For Migraine People... ( Cymbalta users)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ibisgirldc, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

The Cymbalta was killing me in terms of the migraines... Or so we suspected. I have chronic migraines anyway, but the headaches were dramatically worse: 4-5 days/week, usually waking up with them, had my first incident in ages that required more serious medical intervention, etc. I'd been on Cymbalta for about a year and it helped a ton with the feeling that i get every AM with swollen legs & feet, creakiness, feeling like i never sleep through the night, etc. Loved it... but those headaches.

Anyway, my doc decided to switch me to Lyrica and almost immediately the migraines disappeared. I'm not sure yet whether it works as well as the cymbalta on the other FM symptoms, but the trade-off (the headaches) was preventing me from getting to work on time, from relaxing on a weekend, causing me to spend crazy hours catching up with work and family missed b/c of the headaches... That's greatly improved since the switch.

Just thought that I'd share. Hope it's useful for someone.
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

It is hard finding the culprit of our problems. Cymbalta is working well for me.......so far. I am so glad that you were able to figure this out.

Gentle Hugs.........Susan
  3. fredrick3

fredrick3 New Member

I'm taking cymbalta for over a year now and knock on wood (actually banging with a hammer if need be ;-)) no headaches.

because...

7 or 8 years ago my Psychiatrist put me on Neurontin and she explained that it was good for anxiety, good for nerve pain ( I hadn't been diagnosed yet but I was so sure I had MS) and prvented migraines. And it does. Unless like me sometimes you forget to take it for a few days cause you feel sooooo good. It is no help for a migraine in progress
  4. jujudub

jujudub New Member

My Neurologist has put me on Neurontin as a prevention for migraines also. I have been on it for 3 weeks now but it has not prevented the migraines. They don't seem to be so severe but they are still there. I am also taking Duridrine, Ibuprofen and Toridal but the migraines are not curbed yet. She now has me taking 600 mg. 5 times a day. Is your dosage that high?
  5. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I was put on these at different times for fm pain. I also have chronic migraines. Neither of these drugs did one thing to help me, and the side effects were unacceptable! (I nearly ran my car off the road and could not walk I was so dizzy on Lyrica!)
    I was put on these drugs because the dr. was afraid to treat my pain properly, with real pain killers!

Now I have a dr. who has my pain somewhat under control through oxycodone, a long acting pain killer. This is what you really need.
    Best of luck,
    Mini
  6. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have been on cymbalta for almost 2 years and it is working great to control pain. Pain killers did not work for me. No migraines yet. I hope this doesn't happen as I went through a time when I would get nigraines a lot.