For Mikie and others: High Protein Diet Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Oct 28, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hello fellow high protein traveler(s)!
    I am having trouble finding something with enough protein in it to eat for breakfast that does not make me gag. I am eating a hard boiled egg every morning because of this problem, but don't want to do that 7 days/wk. because it may raise my cholesterol, which is awful. I tried sliced turkey but it made me gag. Tomorrow I'm trying salmon, but I fear that may be even worse than turkey.
    Dr. Mercola says the form of the egg makes all the difference in it's effect on cholesterol, but who knows if he's right. He says mixing the white with the yolk will affect cholesterol and should never be done, so no scrambled or omelets! Hard or soft boiled you can get away with 5 eggs/wk. with no effect. Ideally, you should cook the white and eat the yolk raw. He says if you do this you can eat at least 12 eggs per wk. with no effect on your cholesterol because the cholesterol,which is all in the yolk, does not get oxidized if it's raw, and only oxidized cholesterol is a problem. (This is the theory behind taking vitamin E to help prevent heart attack....it prevents oxidation of LDL).
    Anyway, do you eat eggs? Do you have a cholesterol problem? What else do you eat to get your 15 gms. protein at breakfast?
    Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Hugs,
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hello fellow high protein traveler(s)!
    I am having trouble finding something with enough protein in it to eat for breakfast that does not make me gag. I am eating a hard boiled egg every morning because of this problem, but don't want to do that 7 days/wk. because it may raise my cholesterol, which is awful. I tried sliced turkey but it made me gag. Tomorrow I'm trying salmon, but I fear that may be even worse than turkey.
    Dr. Mercola says the form of the egg makes all the difference in it's effect on cholesterol, but who knows if he's right. He says mixing the white with the yolk will affect cholesterol and should never be done, so no scrambled or omelets! Hard or soft boiled you can get away with 5 eggs/wk. with no effect. Ideally, you should cook the white and eat the yolk raw. He says if you do this you can eat at least 12 eggs per wk. with no effect on your cholesterol because the cholesterol,which is all in the yolk, does not get oxidized if it's raw, and only oxidized cholesterol is a problem. (This is the theory behind taking vitamin E to help prevent heart attack....it prevents oxidation of LDL).
    Anyway, do you eat eggs? Do you have a cholesterol problem? What else do you eat to get your 15 gms. protein at breakfast?
    Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Hugs,
    Klutzo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've read that eating one or two eggs a day does not raise cholesterol in normal people. No part of any egg should ever be eaten raw as it can cause salmonella and make you quite sick.

Use your morning meal for carbs. That's the best time to do it when you will be working them off throughout the rest of the day. Have some fruit when your stomach is empty anyway and wait at least 20 minutes before eating anything else. I sometimes eat my curds and whey for breakfast with the cinnamon on it.

Other mornings, I make a ham and cheese omelet. The biggest problem with this is that it keeps me feeling so full all day, I don't want to eat much else. I had an omelet for breakfast (2 eggs) and only had a pear for lunch. I will have turkey breast and veggies for dinner.

Breakfast is the biggest problem, but I don't think eating eggs is going to affect cholesterol. I am going to ask my doc next month to check my cholesterol and see if it has gone down even with my increase in animal fat. According to Suzanne Somers and the Syndrome X people, it is the carbs in refined form which cause the elevated cholesterol.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I wish I had your tiny appetite! The weight would run off of me. Unfortunately, I could easily eat a 4 egg omelete and 4 slices of toast with jam and then eat something again 3 hrs. later! I have always been like that, but until I got Fibro, I was so active that I stayed at a reasonably normal weight. People often commented on how much could eat without getting fat, so one time I kept track of calories for two weeks. It averaged out to 3,900 calories per day!!! However, I walked 5 miles just going to and from work and I walked everywhere else back then too, and skied and skated. OH, for the good ole days.
    Dr. Mercola says healthy people can avoid salmonella simply by taking probiotics, but I don't think of us as healthy, so I agree with you about avoiding the raw eggs.
    Thanks for the input.
    Klutzo
  5. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

LOL! BUT...I will add this one little bit.

I have been diabetic since I was 18 months old, so I have always been under the watchful eyes of numerous doctors, since I could remember. When I was very young, around eight, I had VERY high cholesterol. The doctor I was seeing at the time reviewed my diet with my mom. He saw that I frequently ate eggs and my mom prepared liver (YUCK!) for me once a week. He said that both were no-no's and I was not to eat the yolks or the liver. He said that egg yolks once a week was fine, but no more than that.

After that, I ate only one serving of egg yolks a week, and sometimes not at all. I was no longer forced, by my mom, to eat liver...which as a small child, made me jump for joy! LOL! My cholesterol went down and life went on. That doctor advised my mom to keep me on a low fat diet. No butter, instead margarine. No whole milk, instead 1% or skim. Keep the high fat items down to a minimum, etc.

