago I was a real basket case, till I took matters into my own hands and worked out a schudule (SP?) that works for me, and also a plan of action for my body.

I plan on one day being able to lift 5lbs, don't laugh, I know it sounds funny, but I am a very strong whimp because I do lift the 2 lbs now.

Sincerely,
    kredca4/sharon
  7. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Sharon!! 2 pounds does sound impressive to me! I think you've found a way to make that 4 letter word (hee), exercise, seem fun!

I just bought a stationary bike yesterday. And I'm actually excited about it, lol. Who woulda thought? I'd love to walk but I live in the middle of a pretty steep hill, 4 miles all downhill....the uphill was what I was concerned about! lol

[ advertisement ]