For everyone over age 50....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Roxi, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Roxi

Roxi New Member

we could have post polio syndrome. I've been reading about it and sent an e-mail to Dr. Richard Bruno who wrote back with his opinion that I probably have it. Anyone else here have it or think they might?
  2. Roxi

Roxi New Member

we could have post polio syndrome. I've been reading about it and sent an e-mail to Dr. Richard Bruno who wrote back with his opinion that I probably have it. Anyone else here have it or think they might?
  3. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I developed a sudden onset fever, pain and lethargy. Tests showed that I had polio, but there were never any other symptoms. Life went on and I never developed any signs that we know are related to Polio. I have often wondered about this, myself.
    Love,
    Kady
  4. Roxi

Roxi New Member

by searching post polio syndrome on the web. It's all our symptoms...fatigue, muscle pain, the works! Treatment is strict avoidance of physical stress to slow down getting worse. So get someone else to carry the groceries! Talk to your doctor about it and get referred to a Neurologist if you can.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I watched my mother suffer from post-polio syndrome and get worse as she got older. She went from a limp due to nine months in bed with polio, to a cane, then crutches, then a wheelchair and finally was in bed for the last 2 yrs. of her life. The only thing she had in common with my FMS was pain. As long as she had transportation, she was able to function normally in life, and to work all day, including typing for hours on end. From my close up perspective, the two are very different. Some of us could certainly have been mis-diagnosed, however.
    Klutzo
  6. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Your Mom was obviously exceptionally tough! Fatigue is a part of post polio too. I wonder because I am definately weaker than last year yet all the FM data as well as my doctor says FM never gets any worse but never gets any better. Your thoughts?