Since that time, I have tried to follow that sort of diet. In fact, the one time that my cholesterol was high was one year in college. I was on overload credits, eating a lot of fast food and pizza, and NOT taking care of myself. Of course, my blood sugars were not looking too happy either...

Who knows what the answers are? When my cholesterol looks great, I am usually eating VERY healthy. Which includes low everything. I try to maintain a good balance of all foods. Lower carbs, but lower fats and cholesterol, too. I call it the lower "bad stuff" diet! LOL! If I am going to eat something that is high in fat or high in carbs or high in cholesterol, or high in ANYTHING...I try to plan it as a treat. A reward for a job well done. So I have no clue if it is because I am eating lower carbs, lower cholesterol, or lower fat that is keeping my blood sugars and cholesterol in check. I am certainly no expert. I just do what works for me. I think we are all unique little flowers and there is no one standard program that works for everyone. If there was, we would all be on it and living happily, ever after.

Anyway, I just thought that I would relate that one little bit from my childhood. Who knows if it was eliminating the eggs or the liver that was doing it, really. It could have been both or one or neither. I guess the world may never know...
  6. roro

roro New Member

that eggs cause high cholesterol, or any animal products for that matter. there IS however a growing body of evidence that low-carb diets improve the ratio of cholesterol, lower blood pressure and sugar.
    I love two soft poached eggs every morning. real comfort food for me. I sometimes have fruit or a little whole unsweetened yogurt and strawberries too. On the weekends I have omelettes, bacon, lowcarb pancakes, etc.
  7. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I am also trying to get my cholesterol down. I use egg beaters alot in cooking and I also make omelets. I love to cut up onions, green peppers, ham and anything else I can think of to put in them. With so much stuff in them you can't tell that they aren't real eggs.
    My daughter was going to go on the Atkins diet but she was told it was hard on the kidneys and liver. Have any of you heard this? I went on it a few years ago and I felt better on it but am concerned about my cholesterol and also am having liver problems. I would like to do it again. Just afraid to.
    I'm glad this is working for everyone that's doing it. You are doing great Mikie. Twenty pounds is great.

Sapphire
  8. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

some information about eggs....something about the cholesterol in the yellow cancelled out the bad cholesterol in the whites, or vice versa, so eggs are NOT bad for us. They are natures food, how can they be bad? God doesn't make mistakes, man does. Nature's food is good for us, but even in the bible is says to do things in moderation. I eat 60+ eggs a month. Every morning, I have a 2 egg omlette. Sometimes it's filled with fresh mushrooms, green peppers, onions and cheese and other times it's sausage and cheese or ham and cheese. I've been a protien eater, bigtime, since I was a child. I LOVE meat and cheese! My cholesterol is excellent. When a person figures up their cholesterol numberes, 4:5 is the average risk ratio, 5:1 or higher is dangerous, Ideal ratio is 3:5 or lower and I am 3:06.

Marilyn :)
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This is the first time I have ever tried to eat this way. By nature, I am a person who would never eat dead animals at all! Bring on the carbs, esp. pasta and desserts. But, the lower in fat my diet got, even with using only complex carbs, the higher my cholesterol and weight got, so I am trying this high protein stuff in desperation.
    BTW, when I was first told to eat more carbs, less fat and less meat and eggs by the doctor, my risk ratio was 5.1 and I was not overweight at all. After yrs. of doing what the docs said and lowering the fat further and further, my risk ratio is now 8.8 and I am 55 lbs. overweight (that is after losing 15 lbs. on the Metabolic Typing Diet so far).
    Alternative docs have been saying for a long time that cholesterol is not the cause of high cholesterol in the blood, nor of obesity and they blame the high carb/low fat diets most docs are pushing for the obesity epidemic. They say insulin from eating too many carbs is the real cause of the problem. I have to say from my experience they may be right, since eating loads of carbs is what I've always done and look where it got me. BTW, I cannot tolerate any of the cholesterol lowering drugs...I tried 4 of them of different types. So,this is literally life or death for me with the risk ratio I have.
    Those of you who are suceeding at this are an inspiration to me...thank you!
    Klutzo
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Strict high-protein diets like the Atkins diet will put you into a condition called, ketosis, which is hard on the kidneys. That is why Atkins advises this for only a short time in order to kick off the weight loss. You can get test strips for urine which show when you are in ketosis, but it's obvious because the sweat and breath smell horrible and the taste in one's mouth is awful.

I like the Suzanne Somers diet because it doesn't deprive me. On Level I, you can eat fruit which gives you some carbs and keeps you from going into ketosis. The weight loss is not as rapid as with Atkins, but I think it is safer and easier to stay on. Her cookbooks have wonderful recipes. When you get to Level II after you have reached your target rate, you can add a little bread, pasta, or even one of Somers' delicious desserts.

