for Jaimy in answer to your question on "triggers"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohmyaching, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

It is suggested that CFS may work with our immune system. There are two parts to our immune system. One is
    called TH2 or humoral immunity. This immunity system produces hundreds of white blood
    cells such as macrophages that attack disease in the blood. The big guns of our immune
    system is TH1 or cellular immunity which has “killer” cells. This immune system attacks
    disease in the cells. It is suggested that CFS is able to create a shift in these two immunity
    systems increasing humoral response and decreasing cellular response.
    In order for immune cells to fight disease they must be activated or taught to recognize
    what to destroy. It is believed that this illness is able to invade the young immune cells
    before they are activated against the disease and prevent them from becoming fully
    activated. Because immune response to cellular disease is weakened by CFS the disease is
    able to “hide” in these immature cells.
    When we are sick our body may respond to illness (or other stressors) by producing
    thousands of immature immune cells. It would seem then that according to this theory this
    provides thousands of hiding places for the illness. One defining symptom of this disease is
    the fact that it "seems" to develop after a severe illness.
    Ack ,hope I got my facts right, I’m no researcher and my brain isn’t what it should be to
    contemplate such things. Anyway that’s the theory.
  2. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

It is suggested that CFS may work with our immune system. There are two parts to our immune system. One is
    called TH2 or humoral immunity. This immunity system produces hundreds of white blood
    cells such as macrophages that attack disease in the blood. The big guns of our immune
    system is TH1 or cellular immunity which has “killer” cells. This immune system attacks
    disease in the cells. It is suggested that CFS is able to create a shift in these two immunity
    systems increasing humoral response and decreasing cellular response.
    In order for immune cells to fight disease they must be activated or taught to recognize
    what to destroy. It is believed that this illness is able to invade the young immune cells
    before they are activated against the disease and prevent them from becoming fully
    activated. Because immune response to cellular disease is weakened by CFS the disease is
    able to “hide” in these immature cells.
    When we are sick our body may respond to illness (or other stressors) by producing
    thousands of immature immune cells. It would seem then that according to this theory this
    provides thousands of hiding places for the illness. One defining symptom of this disease is
    the fact that it "seems" to develop after a severe illness.
    Ack ,hope I got my facts right, I’m no researcher and my brain isn’t what it should be to
    contemplate such things. Anyway that’s the theory.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is why our immune systems can overreact to some things and underreact to others. I would guess you are right that our immune systems cannot clean out the stealth types of viruses and bacteria which set up shop in our bodies.

Love, Mikie
  4. Junie

Junie New Member

Hi Jamie, The only direct ( or so it seems )occurance I can associate with what I beleive to be Fibro ( now in process of determining )happened about 14 years ago. My husband works with the public,also test drives cars. He came home with something and a week later I had it. We both had the same symptoms, very tired ( I wanted to sleep a lot ) both had aching that moved around your body, even jaws. This hit us several times the first 3 or 4 years, seemingly in the winter mos. As time went along, mine seemed to hit me if I did repetitious movement -- just as if I'd had the flu after about 2 days of expending physical energy. I would have to just sit and rest for a couple of days then get back to normal. For a while, it seemed to lessen but I had my elderly mother to care for the last 5 out of 6 years and this May it just came out of nowhere and have had the symptoms almost continiously and worse that ever befor.
    I have had a lot of the other things mentioned, Alcoholic home, Scoliosis, in 2 wrecks ( one-a pick-up landed on me )lots of Female/endocrine problems, abdominal exploratory surgery, l4 laminectomey, Complete hsyterectomey
    Low Thyroid, and on HRT ( Premarin ) for 20 yrs.,sleep disturbance for abt.6 yrs, stomach problems off and on.
    Would be interested in knowing if anyone else has tried Malic Acid with Magnesium and if so the results. Or anything else that has helped. Massage seems to help for a few days. However at times, if my husband rubs my back, it seems to set off the stinging and aching. Its also as if any place that touches the matress,is set off . Prior to this, I have had more problems with pain at night but seems now to be hanging on into the am's and just very tired til about noon.
    sorry this is so long.
    pj
  5. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

At one point I heard that aloe vera juice would cure this illness. So off I went to buy the juice. I took it and felt wonderful....while I was taking it. When I stopped taking it the symptoms returned with a vengence. I tried it again ...same results. I think this caused my health to plummet because I have never really recovered to the same health I felt before taking it. Later after I heard this theory I stumbled on the article about aloe vera again. The article said that aloe vera causes the number of immune cells, macrophages, in our system to greatly increase. I began to wonder if instead of making myself well I made myself sicker. I believe I read where Cheney warns that you can make yourself worse if you aren't careful about your treatment because of the imbalance in our immune system, at least I think I did.
    I recently got the pnuemonia shot/vacination....haven't felt so great since then either. Don't vacinations cause an increase in immune cells?
    Cheney has said that ampligen works at restoring abberant immune pathways. Don't know if that still applies.
    I had a doctor with CFS. It was awhile ago. I believe she said she was taking ampligen. I seem to recall thinking at the time that that was good for her since she was a doctor she could afford it, but what about the rest of us? Someone posted a message saying that there was a study on ampligen in Virginia which would supply it free. Sometimes I think that maybe I should move there and get in the trial.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2002]
  6. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Thought I'd bump this to be sure you saw and included Junie's answer in your poll.
    Don't know if you saw the following article by Dr. Lapp. He discusses triggers.
    http://www.immunesupport.com/library/bulletinarticle.cfm?ID=3942&PROD=P290
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2002]