For Mel - A question on ZMA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Oct 6, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi Mel,
    We should start calling you "Mr. ZMA"! I have been taking it for 3 months now, and at first it was a miracle. It didn't allow me to get rid of , or even cut down my bedtime dose of Xanax, but it did allow me to go to sleep earlier and sleep deeper, awakening without stiffness.
    After I'd been taking it for awhile though, I started waking up after 4 hrs. of sleep, wide awake with my mind racing and my body twitching. I took 5 days off from the ZMA, but didn't want to take any more than that, since I have an MVP as well as FMS, and need the magnesium. When I resumed taking ZMA, I only took one instead of two. That worked at first, but after only a couple nights, I was back to waking up again. I took four more days off ZMA due to gastritis, during which I sure didn't need any extra magnesium, if you get my drift. Last night I started with one ZMA again, and while it produced a sleepy feeling about 45 mins. after I took it, this immediately gave way to the wide awake, racing thoughts and twitching limbs, which then kept me awake until after 3 am.
    Do you think this means I don't need that much of these nutrients? My multi-vit w/mins. has a tiny amt. of Magnesium and Zinc and a good amt. of B6. I hate to give up on ZMA, because when it works, it really works. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi Mel,
    We should start calling you "Mr. ZMA"! I have been taking it for 3 months now, and at first it was a miracle. It didn't allow me to get rid of , or even cut down my bedtime dose of Xanax, but it did allow me to go to sleep earlier and sleep deeper, awakening without stiffness.
    After I'd been taking it for awhile though, I started waking up after 4 hrs. of sleep, wide awake with my mind racing and my body twitching. I took 5 days off from the ZMA, but didn't want to take any more than that, since I have an MVP as well as FMS, and need the magnesium. When I resumed taking ZMA, I only took one instead of two. That worked at first, but after only a couple nights, I was back to waking up again. I took four more days off ZMA due to gastritis, during which I sure didn't need any extra magnesium, if you get my drift. Last night I started with one ZMA again, and while it produced a sleepy feeling about 45 mins. after I took it, this immediately gave way to the wide awake, racing thoughts and twitching limbs, which then kept me awake until after 3 am.
    Do you think this means I don't need that much of these nutrients? My multi-vit w/mins. has a tiny amt. of Magnesium and Zinc and a good amt. of B6. I hate to give up on ZMA, because when it works, it really works. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Klutzo
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Jaimy - I'm pretty sure the limit for B6 is 175 mgs. daily and I am getting nowhere near that, even with the amt. that's in my Multi-vit.
    Mel - got another question for you. Have you ever been depressed? If so, how did you handle it without meds? I will never take tricyclics again because I am obese due to taking them. I will not take SSRI's because I was losing my brains when on one...I made several simple addition errors that caused my bank balance to be $400 off...not at ALL like me! I also had the pressure behind the eyes and the crawling feeling on top of my head that Cheney warns about, after 3 yrs. on an SSRI. Since I got off it, my bankbook balances perfectly again and I am not forgetting everything. I am allergic to St. Johns' Wort, SAMe didn't work, I can't take DL-Phenylalanine or Ginseng because I have high blood pressure. I am SO depressed and so sad and so cynical I can't stand myself. I keep on doing my exercises and have recently upped the amt. and the intensity, but that doesn't help either.
    Any ideas welcomed,
    Klutzo
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hoping Mel will see this before it disappears into the back pages. K
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yohoo,Mel???
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My depression has a 24 hour cycle it goes through, with the low point being when I get up in the morning, and the high point being around midnight. I have also had a manic reaction to an antidepressant, but only one, Welbutrin, and I later had an allergic reaction to it as well. However, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I was doing my Internship in Psychiatric Social Work, I was tuaght that if a person has a manic reaction to any antidepressant then they are undiagnosed manic-depressive. However, I feel no euphoria, suffer no grandiose delusions, do not crave attention nor engage in risky, attention getting behavior. I am just normal every evening, and down in the pits every morning.
    I am glad the SAMe worked for you. It did not for me. Depression runs on one side of my family, so I wish I felt I could use a drug for this as there is probably a chemical component, but none of them ever really worked for me except Luvox, which is very expensive and dangerous to go off of, and made me lose my memory.
    What I really need is to win the lottery so I can go live in a cabin in the woods. That would fix me up better than any drug.
    Thanks for your input, KLutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2002]

[ advertisement ]