for Klutzo re blood type diets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Klutzo

Have just been trying to get my head around all the info in "Eat right 4 your blood type" by Dr Peter Adamo. This is far more advanced and useful than the metabolic typing we covered on the clinical nutrition course I attended. In fact it's so good I will be making this a part of the diet sheet for my GP to hand out to ohers. Thanks for pushing this in your posts and messages.

Just need to get my understanding of this a bit clearer. Can't remember my blood type, it's so long since I last donated blood, but I can find out on Monday. Type O seems relevant but not entirely for me. Father is classic O blood in terms of personality, being very active, health problems etc and his diet is close to that recommended. At 76 he's much fitter and healthier than most of his peers. My mother on the other hand is classic A, her diet is fairly close to the recommended one, her medical history and that of her mother and grandmother fit too.

Well they do say that opposites attract.

Well as far as the three of us go personality and preferences wise my brother is classic O, my sister is classic A but I'm somewhere in between.

So would you, in those circumstances, look at an interaction between the two groups. Some of the classic food intolerances of group 0 fit but I also react badly to some of the others.

I can ask my parents about their blood groups, also my brother and sister, and that should give me some ideas. I do know that in the past the lighter animal proteins and veg suited, when after recovering from a PE I needed to lose some weight and get fit again.

I do feel this may come up with others, so before I go much further on putting this diet, water, and sea salt sheet together I thought I'd bounce this off you.

Any in put would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 06/17/2003]
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I think you've got me mixed up with someone else! I have said repeatedly that the blood typing diet is not specific enough, and I recommend The Metabolic Typing Diet as outlined in the book of the same name. There is a lot of info on this program on the website of Dr. Jospeh Mercola as well. The book has a 65 question test to help you determine your correct diet, even if you don't know your blood type or ancestry, because the nutritionist who wrote it, along with 4 other nutritionists, already did the research and knows how people of different ancestries and blood types will answer the questions.
    I don't know what you were taught in your course, but this is much more specific than blood typing alone. It must have been something different than the Metabolic Typing I'm talking about, but going by the same name.
    For example, I am blood type A, which according to the blood typing diet should be a vegetarian. That's exactly what I always was until last year, so it fit. However, the result of all those years of eating unopposed carbs was obesity, insulin resistance and Metabolic Syndrome. I also did not realize until I went high protein after taking the Metabolic Typing test, that my IBS was being primarily caused by the carbs. My bloated stomach collapsed like a cake when you slam the oven door, after only 2 weeks on high protein. A life long diarreha problem disappeared also.
    Then there are the rules of genetic inheritance. You could come from a whole family full of type A's, for instance, and with one type O relative thrown in, you could end up as an O, since O is the dominant gene.
    I just do not feel this is enough to go on, and may lead a person wildly astray of where they really should be.
    I cannot say enough good about Metabolic Typing. I lost 17 lbs. in the first month, 25 pts. off my cholesterol, and over 100 pts. off my triglycerides. I got control over my sugar cravings. I would never have tried it if I had not been desperate, since I do not like to eat animals, and would eat almost nothing but carbs if I just did what I like.
    I would not trust blood type alone as a reliable indicator.
    Sincerely,
    Klutzo
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

Your info's been really helpful. I realised on reading this book that there were so many loopholes. I found them in my own case and I got confused, didn't want to lead others into misleading or confusing sources of info. Will be looking this up on the web.

That questionaire sounds much better. Not everyone can trace their ancestory and as we all know genetics aren't straight forward, some things can skip a generation or two.

Did you find the results of this questionaire a good base to start from? That's what I'm trying to find for this info sheet. I will cover the fact that some people find diets similar to Atkins and Sommers helpful and then references (with examples) so that they can go on from there and find what suits them best. The very thing I'm trying to avoid is leading them up yet another garden path, there's been too much of that in the history of these DDs.

Did cover metabolic typing on my course but that was some years ago now and I feel sure a lot of progress has been made since then.

Cheers

Tansy
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The Metabolic Typing questionairre is very complicated, so much so that you may have to keep a diary for several days to answer some of the questions, unless you have already kept diaries of how you feel after eating various items.
    This is one of those cases, like the Guai treatment, where you really do need to get the book!
    The book also has pictures to make you think about some things you may never have thought about. One reason this book really hit me is that I had often watched the nightly news and commented to my husband when pictures of half-starved African natives were shown, "Look at the perfect teeth on those people. How is that possible when they don't have our advanced society and "good" nutrition?" I always thought the uneven facial features and crooked teeth most of us have were normal until I read this book!
    You won't be wasting your money if you buy it. I know Amazon has it since that's where I got my copy.
    Klutzo
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

I had already decided I had to get this book, I never recommend anything unless I've checked it out or had recommendations from those whom I believe to be the right people. If it's not available through amazon uk will get it from the states.

Not worried about how complicated it is for me, used to struggling through with uncooperative brain. My diet's improved things but I know it still isn't right. The critters don't help but our bodies need support in order to heal and diet's a major part of that.

Talk about a voyage of discovery.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have seen for people with our illnesses is to stop eating white flour, white rice, white potatoes, and sugar in all it's forms. Don't eat processed foods. Eat fresh veggies and fruit and get plenty of protein.

The Atkins, SomerSize, and Syndrome X diets all endorse this. I've lost 24 pounds, my cholesterol went from 191 to 168 and all my lipids improved, and my blood pressure fell to low/normal.

It needn't be complicated. I just like the SomerSize diet because she has wonderful recipes.

Love, Mikie
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

These will be in the basic info once I can source the best books for people to refer to. Found good ones on Atkins and Syndrome X but not the Somersize diet. Any ideas on that?

I will of course be pointing out the baddies that everyone should avoid, and why, very briefly.

Just want some additional sources of info too for those who feel these diets aren't working. I know they're helping me but I haven't got it right yet, could be down to all those critters of course, only time will tell.

Cheers

Tansy
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

NOBODY should eat processed carbos, with Fibro or not. Even if you turn out to be the Carbo type on the Metabolic Test, you should eat only complex carbs.
    Now if I could just take my own advice. I stay away from bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, juices, jams, starchy fruits and veggies and alcohol and caffiene OK.
    But, this time of year when it's 90 degrees every day, the butter pecan ice cream keeps calling to me!
    Klutzo
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

I briefly tried the blood type diet but Im type A, all veg, and since raw veggies wreck havoc with my innerds I could survive and felt even more fatigued without protein than ever before.

A naturopath I visited twice said he was type A also and faithfully followed it for 2 years until he became so anemic he had to go to a healthyier diet for his body not blood type.
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

on metabolic typing. Is this the one written by William L Wolcott? If so it is available in the UK which will save people here high shipping costs.

Know what you mean about all those ice creams and sweet goodies. I daren't though, payback's not nice.

Don't know about you but I find it easy to stick to my diet during better patches because I'm more aware of how much it's helping me.

Cheers

Tansy
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

I have just checked at amazon's uk site. which of the following on the Susan Summers diet would you recommend bearin in mind a lot of people cam be underweight too-

"The Schwarzbien Principle Cookbook"
    "The Schwarzbien Principle Truth About Ageing"
    Susan Summers - " Eat Great Lose Weight"
    " Get Skinny on Fabulous Food"
    "Fast and Easy: lose weight the somersize way"

Or is there a better one?

Thanks

Cheers

Tansy
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I keep forgetting that you live "across the pond"!
    Yes, it is the William Wolcott book, but I have no idea if it's available over there. I hope you can find it there.
    Klutzo
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is her most recent, and I think the best, of her books, but they are all good. The newest one does a lot better job of explaining how to combine food types.

Love, Mikie