For menstruating women

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tibbiecow, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I am a typical sensitive-skinned fibro gal.

I told my husband the other day that I was feeling OK, but my skin was bothering me. He asked what the problem was, and I told him well, I have all these nerve endings in my skin...tee hee.

Anyway, I found the perfect solution to irritated tissues and membranes from the use of tampons, without the gooey feeling of a plastic-backed paper-based pad.

They are called 'Glad-Rags' and they are a pad mede from organic cotton. I thought that it would feel really wet, but I found just the opposite. The best way to describe it is that some of our tissues are supposed to be moist, and the external tissues are supposed to be dry. The cotton wicks the fluid from the moist part down into the pad, and the dry parts stay dry and comfortable. I think the main difference is a lack of plastic backing.

I don't have irritated tissue due to menstruation any more.

Yes, you have to wash them. A good soak in cold water before washing gets them clean.

They are expensive to buy the first time, but after the initial expense there is only the laundry cost, and you aren't leaving plastic to (not) rot in a landfill. After 6 to 9 months, you start saving money versus paper products.

My sister also found me some organic cotton tampons (which I use occasionally if I have to) so to avoid the dioxin in regular tampons.

I bought my GladRags in the local Wild Oats store, but you can google gladrags for more information, and order them online.
  2. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

at the health food/natural goods store...thought about it, just haven't gotten around to trying them.
  3. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to gross everyone out. Obviously, they would not be for everyone, but if you have sensitive skin they are really worth a try. I had to find an alternative to tampons, because I couldn't use them anymore.

I offered the thought for anyone who has very sensitive skin. Fight's posts had me feeling SO bad for her, to have so much pain in such a sensitive area.

I thought they might feel unpleasant, but was surprised that they were quite a lot more comfortable than disposable. And they keep my oh-so-fussy skin happy, when it seems to be most tender.
    As for leaks, I have had so little problem with this because they are not really just a rag, they use special ultra-absorbent terrycloth cotton inside. As I said, it wicks the wet down and away. So if you feel wet, it's time to change. That was the most surprising part, that they felt 'dry' without drying out sensitive tissues.[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2006]