For Mikie - A Diet Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Oct 6, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi Mikie,
    Are you off of all simple carbs yet? That alone always made me lose at least 1 1/2 lbs. per week. Have you increased your exercise? Or, do you attribute the rapid weight loss to water loss? Or to the combinations in the Somers Diet? I remember many yrs. ago a couple named Harvey and Marilyn Firestone (not sure of last name) had a diet book about eating fruit only by itself and only in the mornings. It was a big hit for awhile.
    Can you explain the basic rules of the Somers Diet like I did with Syndrome X? It would help to see if it is something I haven't tried, before I spend more money on another book. The syndrome X diet does not allow fruits to be eaten alone, except for a few like apples that aren't absorbed fast.
    Your iput, as always, is appreciated,
    Klutzo

2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi Mikie,
    Are you off of all simple carbs yet? That alone always made me lose at least 1 1/2 lbs. per week. Have you increased your exercise? Or, do you attribute the rapid weight loss to water loss? Or to the combinations in the Somers Diet? I remember many yrs. ago a couple named Harvey and Marilyn Firestone (not sure of last name) had a diet book about eating fruit only by itself and only in the mornings. It was a big hit for awhile.
    Can you explain the basic rules of the Somers Diet like I did with Syndrome X? It would help to see if it is something I haven't tried, before I spend more money on another book. The syndrome X diet does not allow fruits to be eaten alone, except for a few like apples that aren't absorbed fast.
    Your iput, as always, is appreciated,
    Klutzo

3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Guess I picked the one day when Mikie wasn't here. K
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Trying to get back to first page. K
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been around, but the messages have moved down very rapidly. It's awfully hard to explain the diet balancing of the Somers' diet. If you go to the bookstore and open one of her books to the front, she explains what can be eaten with what. You can take notes. The most difficult thing is to avoid what she calls the "funky foods" which contain fat and carbs like low-fat milk and yoghurt.

My weight loss is no doubt partially water, but not all of it. I've been in a horrible flare of CFS so the only exercise I'm getting right now is walking (I did go out shopping yesterday and walked quite a bit but am paying for it) and my stretch and flex exercises. I really need to get back to more aerobic and weight training.

The only carbs I am getting is when I eat a little fruit by itself. Somers claims that if one eats fruit with protein, the body cannot break the protein down. Fruit has so much fiber that it digests very slowly and doesn't cause the high insulin reactions seen with refined sugars. Veggies contain a few carbs, but I am avoiding the high-starch ones.

Since I gave up anything made with flour or sugar, I have not craved them. I believe I am eating a lot less because what I do eat is very satisfying. I also don't eat white potatoes or white rice.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've been busy deleting the many messages left by a spammer.

Love, Mikie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You must have jumped on that spammer with both feet because I've been here more today than usual and not seen anything. I will try to find one of Somers' books at the library to look at. Keep us posted and I hope your flare up is over soon.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yeah, I had a ton of her spam to delete, but I banned her, so we shouldn't be bothered by her again. She lies low for a while and then spams us again.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Have you checked Suzanne Somers' website? I don't know whether she has any of the info there or not, but you could check.

BTW, there are several of us now interested in Syndrome X-type diets here and I think we can all be of great help and support to one another.

Love, Mikie
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Is apples a good thing for us to eat? I've been craving apples so I eat like 4 apples a day, is that bad for me?
    Carla
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Apples are full of Malic Acid, which is supposed to be good for those with CFS/FMS. Apples are slowly absorbed and they have lots of fiber, which is good for your bowel. 4 per day is a lot, but I can't think of any real harm it could do you.
    KLutzo
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As Klutzo says, apples do contain malic acid and lots of fiber, so they most likely will not cause a spike in insulin. That said, however, be sure your diet is balanced and that you are not eating mainly carbs, even if they are from fruit. Most of us do much better on a high-protein/low-carb diet. For anyone needing to lose weight, four apples a day is too many carbs until the weight comes down. Once weight is down, four or five servings of fruit is probably OK.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]