For Mel...re: ZMA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Oct 6, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hi Mel,

I hope you're having a beautiful Sunday, as am I! I wanted to ask you about ZMA. In my multivitamin, I get Zinc Oxide 15 mg, Magnesium oxide 100 mg. and Vitamin A( Vitamin A acetate and 40% as beta carotene) 5000 IU.
    How much more of these would ZMA give me? Would ZMA cause nervousness if taken with my MVI? I'm feeling pretty good with this and the other herbal supplements I'm taking so I don't want to mess up a good thing!
    Please advise!
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hi Mel,

I hope you're having a beautiful Sunday, as am I! I wanted to ask you about ZMA. In my multivitamin, I get Zinc Oxide 15 mg, Magnesium oxide 100 mg. and Vitamin A( Vitamin A acetate and 40% as beta carotene) 5000 IU.
    How much more of these would ZMA give me? Would ZMA cause nervousness if taken with my MVI? I'm feeling pretty good with this and the other herbal supplements I'm taking so I don't want to mess up a good thing!
    Please advise!
    Kady
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I also posted a query for Mel on my ZMA problems today, but he appears to be out having fun today...good for him! So, I will try to answer at least a part of your question.
    First, let me tell you that Oxide is cheap and not very well absorbed. It is also more likely to cause diarreha than better forms of magnesium. I would be looking for a better quality Multi-Vit if I were you. Absorption is everything when it comes to supplements.
    ZMA has 15 mg. of Vitamin B-6, 450 mgs. Magnesium aspartate, and 30 mgs. Zinc from L-Methionine and Zinc Aspartate.
    You would need to take 50mgs. of Zinc daily on a regular basis to get too much.
    You would need to take a total of 175 mgs. B-6 on a regular basis to get too much.
    For NORMAL people, more than 300 mgs. Magnesium would be way too much, but for us FMSers, with our documented tissue magnesium deficiency, we need to absorb at least 350 mgs. daily. Too much for us is the amt. that gives you diarreha, and if it is less than 350 mgs. then you can slowly work up to it and get used to it. I got all the way up to 750 mgs. at one point but ZMA is better absorbed so I don't need so much.
    After checking your other supps. to make sure you won't exceed this amt. you should be just fine, UNLESS you have existing kidney disease, in which case you should not take any supplemental Magnesium without discussing it with a doctor first.
    Are you taking your Mulit-vitamin in the morning like most folks do? ZMA is always taken right before bedtime (within an hour before at the max), so there would be no conflict. The only supp. you cannot take with ZMA is Calcium becuase they each interfere with the other's absorption.
    Hope this helps until Mel comes along. Keep bumping this if you want him to see it.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo