For Fun === Amaze the Time Traveler

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4everkid, Aug 18, 2008.

1. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Imagine this:

You are lounging on the porch when suddenly a visitor materializes on your lawn... from 1978! At first the time-traveler is unimpressed. No flying cars... no silver jumpsuits... it appears that nothing much has changed in 30 years.

So what do you show them to impress them with just how much things HAVE changed?

The first thing I would do is bring him inside and show him my computer. Email, IM, Google, GoogleEarth, the internet- all right here in my house - and everyone has one!

If I could tear him away from that, I would take him for a ride. A quick stop to fill the gas tank and a trip to the grocery store will scare the crap out of him! But the cool debit card I used at both places will make up for it.

A call comes in on my Star Trek like cell phone and the Time Traveler is impressed, so I show him my Ipod.

What would YOU do to impress the time traveler? What would you show him that has changed in our world in the last 30 years?
  2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Take him/her to the nearest amusement park to see all of the new rides. Take him/or her on a few rides to see how long it took before they were impressed with technology.

I would also take them to the nearest dealership to see all of the new cars, and the price tags. Next stop would be the gas station... LOL!!!!! What was the price of gas in 1978?????
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2008]
  3. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Hopefully the time traveler will not be in a hurry to get back. There is a lot to cover!

A visit to New Orleans and the surrounding area, and to NY, to the site of the Twin Towers will show him how terrorism and natural disaster has changed the face of our country.

While the TT may have been expecting to see robots roaming freely in his imagined version of the future, we can at least show him a cloned sheep!

I think one thing that will impress him is the lack of litter scattered about, like it was back in his time.

He may think we have done nothing in the ladies fashion world though. Hip-hugging bell bottoms and the tops that are in style right now, are very reminiscent of the 70's. The short, spikey mens hairstyles, and the popularity of shaved heads will come as a shock, coming from the era of long, hippie hair on men.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

the time traveler would be amazed at the new gadgets and horrified at current prices, as suggested already.

He/she might be disappointed that we still seem to have the same old problems; might even think some of them are worse now.

While I have no wish to live forever, I think it would be interesting to be able to come back about every 50 years, just for a couple days, to take a look around.

Is Stephen King still popular? Do people still listen to Elvis. Is Madonna still performing? Have we made great strides regarding peace, overpopulation, distribution of wealth, citizens' rights, medical advances, education, etc.?

Interesting question, 4ever.

5. victoria

victoria New Member

actually the time traveller might be surprised to see how cheap some things can be gotten now, due to goods being made elsewhere in the world. Furniture is one. Clothing has definitely gotten cheaper than the 70s... I know cuz I used to sew because of the high prices! There's no reason to now. That will likely change tho as economies change...

The scary part would be to see how outsourcing has worked, how the US at least doesn't make much in the way of "hard goods" like steel etc... and how the minimum wage has shrunk and how hard it has become to make a living due to all of that. And how much more expensive, yet necessary, college is. And let's not mention health costs and increased taxes!

I think the biggest thing tho would be the internet as someone else mentioned..... being able to research so easily anything you want plus the easy availability of info and contacting people, like here, instantaneously. Then there's things like vonage, etc.

Also less pollution in many places... not necessarily due to outsourcing either... and probably s/he'd be surprised tho that our cars are still so fuel-inefficient and reliant on oil and polluting as much as they still do.

I don't know how I'd feel being transported into the future - there's both good and bad, I guess it's to be expected!

[This Message was Edited on 08/18/2008]
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think I'd also have to grab my purse and show him my new I Phone 3G. Something tells me he'd be amazed with it for hours.

Now if I could just find a few hours myself to figure out all the neat things it can do.....

7. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

John Lennon is dead??? And George too?

WOW! That's Walmart??? The place got HUGE! No wonder... it ate a grocery store!

Why did everyone shoot death glances at me when I lit a cigarette at the store?

The VW Bug is STILL around?

You can make the picture you just took of me come out of that computer right now???

Why do your cans have their own private trash container?

Why are all the teenagers pants falling down?

What the heck is Fibromyalgia?
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

take him to the Pub and show him that although the prices of beer etc have gone up astronomically, it hasn't kept the Scots from their favourite pastime.

9. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I would show him all the progress we've made in the Wars on Poverty, Illiteracy, Gangs, Drugs, Bad Guys, etc. Maybe take him to a big city hospital emergency room? lol

We do seem to have made progress in cleaning up after ourselves, though I wonder if we are still just doing same things, and just making things prettier.

Maybe take him to a few garage sales to show how our economy works?:)

Take him to Dubai to show him the great architecture the U.S. dollar has created? lol

We really have made some great progress, though seems more in technology fields (and in escaping from physical and mental reality) than in human sanity.

Show him the average contents of the modern American medicine closet?

Oh,well. Actually is all kind of amusing. Cheers, really, mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

mrbill, you wrote:
    Maybe take him to a few garage sales to show how our economy works?:)

Better yet, show him/her EBAY and what things are selling for from the 1970s as 'nostalgic'!!!!

11. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

And the time traveler probably thought old Superman comics were expensive then! bill
  12. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

There are so many reality shows now....and such a bunch of junk to waste our time watching.

The language and sexuality flaunted on TV is surely going to be a shock to him.

Oh, and see those strange box like things hooked up to the TV? Those are for video, not Pong, but real computer graphics with amazing capabilities. Watch how our children waste hours a day trying to get to the next "level" rather than running around outside and riding their bikes. Our kids now are rather sedate and couch potato-ish.

TT will be amazed at the hundreds of channels my Directv dish brings into my livingroom (whether I like it or not). You may have to show him how to put locks on some of the risque shows that my 13 yr old boy has no business watching.

And before you go....check out the satelite radio that my husband has in his truck. So many choices.....