For empty2void.....concern and questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nanie46, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Kelly,

I was reading your post in the thread about "who had improvements in 2008?" and also read your profile info and made some observations which in turn leads me to my question.....

I wondered if you have ever had an IgG and IgM Western Blot for Lyme Borrellia done through Igenex lab?

While we all have alot of symptoms in common, yours particularly struck me as suspicious. I have been doing alot of research about lyme and other tick-borne diseases lately and I am pursuing this testing myself.

I have learned that chronic viral infections commonly co-exist, as well as mycoplasmas, and others.

The symptoms of lyme can look like FM, CFS, Lupus, MS, and other conditions.

In the articles that I have read, the symptoms you mentioned that made me wonder are:

pain, fatigue, sleep problems, pleurisy (chest wall pain listed in Dr Burrascano's paper), sinus infection and attention deficit disorder (mentioned in essay by Dr John D Bleiweiss), depression, and blurry vision. I saw that you have been Dx with mild SLE.

I have classic FM symptoms and viral issues also. I still suspect lyme in addition to that and hope to have the Igenex testing done soon.

It can be hard to find a Dr to order it, because they think that the lyme screen is good enough and that other labs can perform these tests. Unfortunately, it has been shown that other labs are unreliable and usually show negative results.

It is imperitive that it be done through Igenex from everything I have read. Igenex is a lab specializing is lyme and other tick-borne diseases which commonly co-exist such as Babesiosis, Bartonella, and Ehrlichia.

I have had FM for 22 years and always thought there is no way I could have lyme because I never had the bullseye rash and I don't have joint pain.

After reading some of the posts on this board by other with FM or CFS who have been Dx with lyme, I started doing some research. I was astounded by the overlap of symptoms and now I am convinced that all people with FM or CFS shoud have the Igenex Western Blot.

Igenex requires prepayment and then you can submit it to your insurance.

Some of the very informative lyme papers I have read and recommend others with CFS or FM read are:

"Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease-Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick-Borne Illnesses", Sept 2005 by Joseph J Burrascano Jr, MD.........this is found at:

"When to Suspect Lyme" by John D Bleiweiss, MD....found at:

there are some very good websites...just a couple are:

I know you may be thinking that there is no way that lyme is part of your problem. I just have to wonder and wish that all of us with FM and CFS would pursue this possibility.

Best Wishes,

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I am glad to hear that you have been thinking about the possibility of lyme. Perhaps your antibiotics in the past were not at the correct dosages and for a long enough period of time to really help you.

Dr Burrascano outlines treatment guidelines in his paper. I hope we both get the Igenex western blot done soon.

Best of luck,
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi again,

I just remembered that you said you were taking steroids for your SLE. I hope you don't have lyme because Dr Burrascano says in his paper that steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in lyme.

I am not saying you don't have lupus , but I do remember that in Dr Bleiweiss's essay, he mentions some lyme patients with a malar rash, although not commonly. It is amazing how all these symptoms can overlap.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Kelly,

I hope you too find out exactly what you have and don't have.

Yes, I read in Dr Burrascano's paper that Lyme is a clinical diagnosis usually supported by labwork. I haven't had the testing yet, but I feel sure that if I am positive, I would NEVER have gotten a lyme diagnosis without the labwork....the Dr's here are just too closed-minded. That's the part that's so frustrating.

I have come to the conclusion...and I have worked in healthcare since 1984....that if you don't have the ability to do some research and advocate for yourself, you might as well hang it up. That's why everyone just takes a pill for every problem they have....Dr's are so pharmaceutical driven.

They don't really seem to care about finding the source of a problem and eradicating it....just take a pill to cover it up.