Klutzo, I believe, has literally saved my life by telling us about the Syndrome X book. The forward in Somers' books, written by a doctor in nutrition, says basically the same thing as in the Syndrome X book. It isn't natural fat which causes high cholesterol, it carbs. It also causes high blood pressure and insulin resistance leading to diabetes.

I can't remember when I started the Level I Somers diet, but I think I've been on it about a month now. I've lost 21 pounds. Once the weight loss reaches this point, it is easier to stick with it because the results are so dramatic. The best part is that my blood pressure has gone from high/normal to low/normal.

Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At the bookstore. I'll check it out next time I'm there. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  12. selma

selma New Member

It is very good if you can keep it up.
    Try the rice protein powder or soy protein powder in V8 juice milk or what ever it has no taste of its own.

You'll have more energy in am due to protein!!!

Selma
  13. sapphire

sapphire New Member

The Suzanne Somers diet sounds pretty good. What exactly is the name of her book. I would like to get it. I do know I feel so much better not eating so many carbs.
    Thanks for the info.

Sapphire
  14. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Oh my gosh Klutzo, I sure hope you get your diet and weight under control soon! I just know the Atkins diet will help you! Get his book and read it so that you understand what the whole thing is about. It makes it easier to change your eating habits and also gives you alot of enthusiasm and encouragement.

Mikie, high protien diets only harm kidneys if you already have a kidney problem. Healthy kidneys are not affected. This is just a rumor.

The low carb way of eating does NOT produce bad cholesterol. It only makes common sense that if a person eats REAL, WHOLE food in it's original state, that it will be healthy and certainly much better for us than processed foods. I just wish more people would understand this. Too many still look at fat content when shopping and waste their money on low fat or fat free foods. Did you know that fat free foods just have more sugar added to them to make up for the loss of flavor from taking out the fat? That usually is worse for us, because one thing our bodies DON'T need is more sugar! Especially PROCESSED sugars!

Klutzo, if you don't have the Atkins book, I can send you one. Let me know on the CC board because I might lose this thread.

[This Message was Edited on 10/28/2002]
  15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am already on a combination of the Metabolic Syndrome Diet and the Metabolic Typing Diet, and have lost 16 lbs. in the month I've been on it. It is not as extreme, so I can stick with it better. I believe the Metabolic Typing Diet is the answer, because it is totally individualized, based on the type of Metabolism you inherited.
    I actually ate salmon for breakfast without gagging. I used canned salmon....did you know it has four times the amt. of calcium in fresh? I still use fresh at dinner, but who wants to fire up the grill at 9 am!

MIKIE - thanks for the idea, I'm glad eating your carbs in am works for you, but it would make me want more of them all day long. I prefer to eat my carbs in the evening to help raise my serotonin so I can sleep. I chop a small apple, add fresh, organic plain yougurt, sprinkle cinnamon and wheat germ and 1 tsp.vanilla on it and stir. Yummy.

Have a good day,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2002]
  16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

"I" fire up the grill in the morning if I want a chunk of sirloin instead of an omlette. I grill all winter long too, no matter how deep the snow on the deck is! I also cannot eat carbs in the morning, because then I have a craving for them all day long. I'm an impulsive personality, I want it all or none. I have to abstain completely from carbs or else I go overboard. I guess I'm what they call a carb-addict.

17. lavender_butterfly

lavender_butterfly New Member

Has anyone ever heard of or been on the Sugar Busters diet?

Just curious to hear any opinions on it if anyone has experience with it. I have read some about it and it seems like it would work well for me, but I am one of those skeptical types.

If someone would share, I would be so appreciative! Thanks so much!
  18. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have to go to work in the morning so I don't have time to cook. I try to eat cottage cheese in the morning and sometimes have instant oatmeal that I can make at work. Who is this Dr. Mercola? Did he write a book? What type of diet does he offer? Thanks.

Annette2
  19. James

James Guest

Why not take an undenatured whey protein powdered drink?
    Myself i find it easier taking a protein powder to get the protein I need. It is easier than cooking up a lot of steaks each night, or getting a load of cholesterol to start your morning.. :)

20. pepper

pepper New Member

I'm butting in here and answering your question on Mikie's behalf. I too am a Somersizer and I love it. I have lost over 60 lbs on it and am now trying to lose the last 40 I've gained since getting sick.

I lost the first 60 using Suzanne's second book called "Get Skinny on Fabulous Food" as well as many recipes I found on the internet. I now have her first book "Eat Great Lose Weight" and her third "Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away". She has a lot of easy recipes.

Her philosophy must be very similar to Atkins' because what Marilyn explains in her post is exactly what is given in the intro. to Suzanne's books - i.e. more sugar in the low fat foods and we must eliminate all simple sugars; she also advocates eating real, whole foods, not processed foods. That has to be good for anyone, expecially those of us who are not well.

My sister and two friends have lost 30, 50 and 70 lbs. by Somersizing. I highly recommend it.

Pepper