For EllenComstock****

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pawprints, Nov 30, 2005.

1. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Hi Ellen:

I am posting for the first time. I noticed you mentioned something that helped your IC. I suffer badly from this on top of CFIDS and could use some relief. Can you elaborate on the product? Also someone mentioned baking soda capsules to help IC...I wonder where I can find this or how to make?

Thanks for any information.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2005]
  2. fibro15

fibro15 New Member

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I'm so sorry you also suffer from IC. A urologist I saw at the Cleveland Clinic recommended a product called Prelief. You can get it over the counter at most drug stores. If they don't have it, they can probably order it for you. It comes in white tablets or a powder. The tablets come in bottles of 120 and cost around $12.00. I order mine online from CVS and they are shipped right to my house-really convenient.

You may have to play with the dosage to find the amount that helps you. Because my IC is so bad, I have to take more. What Prelief does is neutralize the acid in foods that are so irritating to the bladder. You might start with two tablets with each meal and see if that helps. I have to take three and sometimes four (depending on what I am eating). You can also take more at bedtime.

My urologist told me it will not interfere with any meds you may be taking and there are no side effects. It is mainly calcium and magnesium. I take these as vitamin supplements, but for some reason they didn't help like the Prelief does. My IC is 80% better now. Of course, if I get really stressed out, I will have a flare-up of symptoms.

If will be helpful for you to get a list of foods that are high in acid. I'm thinking that there is a list of foods on the Prelief website. I know we can't give out website addresses here, but the address is simple. You simply do the name of this product and then dot com. I was surprised by some foods like yogurt, which I have almost every day. To be on the safe side, I just take it with every meal even if I don't think I am having any of the high acid foods. I also carry a bottle in my purse for when we eat out.

Also, don't forget to take Prelief between meals if you have a drink that is high in acid like tea, coffee, carbonated beverages, fruit juices, lemonade, etc.

I hope this helps you. I wish someone had told me about this years ago. It would have eliminated a lot of suffering and sleepless nights running to the bathroom every 20 minutes. Good luck.

Ellen
  4. pawprints

pawprints New Member

Thanks for your help. I will try the Prelief with each meal.

I eat yogurt almost everyday and guess I will have to give that up for the bladder to improve.

Did you stop eating the yogurt or just take the Prelief with it?

Regards,
    Shana
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

No, I didn't give up any foods. Just remember to take Prelief with it. Of course I wouldn't recommend drinking orange juice all day long, for example. That would probably be a bit much.

I hope this helps you. Keep me updated.

Ellen
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi. Hope you don't mind me cutting in. I have IC but it's much milder now.

My doc told me to take tums during the day to alkalize my urine, plus take one teaspoon of baking soda in a full glass of water to cut the pain.

It helped me. Hope you feel better soon.