For anyone who's had a SLEEP STUDY..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by camelgirl, Feb 27, 2003.

1. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

I'm going in for one on 3/13 and just had a question about this...how do they tell what kind of sleep you're getting from just one night's observation?...anyone who may know, i appreciate your input.
    peace,hugs,god bless, camelgirl
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I can't give you a scientific answer to your question, but I can tell you what I was told by the director of the sleep lab I was at for my test.
    He said sleep disorders show up so plainly, that they will register, unless of course, you don't sleep at all. Also, you have to be able to sleep on your back to see if you have sleep apnea or not. They couldn't tell if I had apnea, because I can't fall asleep that way, and never sleep that way at all unless I'm way too hot.
    Also, for certain types of disorders, they have you stay at the lab all day and try to take naps. That's what they did for my husband, who turned out to have an inherited sleep problem, that has nothing to do with FMS/CFS, which he doesn't have.
    I remember that I slept much better at the lab than I usually sleep at home, and was worried that my test might be normal, but it wasn't normal at all. So, don't worry, try to relax!
    Also, if you have irritable bladder, be sure to insist on a potty chair in your room (placed out of line of sight of the cameras!), since once you are hooked up to all the wires, you can't leave the room!
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  3. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

as far as the potty chair thing goes, i don't have any kidneys so i don't tinkle at all, but thanks for the warning anyway:)
    peace,hugs,god bless, camelgirl
  4. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

it's almost 6am and i've been up since 3 so i just figured i'd fish around for more info.
    thanks, camelgirl
  5. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

The process they use for a sleep study is actually quite interesting. They put electrodes every place. I guess it is to monitor movement, nerve reactions, brain activity and your breath. The sleep clinic I went to had a intercom system so that if I needed to use the bathroom the respiratory tech would come and unhook me from the electrode center. I just had to call her name and she would respond for any reason. There is a lead they put just below your nostrils to monitor your breathing and this tells if you quit breathing and if you snore. I was able to look at the graphs that measured numerous categories on my sleep study and found it quite interesting. Most importantly, just relax and try to get some sleep. Good luck!
  6. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member