For Mezombie ( Others): by request

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shar6710, Jan 30, 2007.

1. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Mezombie asked for another horse picture and I cannot refuse.

The picture now in my profile a portrait of my Icelandic mare, Vaenting, taken earlier today. It is snowy, very windy and about 20 degrees out-her favorite kind of weather! She hates the summer but loves to roll and take naps in the snow.

Hope you enjoy.

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

You made my day!

What a great portrait! And Vaenting looks totally unfazed. It's amazing you could get that close to her and take such a shot.

With your weather, she must think she's back in the land of her ancestors!
  3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I'm glad I could brighten your day.

As for getting close to my horses to get a picture that's not the problem. Trying to keep them far enough away is the difficult part. I delete a lot of lip and nostril shots! LOL

Thanks for the kudos,

[This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

How many horses do you have? And what breeds? Are you still able to ride at all (I mean, just at a walk)?

I do love these gentle creatures. I was lucky to spend a summer at a camp in Colorado. I spent as much time riding as possible! Western is very different from the English I was originally taught, but I ended up liking it a great deal. It was a terrific way to see the beautiful countryside!

Living in an East Coast city definitely has its pros and cons. I love the cultural and other offerings that are close by, but do miss the country and...horses! The cost of boarding a horse around here is astronomical. People actually "share" horses here! They get together and buy one, share the boarding fees, and arrange a schedule so everyone gets a chance to actually do some riding!

Ah, well. I have to admit, after what happened to Christopher Reeve, I would be a bit scared to ride again. I mean, if I recovered fully. After going through this CFS disaster, I'm a little more risk averse.

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to vicariously enjoy Vaenting. She looks so sweet!
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I only have two horses now. I did have three. But one was supposed to be my DH's and since he never rode I sold him back to the woman I bought him from. So now I have my origional Tennessee Walker, Rocket, who is my first true love, and Vaenting.

Unfortunately I haven't ridden since Feb of 04. I bought Vaenting just before I became sick and have only ridden her twice. I did sit on her once since then just in her stall, no saddle or anything. She is a tiny thing, well maybe not tiny since she is a bit fat, but very short. I haven't measured her but I'm sure she's under 13 hands. I bought her because I thought it would be fun to have a little horse to just hop on bareback.

In the summer of 05 I was in remission, except since I had no diagnosis I thought I was well. Anyway, since I hadn't ridden her much I worked with her on the ground for about a month and had just begun to work with the saddle on when I crashed again.

I have a friend who moved to Jersey. She a couple of horses and says it is unbelievably expensive. She was boarding but now they have finally found a house and gotten it set up for the horses. I'll stick to Ohio, our place may not be fancy but at least it's cheap.

BTW I changed the picture for you. This one was taken yesterday too but I played with it quite a bit. Hope you like it.

6. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Shar... I miss my horse :-(

How beautiful... thank you for sharing... She looks angelic!!
    Give her a carrot and a kiss for me please :)

What a beauty!
  7. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I don't know about angelic... but she is sweet.

Sorry you don't have a horse anymore. I'm so glad I haven't lost mine yet because it would break my heart. They are really the only thing that gets me up and outside everyday, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Glad you liked the picture.

[This Message was Edited on 02/01/2007]
  8. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Shar,

Wow, Vaenting really does look like she's in her element in this photo! I love the windswept mane. And you've really captured the wind and snow. Neat!

I'm sorry, but not surprised, to hear you haven't been able to ride. At least you get to be around your beauties. I bet you Rocket is quite happy in his stall in this weather!

I've had to settle for two cats. As I love animals, this is fine, but I was hoping I would get well enough to walk a dog. And the cats are very entertaining as well as comforting. They love to spoon with me when I have to lie down!

You know, I never intended to live where I do as long as I have. But by now, it would be difficult to move to a place where the cost of living is less expensive and the pace of life slower. What little family I have live in similar places. While I have friends who live in smaller towns (mainly because one spouse is an underemployed English professor or the like), they are not happy there.

And so it goes.

Thanks again for your news update, and the charming photo of Vaenting!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/03/2007]