for europeans who take supplements/herbal meds....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sybil, Sep 3, 2002.

1. sybil

sybil New Member

i suggest you go to your nearest health food store..'Holland and Barretts'.or any other shop that sells herbal,vitamins,supplements and ask for a leaflet on the new European Community Directive on the control of these treatments.

the brief outline of the directive is.....

food supplements,vitamins,minerals....this law has now been passed.

the directive will set a maximum level of nutrients allowed in supplements,purely for safety.
    high strength vitamins,supplements,minerals will have to be diluted down to only a fraction of what is available to consumers today.the high dose ones will not be allowed to be sold at all.

traditional herbal medicinal products directive.....europe is now in the process of fast-tracking this law through Brussels.it will remove hundreds of,'safe'remedies from health stores.

herbal remedies will be forced into the regulatory proceedures of pharmacutical drugs.meaning many small producers will not be able to afford expensive licensing proceedures.
    herbal products will have to show evidence they have been on the market for more than 30 years.15 of which must be in Europe.products that do not meet this criteria will be banned.
    because of the 30 year rule...no new herbal products will be allowed on the market.
    the directive also excludes products that contain a combination of herbal extracts and nutrients.these will no longer be allowed......

i got this information on a leaflet in one of the u.k. major health food chains,'Holland and Barrets'..for those of you who are interested,this health food chain have a petiton to protest against the directive... some of the famous people who have supported this are.....

sir paul mc'cartney
    simon le bon
    phil collins
    jools holland
    holly johnson
    carl palmer
    rick parfitt
    neneh cherry
    maddy prior
    suzi quatro
    francis rossi
    rick wakeman
    charlie watts
    john williams
    thom yorke

i hope european site members will fine this helpful...

sybilxxx

2. sybil

sybil New Member

i suggest you go to your nearest health food store..'Holland and Barretts'.or any other shop that sells herbal,vitamins,supplements and ask for a leaflet on the new European Community Directive on the control of these treatments.

the brief outline of the directive is.....

food supplements,vitamins,minerals....this law has now been passed.

the directive will set a maximum level of nutrients allowed in supplements,purely for safety.
    high strength vitamins,supplements,minerals will have to be diluted down to only a fraction of what is available to consumers today.the high dose ones will not be allowed to be sold at all.

traditional herbal medicinal products directive.....europe is now in the process of fast-tracking this law through Brussels.it will remove hundreds of,'safe'remedies from health stores.

herbal remedies will be forced into the regulatory proceedures of pharmacutical drugs.meaning many small producers will not be able to afford expensive licensing proceedures.
    herbal products will have to show evidence they have been on the market for more than 30 years.15 of which must be in Europe.products that do not meet this criteria will be banned.
    because of the 30 year rule...no new herbal products will be allowed on the market.
    the directive also excludes products that contain a combination of herbal extracts and nutrients.these will no longer be allowed......

i got this information on a leaflet in one of the u.k. major health food chains,'Holland and Barrets'..for those of you who are interested,this health food chain have a petiton to protest against the directive... some of the famous people who have supported this are.....

sir paul mc'cartney
    simon le bon
    phil collins
    jools holland
    holly johnson
    carl palmer
    rick parfitt
    neneh cherry
    maddy prior
    suzi quatro
    francis rossi
    rick wakeman
    charlie watts
    john williams
    thom yorke

i hope european site members will fine this helpful...

sybilxxx

3. Jeweller

Jeweller New Member

Check out the 2 posts I just bumped for you by Sharon R and psigrl. Very interesting...

Ros